GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious what kind of mileage you're getting for your Gen2 Volts when in Hold mode for highway driving for extended periods? I'm assuming you're driving between, say, 55 MPH and up to the speed limit.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Between 45-50 -- If I put it in hold just when I am on the on ramp to the interstate. Less if used in other conditions (between 40-43).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
488 Posts
43-44mpg, mostly with a light foot (not Gordon).

·
Registered
157 Posts
38-50 MPG (38 if i'm in 75-80)

avg 44-46MPG

Avg speed 65-75Mph on hwy only.

I don't use HOLD in local roads unless I'm saving last 5-10 miles in EV for home stretch.

·
Registered
440 Posts
42-50. Got a fairly good sample size yesterday. Drove a mix of EV and hold mode. Interstate and 2 lane. 42.3 while running the ICE (243 miles). Was up near 50 for a majority of the trip but had a headwind on the way home.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I drive 57 miles a day on the generator. That's the other half of my round trip commute for work. Cruise control set at 74mph no traffic but an overall elevation gain of just under 1,400'. I'm using 1.7 gallons in 57 miles. If I drop it to 72mph I use 1.5 gallons. 70mph uses 1.3 gallons.
This is night time driving with the heater set on Eco at 74*, and the stereo cranking.
I was hoping for better, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I drive 57 miles a day on the generator. That's the other half of my round trip commute for work. Cruise control set at 74mph no traffic but an overall elevation gain of just under 1,400'. I'm using 1.7 gallons in 57 miles. If I drop it to 72mph I use 1.5 gallons. 70mph uses 1.3 gallons.
This is night time driving with the heater set on Eco at 74*, and the stereo cranking.
I was hoping for better, but it is what it is.
Your numbers sound right on the money. I often take a 200-mile round-trip from San Jose to Napa and back on weekends. Driving with cruise set to 76 most of the time, my 2016 tends to get 36 or 37 MPG. Same as the Gen 1, but regular gasoline. The Gen 1 seemed a tiny bit more efficient at highway speeds.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Going to go for a 380mi trip to Phoenix tomorrow. Lots of elevation change and the speed limit is 75 on much of the interstate. I might try to keep it near 70 mph, but we'll see how badly the horde will smash down on me- I may have to go 80.

·
Registered
695 Posts
About a month ago I took a 107 mile round trip with about half the trip on an interstate at 70 mph and the other half on secondary roads at about 50 mph. I used HOLD mode on the highways and NORMAL mode when off the highway. Ambient temperatures were in the 50's.

The picture below shows that I got 129 MPGe on the battery and 48.0 mpg on gasoline.

Last week I took a 146 round mile trip. It was about 80 miles on secondary roads (up to 50 mph), 20 miles on the interstate, and 46 miles on primary roads (paved shoulders, speeds 50 to 60 mph). Ambient temps on the first leg were in the upper 70's. Climate control was fan only. I used HOLD mode in the interstate and primary roads.

The picture below shows that on the outbound trip, I got 147 MPGe on the battery and 53.2 mpg on gasoline.

On the return trip, I mostly matched the performance, and with 82% of the trip complete, I had 139 MPGe on the battery and 52.9 mpg on gasoline.

However, the last 25 miles took their toll on the ICE efficiency. This part of the journey was on secondary roads with lower speeds limits (50 mph or lower), however, the terrain consisted of a lot of up and down hills. In addition, I had traversed this section of highway earlier in the day with EV power, but by now I had used all 14.2 kWh of the battery pack. Therefore, this section of roadway was done in CS mode.

At my return home, the energy display indicated 139 MPGe on the battery and 50.6 mpg on gasoline.

I think the ICE is optimized when it can operate for extended periods at or near the same power level, like cruising on the highway or primary roads. However, the up and down terrain of the back roads seems keep the ICE constantly changing speeds and probably working outside its best efficiency regime.

Note: There seems to be a problem uploading pictures, so I will try again later.

·
Registered
348 Posts
When I take trips in my 2015 gen1 volt I average 47/48mpg in hold mode.
And I travel whatever the posted speed limit is on the interstate.
I just set the cruise control and RIDE!!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I took my first trip on hold recently in my 2017 when I had to go to my office. This was the first time using the ICE and was about a 200 mile round-trip - hold started when I got on the highway and turned off when I hit local roads.

Doing a little above the posted speed limit (maybe 5-10mph above), I was getting about 38-42mpg.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I'm curious what kind of mileage you're getting for your Gen2 Volts when in Hold mode for highway driving for extended periods? I'm assuming you're driving between, say, 55 MPH and up to the speed limit.
Lots of places around here 55 mph IS the speed limit.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I generally drive 10-15MPH if not in traffic (for every one car that I pass, I get passed by ten) A/C on eco auto at 73f, generally get mid 30s...When I accelerate I generally push the pedal down 66%...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Generally between 44-49 depending on terrain, driving at 65-70 with AC on.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Seems for the weight of the 2016-17 Volt and the mpg obtained just on gas is as good, or probably better than the new Civic, Elantra, Cruze, even though the Volt is packing another 500 lbs or so with the battery pack. Probably the next generation Volt will have a powertrain similar to the 2016 Malibu Hybrid and obtain nearly 50 mpg on cs mode..

I remember the holy grail for a great Volt was 50 mile range on electric and 50 mpg just on the gas engine. Were over on the electric but still need a few more mpg miles on gas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts