GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
After having someone hit my car in a parking lot and taking off...(and before I made my first payment:mad:) I am now looking into getting a dash cam. I have been looking on Amazon and it is almost overwhelming there are so many different types and prices...how do I choose? I live in Florida so the camera will be subject to 6 months of hot weather per year.

Any suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
It seems you get what you pay for. Please check out DashCamTalk to see what fits your desires and budget. They give really detailed reviews and even tell you about similar knock off models.

I would go with a more expensive than normal 2ch (front and rear cam) and has parking mode that will record when the sensors pick up movement while parked. Brands such as BlackVue.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have three cams now:

• BlackVue DR400G -- this was my original setup from a 4 years ago. Relegated it to an accessory cam since last year.
  • B40 A118 -- this is what i use now, have a better form factor IMHO, at a lower price point with better performance than the BlackVue, albeit without GPS and the fancy software.
  • Mini 0805 -- also have this in a different vehicle. Seems to perform better than the B40, especially in low-light conditions, but it's not a very nice form factor, and has limited adjustability due to its design (i think it's meant for an international market with right-hand-drive vehicles.)

The newer 2ch BlackVue's are really good, but very expensive. For that price you are better off getting something like the Mini 0805/0806 and mounting two of them. Most newer dashcams also run on USB now, so you have a bit more flexibility with placement and even running it on an external battery pack which itself plugs into the vehicle -- so you can have back-up power running the cam while the car is off.

The best ones out there are the G1W series cameras (up to version "H" now, i think) and the Panorama S, but they're both a bit bulkier.

Dashcamtalk is a great idea. Lots of real world feedback there!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I wonder how long it will be before car manufacturers just build in dash cam recording as an option.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
GM already has it, just not on the volt.
http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-stingray/performance-data-recorder.html

I don't have the front camera package, but you'd think they would sell that as an update to volts that do have it. A camera is there, sell a device to tap into that feed and record.
I'm sure people would pay a decent amount for the simplicity of that.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'd call the store/centers owners to see if they have security cameras and might have the guy on 'tape'.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've got a G1WH dash cam (you can read about it on dashcamtalk). I tried out a few different ones before settling on this one. The quality is great for the price (amazing actually). It is only a single cam, and it is only running (normally) while the car is on (no parking mode)....but you could always tap into a constant 12 V line in the fuse box.

There is a really cool youtube video of someone installing a mobius dash cam in their volt and tieing into the upper console stack where the onstar, etc buttons are. I tried that with my G1WH, but the power from there couldn't provide the current to power the cam (I'm guessing its because the mobius didn't have a screen is why he could power it from that small light cluster)....still a cool video and very stealth installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goLjp3krjfU

In my opinion the parking mode stuff is kind of over rated. Most dash cams have a 'boot up time' so if you get hit or scraped the culprit could be gone before the cam turns on and starts recording. If you hard wire it, and have a big enough memory card, you only have to notice damage when returning to your car and scan the captured footage to find what happened. As long as you dont leave your car parked for 3 days you should be ok.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd call the store/centers owners to see if they have security cameras and might have the guy on 'tape'.
Hahaha...what a farce...I already tried that but because we didn't see the damage until the next morning the police wouldn't respond and the store will only release video to the responding officer.

·
Registered
287 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi all,
After having someone hit my car in a parking lot and taking off...(and before I made my first payment:mad:) I am now looking into getting a dash cam. I have been looking on Amazon and it is almost overwhelming there are so many different types and prices...how do I choose? I live in Florida so the camera will be subject to 6 months of hot weather per year.

Any suggestions?:confused:
I installed this backup camera in my wife's Subaru. It's works flawlessly and even shows an image quicker than my Volt's backup camera.

I'm so pleased with the build and mounting bracket quality that I'm considering getting their dashcam for my volt.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your replies and comments. I decided to start off low end (but with overall good reviews) with a single forward facing camera that is easy to operate. I got the Black box G1W CB, the "Black Bezel". It has a capacitor vs batteries...good for hot climates. Although I have only had it installed since yesterday, I am very surprised at the video quality. I drove to work this am, still quite dark out, video was good. I still need to figure out a way to hide the cord going to the 12v lighter on the dash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts