GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my new 2017 Premier, Lifted the floor of the hatch area to find molded storage locations. Car jack area but no jack. Inflator and sealer but no cover to hold them down as shown in manual. What are people finding in this storage section? I'm sure I'm missing the cover for the inflator, but what else.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
In my new 2017 Premier, Lifted the floor of the hatch area to find molded storage locations. Car jack area but no jack. Inflator and sealer but no cover to hold them down as shown in manual. What are people finding in this storage section? I'm sure I'm missing the cover for the inflator, but what else.
The "cover" for the inflator and sealer is a rectangular canvas bag with a hole thru the middle that allows it to be fastened down. I believe that the only other item under the floor is a tow bolt stored under the inflator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the bag for the inflator/sealer and the hold down disk. It all fits, including the tow bolt underneath. I think an earlier online posting of the manual made the holder appear like a hard plastic clamshell device. Thanks. Guess no jack though.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I found the bag for the inflator/sealer and the hold down disk. It all fits, including the tow bolt underneath. I think an earlier online posting of the manual made the holder appear like a hard plastic clamshell device. Thanks. Guess no jack though.
Why would you need a jack when there is no spare tire? However, you can purchase a spare tire kit from the dealer's parts department. It is Volt specific, and includes a jack, a nice cover and all the hardware needed to mount it in the rear hatch so that it doesn't move around on its own. It costs about $400 or you could buy the pieces separately and make your own kit for a little less money. There is a thread around here somewhere from a member that put all the parts together.

IMG_2118.jpg

·
Registered
678 Posts
Am I the only one that finds it odd that a $40K car does not come with a spare as standard?

Why would you need a jack when there is no spare tire? However, you can purchase a spare tire kit from the dealer's parts department.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Am I the only one that finds it odd that a $40K car does not come with a spare as standard?
You might be the only one. The $70,000 ELR does not have one. The $110,000 Corvette does not have it. Probably most others.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I dont miss carrying spare,so rare we've used a spare. And in the metro, easy enough to get a reasonably quick tow and not have to worry about trying to change a tire along a busy road.

But to each their own...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I know it's not what the OP is asking, but the "Junk" that should be in the trunk is a duffel bag with a full spare set of clothes, some electronic "flares", A REAL flashlight (like a Nitecore or something) with lithium batteries, A good keep-yer-ears-warm kind of hat, and a bright orange rain poncho. <grin>

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
you may find a road side reflector back there depending on local laws.

·
Registered
568 Posts
It's just something most manufacturers aren't doing these days -- my cheapo $13k kia has a tire well in the truck with room for a full size spare, but doesn't come with one, nor did it come with a jack. All it had was an inflator and a can of that tire sealant. Thankfully never needed either in 70k miles of driving.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I know it's not what the OP is asking, but the "Junk" that should be in the trunk is a duffel bag with a full spare set of clothes, some electronic "flares", A REAL flashlight (like a Nitecore or something) with lithium batteries, A good keep-yer-ears-warm kind of hat, and a bright orange rain poncho. <grin>
I had no idea that such a cool thing existed (The electronic LED flares) Very cool stuff! Found a set of three on amazon for $20 with top reviews. This: https://www.amazon.com/Wagan-EL2639-3-Flashing-Roadside-Emergency/dp/B00C8YXH9C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465800156&sr=8-2&keywords=electronic+flare

Usually what I'll keep in the truck area is a set of tow straps, some zip ties, a pocket poncho, tire iron, and a portable battery jump pack with some extra features (has belt cutter, window smasher, phone charge capability, all in a super small package:

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Current-Starter-10000mAh-Portable/dp/B0191FDZ4C/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1465800549&sr=1-1&keywords=BESTEK+600A+Peak+Current

One thing I'm going to try as well, I have two optimus fuel bottles (1.5L each) that should fit in the rear charge cubby (my EVSE will be permanently mounted at home on a 240V line) I will not be charging with it if I'm away from home. I know 3L doesn't sound like much but in the volt it's enough to get you about 30 miles, they are 100% sealed as well, so no vapors. I have a smaller 1/2 Liter optimus fuel bottle in the "truck" of my Ninja 300, and it doesn't spill a drop or let vapor escape even on rough bike rides.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yeah the LED flares aren't as bright as a traditional magnesium one, but they run FOREVER and you don't risk fire.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Yeah the LED flares aren't as bright as a traditional magnesium one, but they run FOREVER and you don't risk fire.
And you can pick them up and turn them off when you don't need them anymore. And thus maybe use them again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts