GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how high the all-electric range estimate can go. I have a 2018 LT, and driving around town it's not unusual to average around 5 miles/kWh. With 14 kWh usable, I figured 70+ mile estimates were possible, and the other day it finally hit 70 for me. I did a quick look for old posts but didn't find much. What's the highest you've gotten?

Plant Speedometer Vehicle Gauge Automotive design

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Volt
13 Posts
I was wondering how high the all-electric range estimate can go. I have a 2018 LT, and driving around town it's not unusual to average around 5 miles/kWh. With 14 kWh usable, I figured 70+ mile estimates were possible, and the other day it finally hit 70 for me. I did a quick look for old posts but didn't find much. What's the highest you've gotten?

View attachment 173268

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think 71-72 is my record. Would love to see 80 someday.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Don’t know about "estimated range" maximums, but my notes show that several years ago one forum member demonstrated the amazing "electric car, round trip on a single charge" potential of the Volt by driving his 2012 Volt for 81.8 ev miles using 9.8 kWh of power (8.3 miles/kWh) and his wife’s Gen 2 Volt for 114.0 ev miles using 14.4 kWh of power (7.9 miles/kWh). He accomplished this by driving at ~25 mph for hours around and around the road circling a professional football stadium parking lot (i.e., relatively level terrain) until the fully charged battery was fully depleted.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
After driving 70 all electric miles one day in city traffic, I got home and had two miles of estimated range left. Normally I figure 60 miles anytime the morning temps are above about 55F and stay high during the day.

Reactions: BenjaminD

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 90k+ Miles
840 Posts
My highest actual (no mountains) range was 60.8. That was 3 years ago, and I no longer get those numbers. Currently the best actual range on the same route/speed ~50.

If you are not taking the car to zero and fully recharging on a somewhat regular basis, the estimate will not equal reality.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
78? Whoa....Why am i only getting in the 50s miles on a good day on a 2018 volt LT?
It's almost always how and where you're driving. Peak performance is at 23 MPH, level terrain, no wind, warm and dry weather, no stopping. Do all of "not that" for worst: freeway speeds, up and down hills in a crosswind that's pelting you with a cold rain, and you left the car outside overnight so it got a good soaking in the cold for hours.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's almost always how and where you're driving. Peak performance is at 23 MPH, level terrain, no wind, warm and dry weather, no stopping. Do all of "not that" for worst: freeway speeds, up and down hills in a crosswind that's pelting you with a cold rain, and you left the car outside overnight so it got a good soaking in the cold for hours.
I live in san jose and my car is garaged! Right now it is perfect weather 70s. Most I ever got on my charge was 55. So what should i do? I am using a 110 volt if that makes a difference

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I live in san jose and my car is garaged! Right now it is perfect weather 70s. Most I ever got on my charge was 55. So what should i do? I am using a 110 volt if that makes a difference
how you charge the car doesn't make a difference. Biggest thing is slow down. Like, don't go over 30 MPH for a couple of driving days.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As others have said, no stopping, no AC/heat and never go above 45 or 50mph. Your range is normal for reasonable but not hypermile driving.

On my commute where I'm going 15-45 most of the way with the flow of traffic, I'll get 60+ miles per charge without much issue. 65 mph cruise control without traffic is in the 50-55 mile range.

-Charlie

·
Registered
3 Posts

View attachment 173268
I've seen estimates of nearly 100 miles on my 2013 volt.

But those estimates are way wrong-- I usually only get about 25-30 miles on battery on level ground, 35 if I'm aggressively efficient.

Basically, you go on a trip to the mountains and coast most of the way down, say 2-3 hours of mostly coasting, the car becomes convinced that the whole world is a permanent downhill. Not too bright, those mileage indicators...

·
Registered
2 Posts

View attachment 173268

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The above picture was taken yesterday morning. I live in Phoenix Arizona and this is the best time of year for getting good mileage. The lowest mileage anticipated distance has ever been since I've lived here and had this car is 68 miles. It's a 2018Volt.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts