GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not having access to a hydraulic lift to investigate, I found myself asking the following question: where does the Gen2 Volt dispel any exhaust from its generator when its running? Obviously, there's no "tailpipe", but I'm curious how it's vented to the atmosphere (presumably somewhere in the engine compartment area).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aha! At the right rear. They just don't make it visible as for ICE vehicles...perhaps for psychological reasons, as we don't want folks to think the exhaust is active all the time :D

Thanks for the quick reply!

Bruce

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Is it actually on the right rear? Interesting.
Pretty much universally vehicles have exhaust on the side opposite the fuel filler door.
Interesting that gen2 changed that (it was standard opposite-side on gen1)

I had assumed it was some sort of safety thing, should you somehow spill gasoline on a hot exhaust by overfilling your tank (or some other obscure scenario). But perhaps it is just arbitrary design choice that happens to typically turn out as opposite side to the fuel door.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
no, it is on the left rear on gen1 Volts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had assumed it was some sort of safety thing, should you somehow spill gasoline on a hot exhaust by overfilling your tank (or some other obscure scenario). But perhaps it is just arbitrary design choice that happens to typically turn out as opposite side to the fuel door.
It's less a design or safety choice than a practicality choice. There are two or three large, chunky items that take up room on the underside of the rear of the car: the gas tank, the muffler, and (sometimes) the spare tire bulge in the bottom of the trunk. Just as a practical matter, you can't have these items on the same side of the car, so whichever side has the fuel filler door will typically have the fuel tank, and the exhaust will be routed on the other side of the car.

--Chris

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's less a design or safety choice than a practicality choice. There are two or three large, chunky items that take up room on the underside of the rear of the car: the gas tank, the muffler, and (sometimes) the spare tire bulge in the bottom of the trunk. Just as a practical matter, you can't have these items on the same side of the car, so whichever side has the fuel filler door will typically have the fuel tank, and the exhaust will be routed on the other side of the car.

--Chris
And yet, on the Gen2 Volt, the gas filler is above the right rear tire, and exhaust is placed on the right rear underside of the car. Don't ask me why, it just is

1 - 7 of 7 Posts