GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to replace the original equipment wiper blades (Bosch?) on my 2012 Volt. In your view, what is the best wiper blade available? What brand wiper blade has worked well for you. Which wiper blades are best avoided.

The following review suggests that a beam blade is best for me because winter weather is a major consideration where I live:

We researched and tested wiper blades for more than 40 hours, tested top competitors on a handful of cars over the course of a year, and had a rubber engineer analyze samples from 10 leading contenders before reaching an unsatisfying, inevitable conclusion: There is no best windshield wiper blade for most windshields. We looked to the durability of the blade and the material of the rubber to find some superior formula, but nothing stood out.

Aside from fit, the other major consideration is winter weather. If you live in a place with real winter weather, a beam blade is a better choice than an older-style bracket blade because it sheds snow and ice better​
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-windshield-wipers-for-your-car/

I did notice this thread which includes strong opinions regarding wiper blades:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?214513-First-drive-in-heavy-rain&highlight=wiper+blades

In searching Amazon, I saw that Trico markets a winter blade (Trico Ice). Is this any better than others out there? Bosch and Rain-X appear to be top rated by customer feedback.

·
Registered
13,958 Posts
i recently replaced wiper blades on my G1. I went with autozone house brand (something like durablade) and found that the driver side fit fine, but the passenger side one would not slide into the holder. i tried tapping it in with a rubber mallet and the plastic shattered (it was freezing cold when I was changing them). I have no idea why one would fit so nicely and the other would not. I even pullsd the driver side blade off and attempted to put it on the passenger side to no avail. I really need to head back to Autozone with receipt in hand to see what they'll do. So maybe I shouldn't have been such a cheapskate and gotten a Bosch or rainx or trico. But I've changed enough blades to know that new ones work well, trying to pay more for one that lasts longer just doesn't seem to pay off.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The passenger side wiper arm has a metal tab on it to prevent the OEM driver side blade from being installed on the passenger side. This is due to the deflection angle of the OEM blade used for aerodynamics. The drivers side blade, if used would be upside down.

I ended up cutting the little tab off (I used a dremel tool with a sanding drum actually and it took seconds to do) and then am using the Michelin blades sold at Costco and all has been fine. I did that two years ago and have not had any issues. Not all blades sold out there have the GM style of connector included in the package so one must be certain it is before you buy the blades. The OEM are too expensive. In Canada they are like $27 per blade. The Costco ones go on sale for about $9 and are about $11 normally. I replace them annually now due to the relative low cost, especially when on sale.

From what I can tell, the tab does not have anything to do with holding the blade onto the arm and I have had no ill effects what-so-ever on my 2013.

·
Registered
13,958 Posts
Yeah, they just matched the lengths, didn't mention anything about a left or right side.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
On every other vehicle I've had, I've used Bosch. No experience with Volt blades however. I understand the OEM blades are LH/RH specific. Perhaps they offer better aero than the aftermarkets?

Who makes the OEM blades anyway?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
On every other vehicle I've had, I've used Bosch. No experience with Volt blades however. I understand the OEM blades are LH/RH specific. Perhaps they offer better aero than the aftermarkets?

Who makes the OEM blades anyway?
Thy are handed, and it is the aero feature that makes them so. I went with the OEM blades from my dealer at a ridiculous price, and they were made in Europe (Belgium?) by Bosch. I'm completely satisfied apart from the cost; a little on-line shopping should take care of that.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Since the ones on my 2013s have lasted 3 years, I am going to replace them with original equipment from the Dealership.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Go with OEM, they fit perfectly, unlike the Costco ones I tried before. $16.90 each.

eBay item number:

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I had some headaches with aftermarket. Then I got OEM. They work flawlessly. Search online for a good price. They can be cheaper than aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
It's interesting because I think it really depends on the vehicle. For example on my 97 Jeep I really like the rain-x branded blades. They seem to work well and last decently.

HOWEVER

They were a chattering nightmare on my wife's Mazda for no reason that I could determine and we found that Trico worked just fine for her.

With the Volt, I just put new Bosch on it and they've been fine with our crappy weather of late. I did have to learn that there are left and right blades and if you put them on upside down they may chatter at highway speeds.

·
Registered
13,958 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
For the Volt, I dont think you can find a better blade than the OEM. That last longer and are effective. I have tried the aftermarket and they are always a compromise.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Had my Volt for 3 years. After first set of blades wore out I went for the NAPA brand. They lasted a few months then got noisy. Got a pair from the Chevy dealer for $40, better quality than then the NAPA brand and lasted longer.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Had my Volt for 3 years. After first set of blades wore out I went for the NAPA brand. They lasted a few months then got noisy. Got a pair from the Chevy dealer for $40, better quality than then the NAPA brand and lasted longer.
3 years is a long time for a blade to last, how many miles roughly? That is good news.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I repalced mine with Bosch ICON 26OE blades (same blade for both sides). It took all of two minutes to replace. The blades have worked fine. i recently swapped the blades (driver to passenger and vice versa), which took another 2 minutes. Because the blades work in opposing directions, swapping them changed the way they hit the windshield, and the blades work better now (after the swap).

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The Bosch aftermarket blades I tried would not fit on the passenger side even though I wasted a half hour trying, they chattered and they were more expensive than the $15 per blade I paid for OEM which were a breeze to install, and they wipe perfectly with no chatter.

I wish the blade inserts were replaceable. Kind of a shame to throw out the entire blade.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
At the Silicon Valley Auto Show last month, it seemed like almost every new car had the new Bosch Icon-style aero blades. The only exceptions were a couple of low rent Korean cars. Clearly the industry has shifted to them.

·
Registered
13,958 Posts
For the Volt, I dont think you can find a better blade than the OEM. That last longer and are effective. I have tried the aftermarket and they are always a compromise.
Great, I wish I knew that before destroying one of my replacement blades. I'll just call that my stupid tax for trying to be so cheap.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts