GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be in the market ready to go, but when is the best time? We're in no hurry. My thought was towards the end of the year might not be a good time because buyers are looking at locking in the tax rebate, but towards the end of the summer buyers are looking for end of year specials. So I thought maybe in October/November?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Previously, GM has offered 20% off MSRP during the Chevy Bonus Tag Event on new Volts. Right now they're doing it on new Malibu's and Silverado's. If you're in no hurry, that will probably be you best bet, to wait on that 20% to be offered on Volt's as well.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I bought a new 2004 CTS in march of 2005 for $10k off. After I bought my 2013 volt premium in oct 2013 for $23k off a $44k MSRP car, I found a base 2013 volt in April 2014 for about $18k after all the incentives. You just have to be willing to purchase whatever is leftover

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The best time is after you have completely done your homework and have negotiated with yourself and figured out what a great deal is. You can purchase a car anytime once you have done this and truly understand the market. If GM does the 20% off, that just makes it easy; however, you can create a great deal anytime as long as you understand supply and demand.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Last year was 20% off on purchases only in July, April had the best leasing deal in Volt history if you qualified for the $3000 off lease conquest criteria and found a dealer will to apply two of their bonus tags totaling $3000 off and could stack with another $500 incentive and could use GM points...

Most likely not even GM yet knows what incentives they'll release beyond June yet...I would consider joining the CO Farmer's Bureau now, is $40 and it gives you $500 off yet you have to be a member for 30 days...Joining ASAP would get you ready for June although odds are June will not have the model year clearance deals yet (but you'd be ready if they do)...

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
This isn't a simple question to answer. It will depend how you plan to use the car.

Will you keep it for a long time or plan to sell it after a few years? (Is depreciation a concern)
Do you put a lot of mileage on your car?

Basically if you buy a 2017 in October/November when the 2018's are rolling you might get a great deal. However if you plan to only keep it for a few years you would have lost all that benefit in depreciation as soon as you drive it off the lot.

My thoughts - If you plan to keep it for a while and put a lot of miles on your cars buy a 2017 when the model year clear out deals start. If you only plan to keep it a few years with fairly low mileage then get a 2018. There isn't major changes in the 2018 model year so there aren't going to be a huge difference in incentives between the 2017's and 2018's.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Although I have no Volt, I have purchased two GM vehicles in December. This is the month when the least buyers appear in dealers because of the season, and most dealers want to reduce inventory of cars since a "new" model year is "old" the next month. So I recommend saving your money to gather a big down payment and wait until this December to get the best offer for a 2017 Volt.

But this can vary from dealerships to dealerships as some may get "Christmas sales", too, depending on the location and offerings.

As for my case, I bought my 2009 Chevy Equinox on a Sunday in February 2009 because GM was in the bankruptcy stage, and the local GM dealer hasn't sold any vehicles all day. My purchase was the first (maybe the ONLY sale) for that day. Since I didn't haggle the price, I got a zero (0%) interest loan from GMAC (later Ally) in an hour, and many accessories for a 15% manager's discount. All done in less than two hours!

Aftermath
: The original GM dealer closed two years later, and another GM dealer opened which transferred the customer records over. Since I made a special "manager sponsored purchase" I was placed on a "preferred customer list" and get special privileges when I need parts or servicing. And I love it!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I bought mine at the beginning of this month...If I'd have waited until now I would have got a trip to Vegas thrown in from my dealer, however, the Volt wouldn't have still been there as I had a deposit down for a couple of weeks and they mentioned that they could have sold it a couple of times during that time. Supply and demand enters into it and around here there is very limited supply of both Volts and Bolts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
These are the tricks to buying from a franchised auto dealership:

The last Monday before Xmas (12/18, this year)
Especially if it's raining
Bargain for a current year model (not the fake "next year's model")
Find the salesperson that is the most poorly dressed

These stupid games are the reason auto dealerships are hated, so much. Best of luck on your new Volt purchase!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
These are the tricks to buying from a franchised auto dealership:

The last Monday before Xmas (12/18, this year)
Especially if it's raining
Bargain for a current year model (not the fake "next year's model")
Find the salesperson that is the most poorly dressed

These stupid games are the reason auto dealerships are hated, so much. Best of luck on your new Volt purchase!
There has been a trend ever since GM seemed to "sunset" Private Offers, they've moved onto twice a month bonus tags...They get a certain number at the beginning and the middle of the month...You basically need to find a dealer willing to communicate that they're willing to use the tag(s) on your deal and tell you when they'll receive them...With that being said, at any month GM can decide to ax the tags and bring back POs...

The middle of the month offering most likely allows GM to increase/decrease tags based on how sales are going that month and you would imagine dealerships love them because they're in complete control of who and which vehicles qualify...On the deal leasing sites many have reported Chevy dealerships often only give the limited tags to older inventory or vehicles with high MSRPs...

·
Registered
49 Posts
the best time to get a car is when you need it. For instance, Volt's already lease for more than 10% off MSRP and can find volts that sell for even more than off MSRP (seen sale prices as low as $28K for brand new 2017 volts). so if a 20% sale gets you to a 27K sale price, you'll save $1K but have possibly been out a car for months that you might have benefited it. As farm bureau is going away (see https://www.fbadvantage.com/gm), that brings down that savings to a possible $500. If buying 2 months early gives you $250 in benefit (I'd argue possibly more if you do need the car), you benefit.

On the flip side, if you don't need the car, getting a deal that saves you only $1 or $2K isn't something to kill yourself over. Yea, if it was like the march leases where with an asian lease you were practically being paid to take the car, sure, but that's generally not the case, and in those cases the longer you wait, the more valuable the car to money ratio will be to you when you finally do buy.

just my 2c.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
the best time to get a car is when you need it. For instance, Volt's already lease for more than 10% off MSRP and can find volts that sell for even more than off MSRP (seen sale prices as low as $28K for brand new 2017 volts). so if a 20% sale gets you to a 27K sale price, you'll save $1K but have possibly been out a car for months that you might have benefited it. As farm bureau is going away (see https://www.fbadvantage.com/gm), that brings down that savings to a possible $500. If buying 2 months early gives you $250 in benefit (I'd argue possibly more if you do need the car), you benefit.

On the flip side, if you don't need the car, getting a deal that saves you only $1 or $2K isn't something to kill yourself over. Yea, if it was like the march leases where with an asian lease you were practically being paid to take the car, sure, but that's generally not the case, and in those cases the longer you wait, the more valuable the car to money ratio will be to you when you finally do buy.

just my 2c.
Thanks for sharing the FB does appear to be going away...A few have reported their state but it does indeed looks like all states are sunsetting for good...Perhaps the Bolt omitting it was the writing on the wall...Hope they replace it with something, though...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts