GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is a mesh shade. There is a curved wire wrapped be solid fabric on the edges. It fits the size and shape of 2016/2017 Volt, but it is not a 100% perfect fit. It's good enough for its purposed though.

From a distance it looks as if the rear windows are tinted. From the inside, it blocks much of the sun coming in.

We really like it in our 2017 Volt. It has the added benefit that it's easy to install and uninstall without being really attached to the window.

I bought it directly from Chevrolet.com, which has a higher price, but free-shipping.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thank you. I have these mesh shades in my VW also, and they work well (assuming the kids don't take them out of the windows, that is ;-).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Anyone find something similar that fits the hatch window? My child is still in a rear facing seat and the sun is brutal through that... Debating a tint, but would prefer something removable.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone find something similar that fits the hatch window? My child is still in a rear facing seat and the sun is brutal through that... Debating a tint, but would prefer something removable.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
ive been looking too, no luck so far

·
Registered
73 Posts
Be warned, if you lower the rear window too much with these installed, you'll be going back along your route and trying to find them. I know, I did. I learned the hard way, by using the remote to lower all the windows in the spring/summer, to cool the car interior before leaving. Then forgetting to raise the rear windows up. At 30 mph, they both fly out, thank god I was able to go around and find them. Otherwise I love them.

Cheers,
Tross

·
Registered
926 Posts
Have you considered just stuffing a thick cloth at the hatch hinge and letting it drape down behind the rear seat back? The headliner can receive the hook-loop portion of velcro just fine for drapes (don't hang your dry cleaning from it). You don't even have to do the entire back area so your rear-view mirror is still semi-usable. Just have enough width to cover whichever seat your child seat is installed in.

Be warned, if you lower the rear window too much with these installed, you'll be going back along your route and trying to find them. I know, I did. I learned the hard way, by using the remote to lower all the windows in the spring/summer, to cool the car interior before leaving. Then forgetting to raise the rear windows up. At 30 mph, they both fly out, thank god I was able to go around and find them. Otherwise I love them.

Cheers,
Tross
How close a fit is the mesh? Does it also cover that tiny subsection of the rear passengers' window? Would you mind uploading some pictures of the mesh installed?

They command a premium but if they fit tightly around the rear passengers' windows, the premium might be worth it.

·
Registered
926 Posts
After getting a $100 coupon from GM to spend at my dealership, I bought these rear passenger sun shades. They fit fairly well (about 99% fit). See pics for some light leakage at edges of the mesh. All in all, very functional. Unfortunately, I'm starting to wonder if I didn't waste the $100 coupon on the shades and instead should've bought the rubber mats. The mats would've been much more useful for NW weather than sun shades.

If you have a Buy Power card from GM, you might want to go through your junk snail mail as I almost threw it away as junk mail. Was able to purchase the screens at my dealership's parts department using the coupon and paying only $10 in tax (the screens were $100).

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts