GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any figured out how to activate the KeyPass feature from a phone, and what KeyPass is intended to do uniquely compared to the MyChevy mobile app? The instructions on p.44-45 of the manual do not work for activating KeyPass on my phone. From the manual's description, KeyPass allows the driver to control and access the car's status via a direct Bluetooth connection. It references KeyPass as a way to remotely end a DC Fast Charge session, and it's not clear if the the MyChevy app can do this as well.

From my web searches, KeyPass sounds like it may be intended to be used for ZipCar-type car sharing where you loan your car to others for a fee.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The chevy app for iPhone just got an update that says added keypass for chevy bolt. I so wish I could start the car with just a smartwatch w/o needing a key.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well, they would have to make a smartwatch app first... I wish I could use the key fob features from my iWatch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No success on android even with the 1/10/17 new version of the MyChevrolet app. (BTW to pair, launch the app, hit Key Fob, and there should be a banner at the top to begin the process.)

Every time I try, it goes into a Cancel/ReStart pair boot loop on the Bolt. Even if I am able to shoot the QR code in the second before it cancels, it won't validate since it is a one time code and the car has moved on.

Anyone have any KeyPass success on android?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Keypass is simply an enhancement for the MyChevrolet app
It will add additional IP-based features from what we've traditionally seen in the past with the older OnStar based app used on the Volts. (like true passive approach detection)
It also includes a new higher level of anti-theft/tampering with a "seed and key" security scheme designed to thwart potential hacking.
It matches your smart phone to the car's systems (over and above the usual bluetooth pairing) with an encrypted rolling code structure.
The Bolt is to be the first GM product to include Keypass capability, although it has yet to be fully implemented

WOT

Attachments

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
MyCadillac iPhone app updated with KeyPass capability on 1/10/17. V.3.4.0.

Probably not backward compatible.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I got the update of the MyChevrolet app on my iPhone last month, and when I added the Bolt along with the Volt there was an option on the Bolt to set up keypass, but I ignored it since the remote access functions worked fine without it.

Then this morning (MyChevrolet app has had the Bolt added to it for 2 weeks now) all of a sudden the options on the key fob menu were all grayed out (were still fine for the Volt). So I then set up keypass and now can run the fob commands as I had before.

I don't know if this was by design or not.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got the update of the MyChevrolet app on my iPhone last month, and when I added the Bolt along with the Volt there was an option on the Bolt to set up keypass, but I ignored it since the remote access functions worked fine without it.

Then this morning (MyChevrolet app has had the Bolt added to it for 2 weeks now) all of a sudden the options on the key fob menu were all grayed out (were still fine for the Volt). So I then set up keypass and now can run the fob commands as I had before.

I don't know if this was by design or not.
So it's weird... I have two phones (Iphone/Andriod). On my iPhone, all the icons are greyed out, but they aren't on my Android. The iPhone is the device I have connected to KeyPass. SO I'm having the opposite of you. Also, I find that the Keypass does not always connect to the car when I get in.

Very confused as to what this feature really does. I thought at first it might be a way to send a temp 24 code to someones phone to use the car without a key. This is similar to some of those bluetooth door locks for your house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts