GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Y are you asking?

G

·
Yup - 500 a day now (3500 a week) with 5,000 likely by the end of the month. I never really doubted he would turn it around and quickly. It's not rocket science! :p

Don

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Yup - 500 a day now (3500 a week) with 5,000 likely by the end of the month. I never really doubted he would turn it around and quickly. It's not rocket science! :p

Don
My concern was should I buy a CPO MS (which I lust over) and Tesla went belly up, what would happen to their Service Centers, Rangers, Super Charger Network and parts availability. I think this clears the air a bit. Now I just have to win a Lotto Ticket and dig deep into my savings to swing a CPO MS soon.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
And speaking of Tesla, guess all the BIG investors are happy with what they heard at yesterdays Shareholders' meeting.

http://fortune.com/2018/06/05/6-things-we-just-learned-from-teslas-shareholder-meeting/
Even some of us little ones. I attended the meeting. They had a Semi and a Roadster 2.0 parked out front. Qinsp might be impressed with the size of the brake rotors on the Roadster. They were massive. Of course there were many other Teslas parked there - from a Roadster or two, to Model S/X/3 of every color.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
My concern was should I buy a CPO MS (which I lust over) and Tesla went belly up, what would happen to their Service Centers, Rangers, Super Charger Network and parts availability. I think this clears the air a bit. Now I just have to win a Lotto Ticket and dig deep into my savings to swing a CPO MS soon.

Cheers
Depending on a lotto ticket for your dream car isn't the way to go. Make a plan, save the cash (stop leasing or borrowing), and invest to get on the profit side of compounding interest. Plus, learn about the IRS Rule of 55 and/or 72(t)if you want to dig into retirement prior to 59 1/2 without penalty. I for one am not planning to buy another used car again, unless it's a collector car or maybe a used ELR, because I want one. My wife wants to get a Tesla, but I too am waiting to see if they ride out "production hell" as I worry about replacement parts, repairs, etc.

G

·

Don
Actually, if it was rocket science they wouldn't have had a problem figuring out what the other car companies knew all a long, that car production can't be streamlined by using robotics alone.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Mr. Dave, you gave away the answer in the post (readable from the home page)

ModelYTeaser.png

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr. Dave, you gave away the answer in the post (readable from the home page)

ModelYTeaser.png
And the link above it.

It's a MacGuffan.
Very well might be, yes. It was predicted (like it was hard to see coming :rolleyes:). Let's hope the upcoming financials report doesn't follow that prediction. It could be more welcome news for long investors perhaps.

I'm holding out for sustained production, not the premature emaculation. The peeps need jobs.

G

·
Except, Elon is a rocket scientist!!!!
My point, exactly!

If Elon can fly first stage rockets back to the take-off point for re-use as he's sending supplies to the ISS and back, how hard can it be to build a car?

Tesla's not going anywhere anytime soon - I would feel perfectly safe buying one, if anything they make met any of my transportation needs, which they unfortunately don't . . . . because I'd really like to own one. With our two little BEV's, I had to search long and hard to find a practical use for the Volt. It's great for out of town trips but unfortunately when we leave town to travel, we usually have 2 or 3 Segway I2's going with us and the Volt is't too practical as a 'cargo carrier' . . . . hence the seldom driven Ford TC in the garage . . . . sitting beside the seldom driven Volt :p

The good news is, they'll all probably last us for the next 15 or 20 years

Don

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If Elon can fly first stage rockets back to the take-off point for re-use as he's sending supplies to the ISS and back, how hard can it be to build a car?
Right, engineers and technicians are just window dressing. It's all Elon. :rolleyes:

You might be surprised to learn how often engineers and others have tried to steer him away from his worst decisions. To his credit he has admitted to just this, after the fact.

G

·
Right, engineers and technicians are just window dressing. It's all Elon. :rolleyes:
Engineers and technicians are among the many tools that great men use to do great things - None of those individuals could do what Elon does

Everyone (literally everyone) credits Dean Kamen with designing and marketing the Segway, but it was actually done by a team of more than 30 engineers, some of them quite brilliant - Name one of them. Name anything any one of them ever did after that. Dean made a million errors along the way and his $2,000 invention turned out to be $6K when it was finally marketed . . . . he wasn't very adept at balancing the tech side with the bean counters. His 'team' needed closer supervision (Elon's does too) but left to his own dreams, he made many revolutionary products

It's perfectly OK for you to be jealous of Elon - Millions of us are! :eek:

Don

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Engineers and technicians are among the many tools that great men use to do great things - None of those individuals could do what Elon does

Everyone (literally everyone) credits Dean Kamen with designing and marketing the Segway, but it was actually done by a team of more than 30 engineers, some of them quite brilliant - Name one of them. Name anything any one of them ever did after that. Dean made a million errors along the way and his $2,000 invention turned out to be $6K when it was finally marketed . . . . he wasn't very adept at balancing the tech side with the bean counters. His 'team' needed closer supervision (Elon's does too) but left to his own dreams, he made many revolutionary products

Don
That's exactly the reply I expected. I wouldn't trade any of the blessings I have for anything Musk has. He leads a very different life - one I wouldn't touch, and don't admire. If it works for him, I'm okay with that.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Elon's presentation was an interesting show. Lot's of positive spin, which is certainly what would be expected. While it is still a bit difficult listening to Elon (because he is not a skilled communicator and appears uncomfortable and stressed), I thought he gave a more honest and subdued projection of how things are going. On balance it appears that the worst could be behind and real progress is being made. I'll let Tesla keep my deposit a little longer now as I feel the mission and objectives haven't changed. I'm excited to find out what the Y really turns out to be and as always that anticipation as to what is coming builds interest in the company.
So the Y and the Semi and the Roadster are coming, but did anyone hear any mention of a pickup truck?

·
Registered
3,814 Posts

Don
But 'He' didn't DO anything on his own.

He made a boatload of money off his partnership in starting Paypal. That was great timing!

Then spent that money on hiring engineers that COULD DO great things. He bought into a rocket business that got to suck up a lot of taxpayer money on it's way.
He bought a dinky EV company and then hired more and more engineers.

And with nothing but positive press got a lot of investors,, and a stock value beyond reason.

The press loves him and most people believe the hype that he can do no wrong and does it all by himself.

·
Administrator
21,210 Posts
My point, exactly!

Don
As it turns out, a lot harder. Two entirely different markets, different products, different everything.

Remember, Musk thought the existing auto manufacturers were building everything by hand and he was going to show them how to automate an assembly line.... lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.