GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
8,680 Posts
What happens if there is zero gas but always charged? Will it let you drive it normally?

Thanks
Drive it? yes. Normally? no.

It'll set "Propulsion power reduced" and "Engine not available, add fuel" immediately on startup. The second is just a warning, and can be cleared with the select button. The first, however, will affect your driving experience greatly. It limits the maximum motor output (I believe to 55kW,) and remaps the pedal far more conservatively than even normal (and disables both mountain and I believe sport mode.)

We discuss this every month or so, I think...

http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-15267.html

·
Registered
216 Posts
I wonder too how it would affect the regular maintenance cycle that is forced when the engine isn't used.

Just keep some gas in it...a gallon or two. At the rate I'm going, it's gonna be tough using the gas in mine from the initial fill-up they did at new over the course of a year I think. Wish they had just put a few gallons in it.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I kept about two gallons in mine for over five months with no complaints from the car. I recently got the battery upgrade and therefore my tank is now full. Other than the two dealer fillups, I've only used 4 gallons in eight months!

·
Registered
63 Posts
At the rate I'm going, it's gonna be tough using the gas in mine from the initial fill-up they did at new over the course of a year I think. Wish they had just put a few gallons in it.
I bet you never thought you would ever hear anyone saying that!! LOL

·
Registered
847 Posts
I wonder too how it would affect the regular maintenance cycle that is forced when the engine isn't used.

Just keep some gas in it...a gallon or two.
Rather than a gallon or two, how about going to a gas station every 6 weeks and asking for .03 gallons of gas? :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Keep in mind that if you don't lubricate the ICE you will eventually cause damage and that's why it has maintenance mode to begin with right?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
At the rate I'm going, it's gonna be tough using the gas in mine from the initial fill-up they did at new over the course of a year I think. Wish they had just put a few gallons in it.
I wonder how hard it would be to siphon the premium out of the tank and dump it into my Seadoo?

I keep reading about people getting free gas and free replacement vehicles while their Volt is being serviced. Is this standard across all dealers? (including Canada?) I'd be better off if they just started giving me $20 prepaid gas cards.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I keep reading about people getting free gas and free replacement vehicles while their Volt is being serviced. Is this standard across all dealers? (including Canada?) I'd be better off if they just started giving me $20 prepaid gas cards.
It is apparently part of the battery reinforcement service; GM has the dealers fill up the tank.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I wonder how hard it would be to siphon the premium out of the tank and dump it into my Seadoo?

It only happened for me when they did the battery reinforcement work. Mine has been back in twice since then for the Service High Voltage Charging System message and they didn't put gas in it either time. Funny thing is, they didn't even charge it the first time and the second time they charged it (because I asked) but didn't put gas in despite that I ran it almost bone dry.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I asked this same question in a another thread a few weeks back. Volt still runs with no gas, and vice-versa will run also with no electric charge (but with gas).

I've also read on these boards that if you run out of gas and charge, volt will use some of the reserve charge to get you another mile or two or three before it totally shuts down.

It really is quite a marvel.

Rob in CT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts