GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
For my volt I'm using just the 120v charger. Plan on getting a Bolt. What charger will I need for that, I'm assuming a 240v? Which one should I get and can I ALSO USE IT FOR MY VOLT? THANKS.

·
Registered
249 Posts
A 40 amp EVSE should be sufficient for 7kW charging the Bolt. Something like the Clipper Creek HCS-40 would work for 32 amp continuous charging @ 7kW. It would also charge the Volt at the slower rate.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
If you plan on driving your Bolt like your Volt (say, 40-50 miles/day), the 120v will work. But 240v will always be faster. If you plan on driving your Bolt 100 miles/day or more, you'll definitely want and need 240V, preferably with 7.2 kW capacity (with adequate wiring as well).

BTW, the difference between a charger and an EVSE (a charge cord):
Charger-vs.-EVSE.jpg Charger-vs.-EVSE 2.jpg

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
If you plan on driving your Bolt like your Volt (say, 40-50 miles/day), the 120v will work. But 240v will always be faster. If you plan on driving your Bolt 100 miles/day or more, you'll definitely want and need 240V, preferably with 7.2 kW capacity (with adequate wiring as well).
Exactly you have to look at your daily driving patterns.

For me my SPX unit died and I overhauled it with an open EVSE. It's currently connected to a 20A circuit so it's limited to 16A continuous (3.8KW) [I have a software limit as well to 16A]. So in the future we are thinking of going Volt + Bolt. The Bolt would be my wife's daily driver but her commute is only 15 miles so we could easily charge the Bolt at 120V. For those days were we go on a longer trip and use a sizeable chunk of the Bolt EV battery we would swap and she would get the 240V. But even at 3.8KW she would likely have well over a 60% charge for the next day (at worst). And then easily fully charged the day after.

If push comes to shove my open EVSE has been internally wired for a 30A circuit (24A continuous) but I would need a new breaker, wiring to the panel and charge cord to handle that current (and re-program it). Not sure it's worth it. For me the 3.8KW I have now will likely be enough. I could also re-wire the internals and add a new higher current relay and fuse block for a 40A circuit.

The on board 7.2KW charger of the Bolt EV is nice for public charging. But for many people that capability isn't really a must at home (unless you do a lot of long random driving or have a long 100+ miles a day commute).

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
The Bolt only needs a 30 amp EVSE, the circuit might be 40 amps for derating of the wiring and breaker, but the EVSE which is what your shopping for is 30 amps, bigger than that won't change the charge times.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Unless you stumble upon a good deal, may want to wait and see if GM offers a charger as an accessory or who knows, maybe they'll offer a credit/rebate if you get one installed and sent them an invoice...No harm in waiting...

·
Registered
121 Posts
As said by another commenter it depends on your daily mileage. If you do less than 30 miles per day you could still get away with the 120V charger that will come with the Bolt. However, you will have to charge the Bolt and Volt on separate 120V circuits as you will overload a single circuit. It is probably best for you to add a dedicated 240V circuit and EVSE to match the charging rate of the Bolt so that you can rapidly recharge either car at their max rates and you can still slow charge the other one.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Here's a nice charge rate chart for all EV's from emotorwerks (Juicebox maker):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pZK88cPmfPpOtn19PoM7PV3KgJcqBnlBzQmDM4eE-60/pubhtml
My EMW JuiceBox (see my signature) was built from a kit. I upgraded its internal wiring to handle 80 amps (for the full 16 kW rating), but for now I have it installed on a 40 A circuit and using a 30 A J1172 cable and plug, which is a 7.2 kW rating now. I do have a spare 100 A breaker in my panel for the 16kW installation, and I can add a new 100A feeder, meter and panel to my home from our power utiliy (the power transformwr pedestal is less than 50 feet away) when I am ready for my DCFC.

I am ready since 2014 for the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV!:)

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
My EMW JuiceBox ... for now I have it installed on a 40 A circuit and using a 30 A J1172 cable and plug, which is a 7.2 kW rating now. ...
Ray, I too have the JuiceBox, only I have a 15 A rated cable and plug.
When I had an i3 for a 4 day test drive I had to quickly turn down the internal pilot signal on the JB to signal the i3 not to draw more than 3.3kW.
The i3 can draw 6.6KW. I used a clamp on ammeter and was ready to make the adjustment quickly.

With your set up you really need to do the same,, if you ever get an EV at your house that can draw more than 7 .2kW because your EVSE will allow that much power to flow through if you don't make that adjustment.

You might be able to adjust the pilot signal with an O scope if you don' have access to a Tesla !!!;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think a HSC-40 or equivalent is the way to go. As many have said for a daily 40 mile drive even a 120V will do. Anything over a HSC-40 seems like overkill. A 6.6kw EVSE will work for nearly any type of driving. Only if you come home every day and need 200 miles worth of charge might you need something bigger.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If you mean the Clipper Creek HCS-40 I would agree. I bought that when I got the Volt and although some thought it was a waste, I'm exceedingly happy I future proofed. It'll work great with the Bolt when I get it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I also have the original 60amp Juicebox kit... I purchased it when I had the Plug-in Prius.
It's factory set at 30amps (7.2kW) but I only have a 15amp J-cable, 15amp breakers and 12awg feed which is fine as of now cause the Volt only pulls about 13.xx amps. I went from the Plug-in Prius to the Volt without modding anything.

But once the Bolt arrives, I'll have to current limit the Juicebox at 15amps (3.6kw) or upgrade my feed to 10awg install 30amp breakers and a new J-cable.
Pulling a new 10ga feeder will be a pita... I could just upgrade the J-cable and go with 20 amp breakers and the existing 12ga feeder and limit the Juicebox to 20 amps (4.8kW).... that would be a pretty easy upgrade.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I thought the charger that comes with the Bolt can be 120 or 240? Like the one that comes with the Volvo XC90.
That is my understanding as well. I think that everyone who is referring to the 40A circuit is assuming 240V charging. Given the charge times that GM has published (1 hour of 120V charging will provide 4 miles of range), the Bolt should have a 3.3 or 3.6 kW on board charger. The published numbers for the L2 charger is [email protected], which is probably why everyone is recommending the 40A circuit.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
That is my understanding as well. I think that everyone who is referring to the 40A circuit is assuming 240V charging. Given the charge times that GM has published (1 hour of 120V charging will provide 4 miles of range), the Bolt should have a 3.3 or 3.6 kW on board charger. The published numbers for the L2 charger is [email protected], which is probably why everyone is recommending the 40A circuit.
Yes, given the Chevy site says the charge time will be 9 hours (25 miles of range added per hour) at 32-amps for a full 200+ mile recharge, I am assuming the Bolt will have a 6.6 kW or higher charge rate, twice that of the Volt. My 7.2 kW, 40 amp 240V ESVE should be able to handle it (assuming I upgrade my wiring!). Of course I don't think I will ever need a daily 200 mile recharge.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Yes, given the Chevy site says the charge time will be 9 hours (25 miles of range added per hour) at 32-amps for a full 200+ mile recharge, I am assuming the Bolt will have a 6.6 kW or higher charge rate, twice that of the Volt. My 7.2 kW, 40 amp 240V ESVE should be able to handle it (assuming I upgrade my wiring!). Of course I don't think I will ever need a daily 200 mile recharge.
I believe they published that the Bolt's L2 charger will be 7.2 kW. All of their numbers seem to be based on a very conservative 3.7 miles per kWh efficiency estimate, which is where the 25 miles per hour is coming from.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
I believe they published that the Bolt's L2 charger will be 7.2 kW. All of their numbers seem to be based on a very conservative 3.7 miles per kWh efficiency estimate, which is where the 25 miles per hour is coming from.
I think you are right, but not seeing it on the Chevy site, I hedged a bit. We should start seeing more details coming in the next 3-4 months. I saw one analysis of the charge rate that concluded the Bolt should have a 225 mile battery.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I think you are right, but not seeing it on the Chevy site, I hedged a bit. We should start seeing more details coming in the next 3-4 months. I saw one analysis of the charge rate that concluded the Bolt should have a 225 mile battery.
Did you have a chance to look at the 2017 Fleet Guide? That's where I was quoting most of my information.

I can easily see the 225 mile battery, but GM (as usual) seems to be very cautious in understating the actual performance. "At least 200 miles" is about the best we are going to get out of them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts