GM Volt Forum banner

221 - 240 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Just detailed the Volt.....washed....worked with a clay bar (there was A LOT of contamination embedded into the paint.... took some good ol elbow grease to get out...clay bar went from yellow to brown by the end of it).... followed by polishing with a dual action polisher and using chemical guys VSS polishing compound....and finally with a nice coat of wax.....looks like a mirror now...and this is with pearl white paint....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Please describe in more detail where to connect the resistor. What wiring harness, what color wire the left turn and the right turn.
Light blue(wht stripe) and light Grn(wht stripe). Each one of these wires tapped into should go to a resistor. While the other end of resistor should tie to the black wire(ground). This puts a resistor in parallel to each turn signal LED, creating more load similar to a normal bulb.

The wiring harness is driver side behind the inner fender as pictured previously. The inner fender must be pulled back to change the turn signal bulb any ways.

·
Registered
165 Posts
What Sharkfin antenna did you install? website, manufacturer etc.?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Apparently I charged mine at work. The only problem is I'm 2,000 miles away and the car is in my driveway. EV Connect can't seem to figure out that I last charged at work last Monday as I've received two charging complete messages while I wasn't even on campus.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I took my car, a year old, to the automated car wash for the first time. Reason: I needed to purchase a really disgusting birthday card for my sister. The car wash has the best cards.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
OHM-RIDE was getting due for a good waxing, so I spent a few hours giving it a good detailed wash, claying down (especially the nose and tail) and then waxing. After that I re-did the silicone on the charging door cup (see here) which seems to be a roughly once a year event, and did a quick silicone wipe-down of all the gaskets around the doors and hatch.

The good news is the car looks pretty good and I'm ready for cooler weather.

The bad news is I discovered that some f*#@ put a small, but really sharp/defined dent in my passengers rear door <sigh>. That, along with 4 years of chips on the nose and hood are almost enough for me to visit a paint/body shop for some touch up.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
The bad news is I discovered that some f*#@ put a small, but really sharp/defined dent in my passengers rear door <sigh>.
Same exact thing happened to me on same door.... mine is on the lower horizontal crease in the door....ignorant people do these things... I mean to dent the crease would take a good amount of force...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me on same door.... mine is on the lower horizontal crease in the door....ignorant people do these things... I mean to dent the crease would take a good amount of force...
Yeah, I'm thinking somebodys kid getting out of a back door or something in a car parked near mine. The crease is a really sharp dent about 1.5 inches long and had to have significant force behind it to be that sharp and deep.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking somebodys kid getting out of a back door or something in a car parked near mine. The crease is a really sharp dent about 1.5 inches long and had to have significant force behind it to be that sharp and deep.
After I got my hood and grille replaced someone put a big door ding or dent from a shopping cart in my front fender. Dealer said it would be about $600 to repair. since I have a $100 deductible I am thinking of going ahead and getting it repaired also. Just hate having a second insurance claim so soon after the deer incident.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
After I got my hood and grille replaced someone put a big door ding or dent from a shopping cart in my front fender. Dealer said it would be about $600 to repair. since I have a $100 deductible I am thinking of going ahead and getting it repaired also. Just hate having a second insurance claim so soon after the deer incident.
Did you look into paintless dent repair first? If the back of the dent is accessible they can either completely iron it out where you couldn't even tell there was ever a dent or significantly minimize it where you could live with it and I am sure it is much cheaper than the body shop and no insurance claim is needed either....

Was the integrity of the paint damaged?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Did you look into paintless dent repair first? If the back of the dent is accessible they can either completely iron it out where you couldn't even tell there was ever a dent or significantly minimize it where you could live with it and I am sure it is much cheaper than the body shop and no insurance claim is needed either....

Was the integrity of the paint damaged?
amazingly the paint held. That might be an option except like I said, I'm looking at a ton of chips in the nose too so it might just be time to get the work done since I'm so damned fussy about my cars.

221 - 240 of 261 Posts