GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Ah, there are always haters. I enjoyed it very much! I loved the suggestion above as an experiment about using a gallon of gas AFTER running out and using MM and then the battery. That would be cool. Great job!
I don't hate the guy. I just think it's not a smart thing to do and he didn't really prove or explain anything. I mean when the car runs out of charge (granted it's a software set limit) and gas it stops. Well DUH.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You mean I didn't need to send those pints of blood?

And I do appreciate your 'taking one for the team' so we don't need to. I found myself wondering if the ICE could start again with the traction battery depleted. I thought that the Volt's engine is not started by the 12v AGM, but instead by the high voltage system. Perhaps there is even more buffer after the bottom to get the ICE started when gas is added?
Haha Ill send that back.

Ya it looks like gm leaves even more of a buffer to not only start the car back up but also to not damage the battery.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I think you need to do more testing before making a statement like this to the world. Is it always 2.4 miles? I would think the buffering done by the system is variable. If you run out of gas immediately after the buffer is maxed, you may go further than 2.4. If you run out gas just as the buffer is starting to be filled, you may not be able to make 2.4 miles.
It was just a fun video to show people what happened when I ran out of gas. That's it. Yes could it have been different slightly under some circumstance? Yes, yes it could have been.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I don't hate the guy. I just think it's not a smart thing to do and he didn't really prove or explain anything. I mean when the car runs out of charge (granted it's a software set limit) and gas it stops. Well DUH.
Uh but it didn't stop when it ran out of gas. It kept going and I showed how far it went. I have had the car 3 years and didn't know that. I still get asked by random people if I'm stranded when the electric range is out for god sake. I explained that gm left the buffer to allow you to go further and for keep the battery in good condition. I mean what else do you want in this video?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm done responding to the haters. I really never imagined that on this forum I love so much there would be so many snobs questioning every little thing and asking me to "run out of oxygen."

Most YouTube videos that become viral are of cats and people twerking. I just made a fun automotive video about my Volt. Its my first and won't be my last.

Also, if you are interested in racing or interesting cars follow along. I reviewed a Mercedes E55 AMG with 401k miles on it a while back. That was fun. I also have a race video of my Trans Am I built.

Thanks
Alex

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ah, there are always haters. I enjoyed it very much! I loved the suggestion above as an experiment about using a gallon of gas AFTER running out and using MM and then the battery. That would be cool. Great job!
Ya that would be very cool to see. Let me work on getting my lifetime mpg up first, haha.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I'm done responding to the haters. I really never imagined that on this forum I love so much there would be so many snobs questioning every little thing and asking me to "run out of oxygen."

Most YouTube videos that become viral are of cats and people twerking. I just made a fun automotive video about my Volt. Its my first and won't be my last.

Also, if you are interested in racing or interesting cars follow along. I reviewed a Mercedes E55 AMG with 401k miles on it a while back. That was fun. I also have a race video of my Trans Am I built.

Thanks
Alex
Criticism or lack of praise isn't the same as hating. It should be obvious to someone driving the car for 3 years that in charge sustain mode, the gas powered generator builds up a charge, and the engine stops and starts. It doesn't run continuously. The car uses that built up charge. So you probably just used up the gas generated buffer once you ran out of gas. To respond or not is your choice.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Thanks
Alex
Sprayed01, I enjoyed watching your video; thanks for taking the time to make it! As far as the haters, I'll go out on a limb and say there is no shortage here.

Would I have done this with my Volt? Probably not, but as far as damaging injectors goes, I find that highly unlikely Sprayed01 would damage them as a result of sediment from the tank (ever heard of the fuel filter?), fuel pump...maybe. However, if there was a little water in the bottom (problem from E10/E15) of the gas tank that would be another story. Don't forget, the pump siphons from the bottom of the tank.

If Chevy/GM never expected/wanted the car to operate in this fashion, it would not have been programmed to do so; this is not to say it is intended to be operated like this daily, just that it does be it for safety or otherwise. I think this was the OP's point.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks! Ya I didn't even respond to the comment on ruining my fuel pump and injector's. The pump is cooled by fuel running threw it. When you run out there is no pressure and the engine dies out right away. This is no way effected my fuel system at all. But of course I'm not going to run it out all the time. It was a fun experiment for me.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Ya it looks like gm leaves even more of a buffer to not only start the car back up but also to not damage the battery.
Not quite, but rather than get into details, just leave it how you started, yes there is this fun ability that the car has to go a very small and very unpredictable distance after running out of charge and then subsequently running out of gasoline. I would not count in it getting you to the next intersection let alone highway exit, but it does work, and has been reported to get drivers 2-3 miles, slowly, on level ground, in daylight, with no wipers or heat use. thanks for letting us know about the video, and yes your fuel pump is cooled by the fuel that it is pumping, so if there is no fuel, the pump would overheat and damage itself if it didn't shut off, which it does, so don't sweat it....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks for the reply. Id love to learn more on the subject. If you have any info please post up.

Ya the car actually shuts the heat off for you. You can not turn it back on when its on that last couple miles of battery. I didn't try other features but I'm assuming only things like lighting and safety items are available.

It was pretty cold out that night and I was purposely driving hard so I think I could have gotten 3 miles out of it if I tried.

Thanks for watching
Alex

·
Registered
625 Posts
2-3 miles will typically get you to the nearest gas station if you live in a reasonably populated area. Not that you ever should let car run down that low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
After the tank sensor reads zero (via BT app or other means), you have 7-10 miles of gas before the engine dies.

When the battery runs out, you have about 3 miles or so of EV range.

FWIW, I did not see the video.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts