GM Volt Forum banner

What happens when you put high performance tires on the Bolt?

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  good2go 
#1 ·
#2 ·
If range isn't a concern then sure high performance summer tires make sense, I suspect most of us however put a premium on range and getting the most miles out of a charge as possible, so I have a feeling most will want to stay with highly efficient LRRs.

#3 · (Edited)
I think it's pretty certain what will happen. Only thing not completely known is the degree of difference. Obviously cornering and traction improves. Range and possibly tire life goes down..... If someone doesn't need all the car's range and likes to autocross or something it might be worth it to them.

#4 · (Edited)
I can only offer my experience with Volts which weigh about the same as Bolts:

I put on summer performance (self-sealing) which were the same dia, but a bit wider (235/45-17) 13,000 miles ago.
Wear is good, sound good, range not significantly affected, AutoX performance enhanced. Since the tires are a bit wider than the Volt rims, it offers some curb protection. I have a 58 mile customer loop. I can still make it with the performance tires just like I could with the OEMs using the same driving technique and speeds.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...urato+P7+with+Seal+Inside&partnum=345WR7CP7SS

To put 235's on a Bolt you will need Volt rims or better yet, wheels that 7.5/8.5 wide.

I'm happy with the decision. Curbing, dry and light rain traction, self-sealing were all improved. OEM tires seem to be nail-magnets. We have had 3 flats before switching to aftermarket tires. None since.

#5 ·
I can only offer my experience with Volts which weigh about the same as Bolts:

I put on summer performance (self-sealing) which were the same dia, but a bit wider (235/45-17) 13,000 miles ago.
Wear is good, sound good, range not significantly affected, AutoX performance enhanced. Since the tires are a bit wider than the Volt rims, it offers some curb protection. I have a 58 mile customer loop. I can still make it with the performance tires just like I could with the OEMs using the same driving technique and speeds.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...urato+P7+with+Seal+Inside&partnum=345WR7CP7SS

To put 235's on a Bolt you will need Volt rims or better yet, wheels that 7.5/8.5 wide.

I'm happy with the decision. Curbing, dry and light traction, self-sealing were all improved. OEM tires seem to be nail-magnets. We have had 3 flats before switching to aftermarket tires. None since.

Looking at the description in the link that looks like a good choice. Not sure I'd call it a typical performance tire though, just a different set of engineering choices or a summer LRR tire.

#6 ·
Haha, interesting to see this thread. I JUST put a set of the BFG Comp2 A/S tires on the wife's Bolt last week. These are not the exact same (UHP Summer) tires in the article, but are their somewhat similar cousins (UHP All-Seasons), and in the identical stock sizing. My wife had complained that she just didn't feel safe with the skittish feeling of the oem LRR tires, both when driving in wet/rainy conditions and even just when pressed beyond a leisurely pace on dry twisty roads. Given that her typical daily driving distance is far far less than the car's range, and thus the the mileage hit due to the tires will not be any issue for her, I went ahead and popped for the sticky replacements.

I have to say, from the beginning, the Bolt has always struck me as a much better driver's car than the Volt (she previously had both a 1st and 2nd gen). It seemed as if the Bolt was almost trying be like a Mini-Cooper or something; very zippy, sporty and capable, but without the rubber to really support it, as if an Achilles heel. My impression now that the tires have been replaced is that the car is immediately transformed. It feels SO much more solid and secure. It's so good that I almost find myself looking to toss it around like a little sports car. I'm sure this will factor into the overall hit to range, but who cares, the driving please so outweighs the difference. If you don't need the range, I highly recommend considering it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.