GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are many brands of chargers, amp charge rates, and ways to charge Volts. Are you using 110 or 220? Is your charger hardwired or a plug-in that you can take with you? Are you still using the GM supplied charger or have you moved on?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
It depends. I primarily charge at work, which is an Eaton L2 charger (6.2 kW IIRC). I left my 120V Clipper Creek up North, so when I am visiting my family, I use that. I occasionally use the various ChargePoint public chargers.

My factory 120V EVSE is still in the wrapper in my trunk.

·
Registered
719 Posts
First what you are speaking of is the EVSE, which is not a charger but a fancy power supply:)
The charger is actually inside the car.
Which EVSE you use depends on your need an Generation Volt.

If you do not need to recharge during the day at work, the EVSE that comes with the car at 12 Amps and 120Volt is good enough as it will fully charge the battery overnight.
If you do need to recharge at home during the day, then it is worth being able to charge at 240V To cut the charge time in at least half.
If you have a Gen2 volt, Chris TX posted a while back that the standard level 1 EVSE that comes with the car can actually be safely used at 240V, all you need to do is make an adapter cable for it. This lets you cut your charge time in half at no extra cost. Search the forum for the thread. It is limited to 12 Amps at 240 Volt or 2.88kW.
Or else you can invest in a level 2 EVSE which will allows you to use the full 3.6kW the Gen2 can take (15 Amps at 240V) and reduce the charge time a little more.

Hard wire or plugged in makes no difference except if you need to take the EVSE places.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I've got two 240v hardwared EVSEs. One is an L2 Voltec converted to OpenEVSE after the original electronics failed. The other is a ground-up OpenEVSE build. I'm happy with both.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have two 40 amp Juiceboxes so we can charge both Volts on 240 at the same time.

One factory EVSE is hanging in the 3rd stall in case we ever park one of the cars there. The other is in the trunk and has only been used when I have loaned the car out a couple of times.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's on order, but we're putting in a Plugless charger. We can't pass up the convenience of just pulling in and getting a charge at home.

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
Like every Volt owner, I use the charger that's behind the passenger side bumper. There is no other choice.

Perhaps you mean the Charge Cord (EVSE)? :)

Charger-vs.-EVSE.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use the EVSE that came with the Volt. This is sufficient for me to keep the battery sufficiently charged for trips within the battery range.

·
Registered
44 Posts
120V garage outlet at 12 amps with standard cord supplied with the 2017 Volt for overnight home charging only.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
I have a Bosch SPX at home with a 240V plug. No charger at work as my employer won't install one at a rented location.

·
Registered
568 Posts
My volt is on order -- hoping to have it the first or 2nd week of June.

I'll be running a 240V dedicated circuit to my garage ceiling. Will be mounting the (stock) EVSE on the ceiling and plugged in, it will be a standard outlet with 240V warning on it. (I live alone so no real worries of anyone plugging anything into it) Will probably rig up something to where I can just pull the charge cord itself down on a spring system and plug in. That way I don't have any cables or cords on the ground or in my face when I don't need it.

Home is really the only place I'd be charging, work might install a charger as I put the bug in their ear about it... so I wouldn't be carrying around my EVSE everywhere.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I have been using a Clipper Creek LCS-25 for over 3 years now w/o a SINGLE issue and for 18 months it easily fed TWO Volt's. My OEM EVSE has NEVER been used on our 2013 Volt that we bought on Aug 31st 2013.

They are very robust, have great CS and are designed and manufactured in the US. What's not to like - ohh and they are now the OEM EVSE provided for the Gen II Volt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Siemens unit that can charge up to 30 amps but with the Volt it has a lower charging current. I am planning on replacing with the Plugless unit when it is available for Volt GEN2, which I have been told should be this month.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I'm still using the 240V Leviton plug-in that I used with the PiP. At work, the factory EVSE.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have a SPX Voltec charger. The first one I put in about 3 1/2 yrs ago and over the weekend it blew a fuse. I had picked up a spare a year ago and swapped the guts over the weekend (will be fixing the fuse in the first one to use as a backup). I like the lighted coil cord and it is mounted on the outside of the garage on top of new siding so I really dont want to give that up.

I have been charger 2 Volts so a lot of juice has flowed thru it but these should really be repairable.

I might need to find a another spare SPX Voltec charger just in case......

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
We have 2 L2 EVSEs:

1. About a 4 1/2 year old SPX Voltec still operational. Knock on wood!
2. A Clipper Creek which replaced one of the very early SPX Voltec. The Voltec is in my garage attic just in case I need a rebuild case for an Open EVSE project. The Clipper Creek seems bullet proof so far.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts