GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first of the two free maintenance visits at the dealer. At first, the guy who took me in said oil change is not included since the car mileage is only 8800. They will do only the tire rotations and multi point inspection.

When I picked it up, he said they did the oil change. When I looked at the paper work, it says "Lube Oil Filter, Tire Rotation, Multipoint Inspection".

My first question: "Lube Oil Filter" sounds like they just lubed the oil filter (instead of changing the oil). But is that the jargon they used to mean they did the oil change?

2nd question: I looked the itemized list of the parts they used, they listed:

1 12679952 (S) Filter
5 88864007 OIL

So it does seem like they did the oil change? Does anyone know what kind of oil (full synthetic vs blend vs regular?) they used? I looked up online and it does not say what it is other than OIL:
https://www.gmwholesaledirect.com/oem-parts/gm-oil-88865701

Here is the receipt:
IMG_20181228_124910.jpg

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Easy Peasy!

Does the dipstick look like it has clean oil on it?

My question is: What do they lube exactly? Is there a single grease zerk on this car?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
That's synthetic GM oil, 2W20 winter blend. Does it get cold there?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Yes, quite cold during winter. The manual says 0W-20. Is that part number for 2W20 synthetic oil?
GM Part No.: 88864007
Oil,Engine Dexos1 Synth Blend 0W20 Acdelco Bulk Opt2

·
Registered
2,589 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Synthetic blend so it’s not a FULL lab synthetic (rather Dino base + synthetic additives ) ... one question 0-20W seems a very short ‘range’ obviously 0 is very good for those cold starts that the ‘generator’ must do more than most conventional engines .... 20W when fully warmed seems awfully ‘ thin’ ..though I know that’s not ALL the spec can mean , but still

·
Registered
444 Posts
Synthetic blend so it’s not a FULL lab synthetic (rather Dino base + synthetic additives ) ... one question 0-20W seems a very short ‘range’ obviously 0 is very good for those cold starts that the ‘generator’ must do more than most conventional engines .... 20W when fully warmed seems awfully ‘ thin’ ..though I know that’s not ALL the spec can mean , but still
xW-20 is very common on all modern engines to eek a little more efficiency out of them via less viscous losses in the oil. It just calls for a tad tighter bearing clearances than a 30 weight oil.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
According to Scotty Kilmer, modern engines with variable valve timing need the thinner oil.

·
Registered
444 Posts
According to Scotty Kilmer, modern engines with variable valve timing need the thinner oil.
Oh God... that guy... Scott Kilmer is a doofus who knows almost zero about the engineering that goes into a car.

Continuously variable valve timing absolutely does not need thin oil. BMW has been putting out cars for over 20 years with continuously variable valve timing that spec 10W-60 oil from the factory and they run fine for a very long time.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
88864007 has been replaced by 88865701, which is a full synthetic 0w20 oil. I'd be surprised if they still have a tank full of the old oil.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Most things Scotty says can be take with a grain of salt. What’s surprise he is wrong here as well...

Thinner oil isn’t required for VVT. The engineers can make the system work with any weight oil when they design the system. Thinner oil is used to lubricate quicker on cold starts and be thinner when the engine is hot for less loss due to thick oil. Which returns better MPG.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Dexos has been full synthetic for some time now.
M153192341.jpg

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
And then there is the oil change itself. The car can and does go two years without needing a change.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts