GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've been reading the threads about the Volt's 12V battery failing and the heavens falling as a result -- then I saw something about a "nonda Quick Charge Car Charger with Car Battery Monitor APP" that, among other services like bringing you a hot cup of coffee, promises a "Car Battery Health Monitor (that) Actively monitors your car battery health. -- View your car battery's data in last 7 days / 30 days / 90 days. -- Get notified when your battery is underperforming. -- Never get dead battery with Car Battery Health Monitor.". https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUBMC70/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

What do you think? Does anyone have any experience with things like this? Can they really tell you if your 12V battery is failing? That would be worth $11, I guess.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
[/URL]

What do you think? Does anyone have any experience with things like this? Can they really tell you if your 12V battery is failing? That would be worth $11, I guess.
That device would only be able to read the voltage supplied by the 14VDC APM and not the 12V AGM since the accessory outlets on the Volt are only supplied with voltage when the Volt is turned ON.

OLED DC Voltmeter AGM/APM monitor mod

FWIW: I went with the above linked OLED Voltmeter wired to read the 12VDC AGM voltage directly in order to monitor...

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
That is kind of neat, especially with the app. And the price is not bad. I have one like it without an app. However, it is very limited in what it can tell you. If it truly does track battery health in any meaningful way, it would most likely be by monitoring battery voltage sag when cranking the engine in a traditional ICE vehicle. Since that action is totally different in the Volt, that monitoring feature would not work for you.

All these things can tell you is your battery voltage during the 10 minutes after you switch the car off (when the battery is not being charged). Or if you put the car into diagnostic mode. Also, the EVSE should not be connected to the car. At these times, you can see if it is maintaining a reasonable voltage level.

But I am not sure what that should be for the AGM battery in a volt, given the drain in that mode. FWIW, Mine is about 12.2V with headlights off. My battery is 5 years old, and I have had no bad battery symptoms. As a guess, I would say if it drops below 12.0, I would be worried. But I don't know if that is really the right threshold for worry.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
there IS a 10 min window where the power port is active when the car is OFF ( if you do not open the door )

That is the time when I take note of the 12 volt battery reading

Almost 6 years on mine and If I see under 12.00 Volt - Then I will get a new Battery

( you can apply the parking break during that time and also put a load on the battery )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts