GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all-
As you know, the best prices on Volts seem to be in CA. I believe I could lease a car out in CA and have it shipped elsewhere in the country, correct? What would I need to know about doing such a transaction?
1.) The shipping company would ship it right to your house, correct? How long would it take to ship a car from say CA to Virginia for example?
2.) What sort of protection is there if they were to ship me a car that was less than 100%? How is the car insured during the journey?
3.) For these CA dealers, is shipping a car routine?
4.) Do they all pretty much use the same shipper? Or do I choose that? And any recommendations?
5.) All warranty issues would still be covered by a local dealer, correct?
6.) Do these sorts of transactions ever go bad? If so, how?
7.) Anything else you can think to tell me that I might need to know?

While I'm here... I don't currently lease/own a GM car and thus I don't have any sort of 'private offer'. Others on the forum said that I could simply say "I left it at home", but two things: 1.) I'm not willing to lie about it 2.) I have found that the dealers haven't been able to get around my not having the private offer. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
VoltNewbie

·
Registered
624 Posts
You can't tell dealers you "left private offer at home" and they'll let you have it anyway. If you're talking about the $1K private voucher, you need to give dealer a print out with the voucher # so dealer can use it to redeem with GM. Dealers can't "give" you a private offer even if they wanted to.

The $1K private offer was randomly granted by GM online through January 2013 but from what it looks like, it's been discontinued since February indefinitely until further notice.

People didn't need to own/lease a GM car for the $1K private offer. They only needed to go online and "build" a car and search inventory for the random offer to pop up. It's very random so some people (like myself) had to try pretty hard before being able to find one.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I purchased my 2013 Volt from Rydell in California after the dealers in my area could not even come close in prices.

I arranged the delivery of my Volt with Official Auto Transport from the LA area to NJ (NYC suburb) for $805. They told me 7 to 10 days for delivery but it was delivered in 4 days. The shipping companies have their own insurance but make sure you have your own insurance on the vehicle before they pick it up.
The warranty on the vehicle is from the Manufacturer (ie..GM) so any authorized GM dealer can handle the warranty service. The shippers usually look for a place close to your house with a big parking lot like a Home Depot to make the actual delivery. Make sure you have already closed on the deal before arranging the pickup otherwise they will charge you more money, if the vehicle was not available for pickup when arranged. It may take you about a month to get your vehicle registered in your state, if you are financing. The financing company will need to get the title first. Most California dealer will want to title the vehicle first in California, since they need to send the title to the financing company. Before the dealers can title the vehicle, the loan has to be completed with the financing company, which can take a few days after you take delivery. Once the vehicle is titled it will be shipped to the financing company. You will need to give the financing company your state's Motor Vehicle Services paperwork to have the vehicle re-titled in your state. Since you can not touch the title, they will need to send to your state's Motor Vehicle Service. Once your state has the CA title you can go in and complete the registration in your state. This process took me 30 days. Most of the delay was with Ally officially accepting the loan. I had the car in my garage for over a week plus the 4 days shipping before the load was offically approved. You will need to keep on top of the process with your financing company. I called Ally almost daily for a status update. Get the paperwork from your state agency asap and mail and fax it to them once you have closed on your deal.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yes, you can get very good lease deals from dealers in California, but I think that with a little work online you should be able to match those deals closer to home. You'll want to deal with the internet salesperson at several dealers. To make it easier, determine exactly how you would like your new Volt to be equipped, and then send a request for a lease quote to those dealers. Be sure to let them know that you are ready to do a deal quickly, and that you are also seeking quotes from several dealers. You probably should also get a quote from one of the California dealers to use as a benchmark. I can't imagine that high volume Chevrolet dealers elsewhere won't be able to match or beat the California deals.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I bought my Volt from Keyes in CA and picked it up and drove it back to AZ. In terms of titling, I had Keyes order the MSO (sometimes aka MCO) and send it to me so I take it to the AZ DMV and have it titled and registered directly in AZ, instead of having it titled in CA then arrange to have it sent to AZ DMV to register. While waiting for the MSO to be ordered and sent to me (takes up to 10 days to order), I got a 90-day temp permit (cost me $15) so I could drive the car around in between waiting.

The Keyes finance guy screwed up ordering the MSO for me then had the balls to call me up and told me that the car can just be titled in CA and I'd just have registered in AZ. I had to ask Rick (the GM at Keyes) to interfere and get the MSO ordered again for me as originally promised. So I didn't get the MSO within a couple of weeks as promised, and it took about a month before I got it. But it was no hardship for me because for the $15 temp registration, I was able to use the car that whole time I had to wait for the MSO. I didn't want the car titled in CA and prefer to be able to get first title in AZ so that I don't have to spend extra money to retitle it again from CA to AZ later. I also wanted to keep it clean so there's no ambiguity that I have FIRST title to the car in order to get my $7500 tax credit next year, although it probably really doesn't matter which state it's titled in for the tax credit.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Doesn't say where you are. If in the southeast try Stingray. If in the Northeast read the Cargill Chevy thread and take them up on their "best price guarantee". If in the middle I think there is a Michigan dealership that price matches. I would avoid the CA title first. I don't know about other states rules but if you do the opposite and title the car in another state and then CA within 6 months they will want the sales tax all over again.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Don't the California Volts have longer battery warranties? I'd think that is a good enough reason to buy and ship Volts from Cali for people who are planning to own one for a long time.

·
Registered
624 Posts
To clarify, Keyes got me a 1-way CA permit to drive my Volt back from CA to AZ (no stop anywhere allowed, except pit stops). Not sure how much that cost but it was part of the deal (maybe $20 or something like that). Then when I got to AZ, I took my loan paperwork in (while waiting for the MSO to arrive) to show ownership and paid the AZ DMV $15 for the 90-day temporary driving permit. I just taped the 90-day temp permit to the rear license template (or you can also put it in the back of your rear window) and voila, I have up to 90 days to get my title and registration done when the proper paperwork comes in.

Also, I was required to pay for CA sales tax, but when I brought in my MSO to the AZ DMV to get titled and register, I didn't have to pay AZ sales tax again because I already paid CA sales tax. But I had to pay for AZ license registration fees to the tune of about $670, of course. I didn't have to do any vehicle inspection or emission test because it's a brand new car.

Even though it's a CA Volt qualified for emission improvement for the HOV lane in CA, AZ does not allow PHEV like the Volt to benefit from the HOV lane in AZ, so that kinda sucks but oh well, what can you do?

Since I have the 0% 72 month financing deal with GM, the title gets sent to my lien holder bank and I don't get to see it until the loan is paid off. The registration paperwork would be my proof of ownership until then. I assume that I can just enter my car's VIN next year when I do the $7500 tax credit and that should be all I have to do to get my tax credit. If this assumption is wrong, please somebody let me know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts