GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2013 Volt pre-owned and have driven it for over 90k trouble-free miles (now at 112,500 total). I'm considering what comes next. Should I simply upgrade to a newer 2nd gen Volt or shop elsewhere? What other vehicles follow the Volt well?

The acceleration, reliability, torque, and hatchback versatility of the Volt are unmatched in this domestic car price point. I'm curious about the GMC Terrain diesel. Better passenger space than the Volt. I've looked at most everything from GM, Ford, Jeep, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, and Mazda. I keep coming back to the 2nd gen Volt.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Why replace it? Keep driving it. That being said, I owned my 2011 for 5 years before giving it to my son and buying a 2018 Volt, it too is an awesome car.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
The Chevy Bolt could be a good choice if you don't need to drive beyond the Bolt's range. Also, if you don't need some of the advanced driver confidence systems including adaptive cruise control. There are some excellent incentives for buying or leasing a 2020 Bolt right now, even more incentives if you are a Costco member and happen to live in California.

Costco members can currently lease a 2020 Chevrolet Bolt EV for as little as $154 a month.

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
my 2011 Volt still going strong, so is my 2017 Bolt. I buy and keep.

Reactions: Volt_Tron

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
606 Posts
I don't know how anyone could go to diesel after Volt. The noise, the smell, the maintenance...

Bolt, or Bolt CUV by the time you're ready.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I love my Gen2 Volt however I wouldn't buy a used one now. I'd stick to something in current production. If you can't find anything you like, then I'd probably keep the 2013 for a couple more years. There will be a lot of new vehicles coming within that time-frame. Personally my next "interest" is the Cybertruck, depending on the production configuration.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
455 Posts
We upgraded from a 2013 Volt Premium to a 2018 Volt Premiere almost a year ago. No regrets. We love the Gen2.

Reactions: Volt_Tron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all! I'm only considering selling my Volt because my brother is interested in buying it. There's another newer one for sale nearby (2017 with only 16,000 miles) and I'm hoping to check it out before someone else snags it. Want to consider all my options before moving on.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
At this point, you are driving for almost free. These are the best miles on any vehicle. You own nothing and have at least 100K miles to go. Stay with it until the wheels fall off or the earths magnetic core reverses - which ever comes first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At this point, you are driving for almost free. These are the best miles on any vehicle. You own nothing and have at least 100K miles to go. Stay with it until the wheels fall off or the earths magnetic core reverses - which ever comes first.
It's 2020, the odds of the earths magnetic core reversing are totally within the realm of possibility.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Go Gen 2 - you'll love it. Do an internet search . I've had a 2013, 2015, and my current 2107.

·
Registered
2013 Volt 98,000 miles
4 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing about my 2013 Volt as well. It's needed two tows within the last year. Fortunately all repairs have been under warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey all, thanks for the input! Much appreciated.

I purchased a 2017 Volt with 23,000 miles tonight. Had it inspected by the local Volt Tech at Chevy yesterday. Appears to be super solid. I'm excited! I certainly missed having the back hatch lower window. Felt well aware of the massive blind spot directly behind the car that I'm not used to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same existential crisis recently...just keep it!

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
455 Posts
Go Gen 2 - you'll love it. Do an internet search . I've had a 2013, 2015, and my current 2107.
That is what we did. Sold our 2013 and bought a low miles 2018 Premiere with ACC last year. Love it and appreciate all the nice improvements. We are still discovering some of them!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hey all, thanks for the input! Much appreciated.

I purchased a 2017 Volt with 23,000 miles tonight. Had it inspected by the local Volt Tech at Chevy yesterday. Appears to be super solid. I'm excited! I certainly missed having the back hatch lower window. Felt well aware of the massive blind spot directly behind the car that I'm not used to.
I also missed the lower window, as well as the seats in my Gen1. Frankly if my lease at the time had a market value residual, I'd still be driving it today. However the improvements to the Gen2 interior & tech, especially the addition of Adaptive Cruise Control, far outweighs the the things I miss from the Gen1.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts