GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2015 Volt for less than a year, but it looks like I'll be moving to a place with no electrical outlet access. While I really like my Volt, I don't like it enough to drive it on gas only.

What car would you drive if you didn't have a Volt? Good gas mileage is a priority, along with the "fun factor". I'm guessing I'll go the Prius route, but I'm interested in other opinions.

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
If I didn’t own a Volt, I would have bought an ELR. If I didn’t have either the volt or ELR, I’d seriously consider the CT6 Plugin or the Volvo V90 hybrid. For a fun car, maybe an Evo or WRXsti. If on a budget, how about a slightly used Pontiac Solstice? Another interesting car is the Miata MX-5 RF. I saw one in Atlanta, and had to follow it for awhile to figure out what the heck it was.

But you don’t have to sell the volt as your situation isn’t permanent, is it? You might consider a Malibu hybrid. I’ve seen leftover 2017 models discounted about $7k, essentially costing the same as the non-hybrid model. The Malibu is the forgotten hybrid as it blows away the Prius in fuel economy while not feeling like a tin can. There’s also the Ford Fusion Hybrid and Buick has a whole lineup of lightly electrified hybrids for 2018.

All that aside, my next car purchase is likely going to be a Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium (without leather seats as the wife and kids hate leather). If that’s too much soccer-mom for you, consider a Crosstrek XV. My daughter has one of those and it’s perfect for her (though we recently added a rocketbox to her roof as she’s always running out of space with camping and hiking gear - mom wishes she got the Outback instead of the Crosstrek)

If you ask my youngest daughter (just turned 16) she’d say Acura NSX, but there’s no way I’m buying one of those for her. I would have to get one for myself first. A decent compromise would be a Camaro.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
You'll likely lose way more on a trade in than to just drive the volt on gas vs prius on gas.
I would keep the volt and opportunity charge where possible to at least have some EV experience.

·
8,680 Posts
I've had my 2015 Volt for less than a year, but it looks like I'll be moving to a place with no electrical outlet access. While I really like my Volt, I don't like it enough to drive it on gas only.

What car would you drive if you didn't have a Volt? Good gas mileage is a priority, along with the "fun factor". I'm guessing I'll go the Prius route, but I'm interested in other opinions.
So you'll have no access to charging at home or work at all? Do you expect that condition to continue for a long time?

What kind of budget did you have in mind? These days there are a number of fairly nice sporty hybrids or plug in hybrids in the mid-upper market (RLX Sport Hybrid, BMW 330e, GS450h.) In the used $20k and less range you'll likely have to choose between the two priorities.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would have bought a 4wd mini if the volt or bolt were not available. The reduction in milage would be worth the trade of 4wd. I really loved my tdi's but they are sadly no longer available with the same level of performance.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Please don't lower yourself to a Prius. You mentioned fun factor. There will be none of that with the P. I suggest waiting till you move and see how it shakes out. Charging opportunities have a way of presenting themselves. The Malibu hybrid is worth considering, except GM is not actively marketing the car and I've never actually seen one.

The 2018 Camry hybrid (base model with lithium battery) is rated at 52 mpg. Prius mileage! Supposed to handle much better than previous generations. We have a 2010 which is a nice car, and averages about 38 mpg.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you can find a Malibu hybrid (Volt’s Voltec drive train without the plug), go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
620 Posts
I would shop for a hybrid and I would definitely consider the Malibu.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
The other contenders were.....

...and with the Noblesse kit....

The wife's only criteria was that it had to have a hatch. All 3 qualified. It's okay though because this has a hatch too:

She was whining "I'm going to be driving a computer!". She wouldn't trade it for any of those above now.

You're going to be soooooo screwed on the resale value. If I were you I'd be looking for a way to keep it/charge it somehow.

·
Registered
622 Posts
If you’re looking for Fun Factor. I’d consider a Ford Focus. I have a couple co-workers that have one. Very sporty feel with 40-41 mpg hwy. which is about the same as my 05 prius currently with winter temps.

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
If you can find a Malibu hybrid (Volt’s Voltec drive train without the plug), go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
According to cars.com, there are 1022 of them out there. One 20 miles from my house. It’s a bargain at $23K

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
The other contenders were.....
Unfortuately, Volvo stopped selling the C30 in the states several years ago. Sadly, my daughter also loved that car. I got to test drive one as a rental for a business trip. It was a blast, plus they were available in a stick shift. There was also an EV prototype rounding the car shows, alas, that didn’t make it into production. i’d kill for a Polestar edition in Swedish green (their joke against British green)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for the Malibu Hybrid suggestion. I'll look into that.

For now, it'll be indefinitely permanent. I'll have almost 0 chance of being able to charge it as I don't have access at work either. I love driving it on electric, but when the gas kicks in, ehhh.

·
Administrator
20,431 Posts
What car would you drive if you didn't have a Volt?
I am so happy I'm not forced to make that choice. To me it's like asking, "If you could not have electricity in your home, what type of lighting would you chose, candles, kerosene, or torches?" That may be a bit of an extreme analogy, but it's how it would feel to me. :)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
For now, it'll be indefinitely permanent. I'll have almost 0 chance of being able to charge it as I don't have access at work either. I love driving it on electric, but when the gas kicks in, ehhh.
Moving to a place with no electric outlets does not necessarily mean you can’t own a Volt and drive it on electricity (and is the window sticker rating of 37 mpg when using gas really that insufficient?).

Just to be clear, the Gen 1 Volt is always running on electricity. When its battery is depleted, the gas engine gets clutched to the smaller electric motor and generates electricity as needed to fuel the main motor. GM calls this "electric-like" driving because, even in Extended Range Mode, the electric motor is propelling the car.

If you cannot recharge from a wall plug at home or at work, you could use your 2015 Volt’s own ability to self-charge itself to the ~4 bar state of charge level. If your daily commute is no longer than ~15 miles in each direction, your daily commute could still be all-electric. You just recharge by, so to speak, plugging into the car’s gas generator while parked instead of into the wall.

The Self Charging Chevy Volt youtube video shows a 2012 Volt using Mountain Mode to recharge a fully depleted battery to the MM-maintained level (~14 ev miles, or ~4 bars) while parked. The process takes 15 minutes, using 0.36 gallons of gas. I’ve done it with my 2012 Volt, achieving similar numbers. Might take only a bit more for a 2015 Volt.

Try the MM-recharging while parked procedure once to get your own numbers for gas used and time needed to recharge. Then drive until your battery is again fully depleted to learn how far you can drive on that MM-recharged power.

If using 0.36 gallons of gas (or whatever your number is) to MM-recharge the fully depleted battery will provide enough battery power to drive X miles, is the distance you can drive using 0.36 gallons of gas in Hold Mode (or while fully depleted) about the same X miles? More? Less?

Sure, the cost of gas to self-charge your Volt to the MM-maintained level is probably more than the cost of electricity from the wall at home needed to recharge the battery to the same level, but it does enable you to keep your Volt and to drive it on battery power.

...and, using gas to self-charge would increase the acceptability of using public L2 chargers (around your home, or work, or grocery store) that charge about the price of a gallon of gas to fully recharge your Volt... and might also spur the inclination to see what else is available... two blocks from my sister’s home is the movie theater parking lot at a local mall with two free L2 charging spots that are rarely occupied... the L2 spots by the local Kohl’s stores in my area are free to customers... or perhaps a very-heavy-duty extension cord would reach from an outlet in your home to your car to permit 8 amp charging...

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Just FYI, a malibu hybrid is basically your volt without the plug. Same transmission (+motors) and operating methods (build a buffer, off at stoplights, etc)
So unless you want to get into a larger vehicle, you're basically just trading for the same car.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I have and likely always will own a Gen I Honda Insight,

It is the only reasonable gas car for commuting I know of made this century

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for the Malibu Hybrid suggestion. I'll look into that.

Go with the Malibu Hybrid. It even looks *very* similar to the Volt inside including the MyLink and the displays related to the battery including flow, and Info. Lots of Youtube videos on the Malibu Hybrid. Check out Alex on Autos - he has reviewed both the Volt and the Malibu Hybrid. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5A2xi9iU0s

1 - 20 of 26 Posts