GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
-
Have been reading and contributing for over a year. :) Thanks guys.

More and more, getting confused within a discussion, because one post may respond to another post regarding one model, with an answer or evidence from another.

So Fred might say he gets 36 miles range in his 2011 Volt, and is wondering why it is low, and Jill chimes in that she gets 111 miles, but neglect to mention it is a Tesla she's driving.

Difficult or sometimes not possible to determine to which they are referring.

In our profiles, we can select if we are a Volt owner or not.

Perhaps this could be modified to include which model, other vehicles, even 20 - 30 characters text.

This information could be presented under the banner that heads each message, in the section just below it where the username, join date, location and post count are displayed.

Many have taken to adding details of their ride(s) in their signature.
This might be a reflection of this problem and users attempt to alleviate it.

GMVolt forum manager(s); Please consider an alteration to the function of this forum to address this issue.

·
Administrator
20,215 Posts
Members already can identify the car they have in their signature (see mine).

The problem is not that it can't be done but that not everyone does it. I agree, it would be helpful if people added their car details to their signature. It's especially annoying when someone posts a problem and they don't provide the car year.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

The problem is not that it can't be done but that not everyone does it. I agree, it would be helpful if people added their car details to their signature. It's especially annoying when someone posts a problem and they don't provide the car year.
I concur. After over 10 years of moderating and administering VB forums, this is simply up to the users posting accurate information and asking the right questions.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts

And there are people who have their profile location as "USA" and then ask about or discuss their range ...

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
And there are people who have their profile location as "USA" and then ask about or discuss their range ...
Always been a pet peeve of mine. Are people ashamed to say what part of the country they live in?

·
Registered
949 Posts
I sometimes also wonder what car is being discussed, but then I just check the breadcrumb list at the top of the page... for example right now we are in:

Forum >> Other Topics Forum >> GM-VOLT.COM Site Suggestions >> What car is being discussed?

So if the person who posts uses the proper topic area (Gen 1 Volt, Gen 2 Volt, Spark EV, ELR, Bolt, etc) then if the poster does not specify the particular model then the breadcrumb list can be used as a reminder.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
It would be nice if everyone put their make/model/year in their signature line. The sig line doesn't take up any space in the forum other than the one occurrence.

·
Administrator
624 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion and input here. We will look into this and discuss it with the moderator staff.

Thanks,
- JB

·
Registered
193 Posts
Many have taken to adding details of their ride(s) in their signature.
This might be a reflection of this problem and users attempt to alleviate it.
So, OP, since you know of this solution, why don't you add your information in your signature? What kind of car do you have?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
It would be nice if everyone put their make/model/year in their signature line. The sig line doesn't take up any space in the forum other than the one occurrence.
This is pretty much all that is required for when people respond in a thread. It immediately lets others know what car they are talking about.

The "breadcrumbs" feature is already there actually, and we also already have specific forums for different cars (Gen1/Gen2 Volt, Bolt, Spark EV, ELR, other brands like Tesla etc. These are already being displayed at the top of the page when you are participating in a thread, AND they are also shown when you select a thread from the "New Posts" results.

So it's simply a matter of looking

I don't see how this could really be improved upon without changing the core Vbulletin structure

WOT

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I sometimes also wonder what car is being discussed, but then I just check the breadcrumb list at the top of the page... for example right now we are in:

Forum >> Other Topics Forum >> GM-VOLT.COM Site Suggestions >> What car is being discussed?

So if the person who posts uses the proper topic area (Gen 1 Volt, Gen 2 Volt, Spark EV, ELR, Bolt, etc) then if the poster does not specify the particular model then the breadcrumb list can be used as a reminder.
This doesn't work if you're on Tapatalk or the AG app.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts