GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I look forward to the Volt, BUT I'm tremendously conflicted about buying one. Why? Because I have a Mazda 3 Hatchback and LOVE it! I love the storage space and convenience and I really don't want to give it up.

That got me thinking, what car do you wish was offered as a RE-EV and why?

·
3,689 Posts
Hummer - can you imagine the look on the face of a tree hugger when you explain to them that their Civic pollutes more? Priceless.

Jeep - A very cool and small 4WD electric vehicle. You could drive it around in parks with little environmental damage.

Any exotic Italian sports car - Lamborghini EV anyone?

Venture One - http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/02/17/venture-vehicles-to-design-and-build-100-mpg-three-wheeled-road/ I just love the idea of a small two seat motorcycle-like EV or hybrid vehicle that would be safe on the road should you get hit from behind. I love scooters and motorcycles but the risk on the road is just too great. If it was build like a formula 1 pod then it would be my number one choice of transportation.

Rant: I think it might be time to segregate traffic between cars and cargo carrying vehicles. The trucks are getting bigger and faster while the human transport vehicles are getting lighter and weaker. If we split this up we could drive very light-weight and efficient vehicles without having to worry about colliding with a Hummer at 50 miles an hour. Ouch. This might be the one reality that slows the adoption of EVs in the US. Europe and Asia already have tiny cars on the road so the change is simple. This concerns me. End Rant - sorry.

·
1,101 Posts
Texas:

Good idea, but the problem is that most of the giant SUV's are driven by 98 lb women, on their way to get their nails done.........

It is so ridiculous!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Texas,

I will add Jeep to my list as well - the torque delivered by electric motors would really allow those vehicles to climb

Interest point about cargo vs. passenger traffic. On steep grades, trucks move to the far right, unfortunately, passengers must move through the far right lanes to enter and exit the freeway.

I still hope to see a mag lev train in an evacuated tube, which could "ferry" trucks or just their trailers on long distances. A mag lev in a near vacuum could travel at airplane speeds, and each pod could be "fired" down the rails independently, no need to link them up in trains.

Recently, Quantum Tech figured out how to pressurize hydrogen up to 10 kpsi, by using the same pump that went from 0 - 5kpsi, to transfer hydrogen from a 5 kpsi tank, up to a 10 kpsi tank. Similarly, those air handlers that mining companies use to circulate air through mines, could be placed serially, with valves and venturi end shaped chambers to draw down the pressure in the mag lev tube system to near zero.

I imagine a mag lev evacuated tube system that could send both passengers and shipping containers all through the system with no waiting or scheduling. Multiple loading docks will load passengers and freight, first come, first serve, and each pod would queue up as they are released from the docks, and launch in order of release.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have four kids...

So for me its a mini van that seats 6+ or preferably a Suburban because we NEED four wheel drive (not an option where we live).

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Awd

My wife "needs" all wheel drive and we need room for 5. Something like a Subaru station wagon would be good.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When the snow is 18+ inches deep and I need to get to work it would be REAL nice to have an range extended electric truck!!!!

Any 4x4 quad cab truck will do really, but the Tacoma is first choice seeing I just traded mine for a Camry Hybrid. The torque of the electric motor plus the HUGE amount of space under the bed for a BIG battery would be graet... plus I could use it to haul stuff when needed.

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Truck EV's!!!

I'd also like to see 4x4 & truck EV's as well. Not everyones needs can be satisfied with a car. I can see a pickup with a big motor and extra batteries to run the boat to the lake or something. Or a 4x4 jeep/truck to run around the farm. It wouldn't be too hard to install outlets out there so the truck can charge while I'm out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I look forward to the Volt, BUT I'm tremendously conflicted about buying one. Why? Because I have a Mazda 3 Hatchback and LOVE it! I love the storage space and convenience and I really don't want to give it up.

That got me thinking, what car do you wish was offered as a RE-EV and why?
A Saturn Vue or Outlook (Acadia, whatever) type vehicle... need more capacity. Minivan capacity would be fine..but GM is out of the mini business, right? :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Good idea, but the problem is that most of the giant SUV's are driven by 98 lb women, on their way to get their nails done.........

It is so ridiculous!!!!!!

:mad: grrrr... yep nothing pisses me off like a 98 pound woman in a SUV that she really doesn't need. How dare she drive the SUV.
And then again just think of the billions of Chinese that are cussing you for having the gall to waste money and resources on a car for both you AND your wife. The audacity.

Oh and I would like a chevy silverado with the capability to tow a boat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts