GM Volt Forum banner

What are your must have needs / requirements that the Volt must have and must........

10K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  boBNunny 
#1 ·
What are your must have needs / requirements that the Volt must have and must not have that will prevent you from buying the car

I am retired and don’t drive many miles, most days the car sits in the garage unused. Most of my trips are to Sam’s / Wal-Mart which is 2.7 miles from my house. I leased my Lexus GS450H [the “H” stands for hybrid] on June 21 / 08 and it only has a little over 500 miles on it, my last fill up was 2 or 3 weeks ago so I don’t buy much gas. The Lexus RX400H got 30 to 33 MPG around town and I expect the GS to be close to that number.

I moved to SC from NY about a year ago and I will probably be making two 1800 round trip drives to NY a year so long distance comfort is important to me. I also have a bad back and knees so lack of comfort is a deal breaker for me.

The Lexus was over $60,000 with options so I would be willing to pay the same or more for a volt if it had similar options but I got it on a lease with the intent of getting the Volt when the lease ends in 34 months. But if the Volt isn’t comfortable I’ll just buy out the lease and keep the Lexus. I don’t really use all that much gas but as a matter of principle I would like to sending my money to OPEC.

I am hoping at the very minimum, leather seats, power seats-side mirrors-windows, keyless entry, push button start, automatic climate control, cruise control, automatic rain sensing wipers.

OH YES! I hate daytime headlights which GM has pushed on us. They do nothing but waste power and gas. I have ha them disabled in every car I own. The are a dumb idea but putting them in an electric car will be beyond stupid

See less See more
#2 ·
Take as a given that the Volt's technology works properly and reliably. Once you get past that, comfort and convenience are near the top of my list. If I feel like I'm climbing down into a go-kart when I get into a Volt, I'll take a pass on the vehicle. Another item important to me is a powerful environmental control system - that can run with relative silence.

I will not get one of the first Volts to hit the street, even if I could. This entire platform is too new, and like any new technology, is likely to have bugs. I never get the very first version of anything technology-based, and that has proven to be a good plan. I'll wait for things to settle out first, and wait for Volt 2.0 - or, at the very least, wait a few months to see how things are going.

#3 ·
My general requirements for a car, in order:
Good brakes
Good handling
Good acceleration
Good ergonomics (placement/feel of controls and displays and comfort of the seat)
Good climate control (especially AC. It's often hot in Texas.)
Good Reliability and efficiency

These are always my requirements when I'm evaluating a car. Of course there are aesthetic concerns as well, a car that meets the other requirements but hurts me to look at isn't likely to end up in my driveway. My point is that the Volt doesn't get a pass on all the other things I look for in a car just because of the all-electric range aspect, and that's why it's exciting that GM is in this market at all. The Prius doesn't meet my needs... I'm not enough of an efficiency geek to overlook its tepid handling and weird ergonomics, and it hasn't been praised for strong AC performance either. GM knows how to chill the interior of a car, even in the bad old days when they weren't able to make one reliable.

#5 ·
It's got'a look good, not ugly like a Prius.

It must have adequate performance and acceleration.

It must be reliable.

It must fit me. (I'm not that tall, I don't want to sit on a phone book to see over the wheel)

I'd like XM radio, but that's not a deal killer.

A non-competitive price WOULD be a deal killer though.

Gee, that's about it, I'm really easy to please, huh?

#6 ·
The Lexus I just leased had a XM installed, and the dealer gave me a free 90 days. I don't drive that much [two months old and a little over 500 miles] so I didn't activate the free trial yet. I am waiting for my next long drive up to NY to see if In like it plus I talked to XM and found out in about 2 1/2 months I will be able to get some Sirius stations over XM so I think it is best to wait for the free trial. I am not sure if it is worth paying $12?? a month for a radio I will use 3 to 4 times a week for maybe 10 or 20 minutes with occasional long distance trips.

On one of my drives to to NY I wound up with a Hertz rental with Sirius, that I liked but I lost reception in a lot of areas near my house but most of the ride it was good except for a lost signal every time I went under a bridge. I have noticed the XM [they give you a free station to listen to even if the radio is not activated] does not loose the signal.

I am sure there are people with both XM and Siius. Is the reception better with XM?

#7 ·
With XM, Sirius or both (probably both, esp. after the merger) you can stream the radio stations to your PC for free if you have a subscription for your car. Try that while you're evaluating the free trial, that might be enough to make it worth the extra $12/month if you like their service.

As far as the reception difference, another thing you have to note is where you are at the time. They use terrestrial repeaters in urban areas to help "fill in" the shadows from large buildings, etc. so if you were in an urban area when you listened to XM working under bridges and a more rural area where Sirius cut out that could contribute to the difference.

#8 ·
It must visually appeal to ME!!! If I think it's ugly (prius like) I'll pass.

It MUST have V6 like performance at a minimum. My biggest regret with my 2008 Camry Hybrid is that it just doesn't have the accereration I require in those rare situations where you must floor it to get out of the way. I'll never make that mistake again, the hybrid Camry just can't get out of its own way fast enough. Even though it's fully loaded with all the toys I still kinda hate the car. An electric motor should kick the snot out of a gas motor under heavy acceleration so I have hope for the Volt.

As others have said it must fit ME. I'm 6' but all my height is in my upper body (only a 30" pants inseam). I've passes on many cars because I sit in them and my head is touching the roof and you can only recline a seat so far back and still drive :rolleyes:

It must be reliable and have a GOOD warranty. Such new tech should offer a 7/100 or 10/100 bumper to bumper (ya I know but it's nice to dream)

Good climate control is a must. I'm in upstate NY and we get summers that are hot and humid in the 90s+ and winters where -20 or -30 are not that uncommon. 20 to 30 days in a row below freezing are common.

Must handle well in the snow!!! We get snow storms anywhere from 8 to 24 inches at a time. (GM should send me a test Volt for our wide range of seasons alone huh? ;) )

I want keyless entry, remote for locking, and push button start (keyless ignition). But this seems to be becomming the norm. This I do like on my Camry.

Must have an in dash CD changer with at least 4 disc capasity that plays mp3s. It doesn't have to be thundering 400+ watts loud, but 90 watts wouldn't hurt.

I NEED Bluetooth to link to my cell phone.

I may pass on the GPS NAV system next time... The Camry has it but I rarely use it. Plus I have the same thing on my cell phone and I can take it with me on foot. But If the package was right I'd go for it... depends on how crazy the price come out to be when the Volt hits the showroom. Now if the nav system offered me Wifi internet (802.11g/n) AND the ability to use the net off my cell phone if wifi was unavailable.... that would be AWESOME!!! :cool:

Now here's a funny one.... I hate... and I mean HATE leather seats!!! If I could have gotten this Camry without them I would have (but the deal was to GOOD to pass on). So I want to be able to get all my toys and still opt out of the leather seats that make me stick to them in the hot summer and freeze me in the winter (but they are heated).

Oh... and I'll take one in this color.... so it can match my Yamaha FZ1
Yamaha 0564 Deep Purplish Blue Metallic C (DPBMC)
SKU # : 5815
Paint Vendor : ColorRite
Manufacturer : Yamaha
Manufacturer Code : 0564

#9 · (Edited)
It must visually appeal to ME!!! If I think it's ugly (prius like) I'll pass.

It MUST have V6 like performance at a minimum. My biggest regret with my 2008 Camry Hybrid is that it just doesn't have the accereration I require in those rare situations where you must floor it to get out of the way. I'll never make that mistake again, the hybrid Camry just can't get out of its own way fast enough. Even though it's fully loaded with all the toys I still kinda hate the car. An electric motor should kick the snot out of a gas motor under heavy acceleration so I have hope for the Volt.
I had a Lexus RX400H SUV that was pretty fast but I now have a Lexus GS450H [both hybrids] Lexus advertises 0 to 60 in 5.2 seconds and I floored it once to try it out and the second time because I wanted to pass someone fast. I have no doubt the 5.2 number is accurate

I don't expect to see 0 to 60 in 5.2 seconds but I would like to see something close to that. Sometimes you need that power to get yourself on to a busy freeway

The RX was 0 to 60 in 7.3 second with AWD, I would be happy with that

#11 ·
Tanstaafl

There's no free lunch, climate control will definitely consume some energy. Casual empricism suggests to me that AC costs me between 5 and 10% in terms of the fuel mileage in my car, and that's probably a conservative estimate, since some of the drop in fuel economy is due to the hot, humid air in the summer decreasing the engine's efficiency (an effect that will be significantly reduced for the Volt unless you're on a long road trip.)

Let's say it costs you 10%, that's 36 miles instead of 40. I'd trade that off to keep from arriving drenched in sweat on a 100+ degree day. There's also the easy win of being able (theoretically, I don't know if they'll design for this) to hit a button on your key fob and have the car start to heat or cool the interior while it's still on "shore power" so you reduce the impact you'd have on range.

#13 ·
Increased insulation might be a double-edged sword in a hot climate, though... most of the heat gain in the daytime comes from solar energy through the glass. That's why my car is tinted... the side windows are as dark as I can tolerate at night so that the car doesn't cook in the daytime. I could legally tint it quite a bit darker in Texas (especially on the back windows) but I don't like to have to roll down the windows to reverse at night...

At any rate, if you have lots of insulation in the non-glass parts, and stream in lots of solar radiation (in a car without window tint) you might make it even worse, STORING the heat that shines in. That's a guess on my part, I'm not sure it would pan out that way, but I'd rather see a solar-powered ventilation system that pulled out hot air anytime the sun was shining on the car and the interior temp was above a comfortable level.

#14 ·
My needs...

My cars needs... :rolleyes:

Bluetooth is a necessity with obex capability. I have to have hands free options for my cell phone.
Sirius Satalite
MP3 jack
adjustable gas and brake pedals ( I'm only 5'1" and I don't like kissing the steering wheel )
leather interior
a split back seat so I can access the trunk from inside the car
rain senitive windshield wipers
Power seats and windows
Convertable????????
Oh yeah, is it too much to ask for a Bose stero system???:cool:

#16 ·
I am willing to live with the (minor) hassle of plugging the car in to charge it, and having a limited all-electric driving range; this is just part of the deal with a car like the Volt. Even so, I will not sacrifice basic comfort just to have an electric vehicle. I want a car, not a go-kart.

I don't expect real wood inlays in the dash, or fine leather seating. I don't need adjustable pedals. I can turn on the wipers myself when I see rain hitting the windshield. I'll even live with a manually-adjusted driver's seat (barbaric!). However, if the Volt isn't easy for me to get in and out of, and doesn't have a good, powerful environmental system, it won't find residence in my garage. Which would be sad. . .

#17 ·
My body is all mucked up with arthritis so easy in and out is #1. Leather seats are important because they breathe, Cloth are next best, but Vinyl is a deal breaker. If they don't have all the fancy stuff such as automatic wipers they should at least offer them in a luxury package

#19 ·
Not really. You can pre heat the seats while plugged in. Dual zone probably uses the same or less energy than single zone. Power seats give you infinite options for adjustment and maximum comfort, but I set my seats two months ago when I got my car and haven't moved them since so they have zero power consumption. Sometimes on long trips I change seat positions but that is only after a few hours driving, Bose touts them self as being efficient speaker manufactures

#21 · (Edited)
Air conditioning, Navigator, stereo with CD player. I am not a believer in anti-lock brakes, as recent studies show that they are as much a hindrance as a help. I would love to see green road technologies vehicle safety system installed, as I am currently testing it at work:

http://www.greenroad.com/documents/greenroad-company-overview.pdf

As a long torso/short legged person, I would prefer more headroom to a sun/moon roof. As a person who would really, really like to extend the Volt's all-electric range to say 43 miles, I would love a roof with solar panels.

I want it to be black. If I'm shelling out $40k+, I want it to be refined, well constructed, and lack cheap plastic parts that easily snap off. I want it to seat two in the front very comfortably, and 2 in the back somewhat cramped.

I want some control over the facility that manages the level of storage in the battery... such that if I am 100 miles from the base of the Grapevine on I-5 heading south, I can tell the ICE to crank up and put power into the battery (I don't want to be stuck at ICE only generated power half-way up the mountainside).

I wouldn't mind my car wearing a GM advertisement wrapper. I live in downdown Tesla Country (My home is in Sunnyvale and my work is in Menlo Park), and would love to let people see the Volt in action, and leave them wondering when they are actually going to see a Tesla other than on Jay Leno's Garage show.

My biggest concern is that electric vehicles will have a high rate of accidents in their initial years, due to their power implementation differences. Always-on torque can be fine for your electric scooter or your golf cart, but it can be unsettling in a vehicle that weighs many hundreds of pounds.

#23 ·
My biggest concern is that electric vehicles will have a high rate of accidents in their initial years, due to their power implementation differences. Always-on torque can be fine for your electric scooter or your golf cart, but it can be unsettling in a vehicle that weighs many hundreds of pounds.
The first tesla prototype rear ended a semi on its very first test drive because of this. The driver couldn't handle the torque and crumpled the whole front of the vehicle. :eek:

#24 ·
Requirements

First and FOREMOST is reliability. The Battery MUST last 100K miles. Otherwise, what's the point? And the rest must have the same reliability of the best cars currently. You must give GM back the reputation of quality and toughness!

Second is climate control. It MUST have an ice-cold A/C. Those of us in Florida and the SouthWest will not buy if it doesn't.

It must have some small "cool" factors. If you really want to spread the word of mouth about the car, we must be WOWED by it. Maybe Navigational system (Sync?) standard?

It MUST come in under $35K. If it doesn't, most American's can't afford it even if they want it.

Finally, a wish list item, of a guaranteed 60% trade-in value after 3 years toward another Volt or GM vehicle.

You can truly change the course of American driving if you can accomplish all of these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.