GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fortunate that I travel about 42 miles round trip to work and back and have Gen 2 Volt. I am UNfortunate that I Live in California and the AVERAGE SPEED on the Interstate is 80 to 90 MPH!! (IF NOT bumper to bumper) early am and later pm! To be safe i decided to just drive and stay in the flow of traffic (average 80 mpg).
Yet I still run all the way TO AND FROM WORK on battery power and seem to show about 46 miles on a fully recharged battery. I have yet to buy any gas :))

What are YOU averaging (under the same conditions) on a Full charge when you JUST DRIVE the car without respect for being a "hyper-Miler"??

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Both "normal" and "hard" are so subjective is the problem...

One of the biggest factors to help identify the metrics are when you're completely stopped on a flat road at a red light and then the light turns green...How hard do you step on the accelerator from a 0-100%? Generally going over 20% has the "leaf ball" go over the first line...Obviously everything is a factor such as overall speed, braking and HVAC use...

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Such an individual question that there are probably multiple answers for every driver.

I get ~40miles on a charge on my ELR. I don't drive mellow unless the car is driving (ACC).

Come to think of it, ACC isn't all that mellow either. Drives like a 1st-year teen. All reactive (adaptive) and no anticipate.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am fortunate that I travel about 42 miles round trip to work and back and have Gen 2 Volt. I am UNfortunate that I Live in California and the AVERAGE SPEED on the Interstate is 80 to 90 MPH!! (IF NOT bumper to bumper) early am and later pm! To be safe i decided to just drive and stay in the flow of traffic (average 80 mpg).
Yet I still run all the way TO AND FROM WORK on battery power and seem to show about 46 miles on a fully recharged battery. I have yet to buy any gas :))

What are YOU averaging (under the same conditions) on a Full charge when you JUST DRIVE the car without respect for being a "hyper-Miler"??
That's unbelievably impressive actually. How is your topography? Here in Western PA, there are tons of ups and downs. I'd be shocked if I could get much more than high 30s.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
That's unbelievably impressive actually. How is your topography? Here in Western PA, there are tons of ups and downs. I'd be shocked if I could get much more than high 30s.
He has a Gen 2 and posted this in the Gen 2 forum.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The biggest killer of range for me is high speed or heavy HVAC use. Accelerating hard in town (say up to 40 mph) only takes maybe 10 or 15% range, accelerating hard at highway speeds or frequently changing speeds is a lot worse. In summer my 2012 range is from 30 to 50 miles, 30 is like 75 mph with AC and 50 is trying to maintain speed at 35 mph with few stop lights and no AC. Gen 2 would add 40 to 50%, say 45 to 75 miles.

As long as you aren't averaging 90 mph for a long time it won't hurt your range that much.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I've had both Gen I and Gen II Volts.

On my Gen II:
At 70F going a steady 75mph with mild hilly terrain I got around 50 miles EV.
At 80F on my normal commute driving normal to aggressive I can easily do 60 to 65 miles EV.
At 30F on my normal commute driving normal to aggressive using only heated steering wheel and seats I would get about 50 miles EV.
At 70F driving a casual 50mph on back country roads I can do ~75 miles EV.

On my Gen I:
At 70F going a steady 75mph with mild hilly terrain I got around 35 miles EV.
At 80F on my normal commute driving normal to aggressive I can easily do ~44 miles EV.
At 30F on my normal commute driving normal to aggressive using only heated seats I would get about 35 miles EV.
At 70F driving a casual 50mph on back country roads I can do ~50 miles EV.

Note my normal commute is about 40% city at ~40mph and 60% country road at ~65mph.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It was 100+ degrees on Saturday and I took the Volt for a long interstate trip (flat land). Driving 55-65 mph, with fan on highest speed and going between ECO and MAX, I still got over 53 miles of EV-only range.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was 100+ degrees on Saturday and I took the Volt for a long interstate trip (flat land). Driving 55-65 mph, with fan on highest speed and going between ECO and MAX, I still got over 53 miles of EV-only range.
53 is impressive. I have yet to get over 44 or so using Eco a/c and averaging 75 to 80 mph on freeway and its mostly freeway except for about 4 or 5 miles of trip (it's been really humid in So. california lately).
Does the Volt get better average as you put more miles on it? Have you noticed improvement at 5k miles or 10k miles or more?
Please advise?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have also noticed a rather dramatic drop in range when traveling on the expressway at over 65 MPH or needing to accelerate at a higher rate than I would normally do.

Makes me think how can it be considered "green" to offer a ludicrous speed mode which fosters a huge waste of energy?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
53 is impressive. I have yet to get over 44 or so using Eco a/c and averaging 75 to 80 mph on freeway and its mostly freeway except for about 4 or 5 miles of trip (it's been really humid in So. california lately).
Does the Volt get better average as you put more miles on it? Have you noticed improvement at 5k miles or 10k miles or more?
Please advise?
I does get a little better as the tires break in. Keep in mind drag force against the car increases exponentially with speed. So speed will hurt your range big time.

Also watch your tires. They should be 36psi cold minimum. Many people including myself are running 40psi cold. And this helps a fair bit.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I normally get 55-65 miles EV depending upon how much freeway driving is in the mix. Just returned from a 1,400 miler almost all on gas. Avg. measured 41.5 mpg, high of 45+ and low of 39.1 (at 75-85 mph on the 5 freeway at 90-105F temperature) BTW, the ECO setting for A/C is adequate for driver-only in those temperatures.

·
Registered
251 Posts
... on gas. Avg. measured 41.5 mpg, high of 45+ and low of 39.1 (at 75-85 mph on the 5 freeway at 90-105F temperature) ...
I have used hardly any gasoline so far (1,000 miles on odo), and this MPG using the ICE is good to hear. I was braced for 35-37 which compares poorly with the Chevy Cruze ECO I just sold which got 40+ all day long.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have also noticed a rather dramatic drop in range when traveling on the expressway at over 65 MPH or needing to accelerate at a higher rate than I would normally do.

Makes me think how can it be considered "green" to offer a ludicrous speed mode which fosters a huge waste of energy?
TESLA has a LUDICROUS model that i drove with 800HP and gets about 250 MILE on range. It's fantastic! Everyone who drove FLOORS IT from 0 to 80 MPH in SECONDS (where the governor is set:)
iT PINS YOU TO THE BACK OF YOUR SEAT AND HUGS THE ROAD AS IF YOU ARE DOING 50. vERY IMPRESSIVE...AND hOPEFULLY CHEVY GETS THOSE BATTERIES for the Volt & Malibu and the entire Line up.

I think Its coming sooner than we think due to the competition driving it faster. Even Toyota is entering the market with plug ins and many manufacturers have stated they will be all ELECTRIC in the next 5 to 10 years.
I have a friend that owns several large gas stations and refuses to believe it :)

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Pretty impressed with the range a lot of you are getting especially 70MPH+...

TESLA has a LUDICROUS model that i drove with 800HP and gets about 250 MILE on range. It's fantastic! Everyone who drove FLOORS IT from 0 to 80 MPH in SECONDS (where the governor is set:)
iT PINS YOU TO THE BACK OF YOUR SEAT AND HUGS THE ROAD AS IF YOU ARE DOING 50. vERY IMPRESSIVE...AND hOPEFULLY CHEVY GETS THOSE BATTERIES for the Volt & Malibu and the entire Line up.

I think Its coming sooner than we think due to the competition driving it faster. Even Toyota is entering the market with plug ins and many manufacturers have stated they will be all ELECTRIC in the next 5 to 10 years.
I have a friend that owns several large gas stations and refuses to believe it :)
Agree but just don't see it happening...With the ELR now gone, I could see the Volt gaining the ELR's ability to run both the EV and ICE at the same time to get about a second faster 0-60...

·
Registered
11 Posts
So Cal experience

Our typical drive is between country and city at speeds under 50 mph. Those loops routinely yield around 53 EV miles. It's a 1500' drop between us and town, so it's always fun to arrive there with more stated range than when we started. Of course, we give it all back on the return climbs.

On longer freeway trips I switch to Hold mode and average around 41+ mpg. There's almost no negative effect to Hold mode; when the tiny gasoline engine--sorry, range extender--needs help on the climbs the electric motors seamlessly switch in. When their help is no longer needed, the range extender also recharges the battery back to the Hold level. It's so subtle that I took several drives before figuring out how much was actually going on.

·
Registered
313 Posts
my Gen2 2017 averages 70 to 80 miles per charge, highest odometer miles reading 84. slightly hilly, 73 deg F, AC off, Cruise ON, brake pedal only, speed driven mostly around 30-40 mph.

When approaching highway speeds there is a loss of regen as the car is working to keep the speed up, even on downhill roads. This keeps a constant draw on the battery reserve and you are not building rolling reserve (miles and charge), which affects my battery mileage after recharge. I check my odometer miles versus the batt est miles and they come in pretty close. It is not unusual for the odometer miles to be HIGHER than the battery estimated miles.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Please advise?
I can't answer that because I only have 3,800+ miles on it so far. I also forgot to mention that I keep my cold tire PSI at 40.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts