GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I've been looking at used Gen 1 Volts, currently at a 2013 and a 2014, both apparently similarly equipped.

What were the key feature differences / improvements from 2013 to 2014? I'm trying to get a clear picture what I'd gain going forward to 2014 and what I'd lose going backward to 2013.

Thanks!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Nothing, other than a clipper creek L1 evse with the 14.

2015’s got a slightly bigger Battery. But were still rated at 38 mi EV range.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
later build 2014s got the slightly bigger (by 0.5 kWh) battery. I would 100% check to see if the 2014 you are considering has that extra capacity--you'll miss it if you don't even know that.

Otherwise, the '14s stopped the "two tone" on the seats (not sure if that's even on the '13) and no longer have the "push-button" auto-open charge door.

I had a '13 and REALLY liked that feature--it was especially helpful when my hands were full. However, they were also plagued with issues of sticking which is why GM discontinued them. I had mine fixed 3 times but then never had a problem again. I miss it with the '17.

If those issues don't matter, then I would just go with price as you should get a better deal on an earlier model year.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hi
what I'd lose going backward to 2013.

Thanks!
Nothing on 99% of cars, 2013’s might have even had some extras you won’t get in a 14,

My 13 has 2 tone seats by the way.

The only circumstance where the 14 has a leg up is if you get one with a late build date in 2014,
Very rare though, most have build dates through May 14 which won’t get the bigger battery

·
Registered
622 Posts
later build 2014s got the slightly bigger (by 0.5 kWh) battery. I would 100% check to see if the 2014 you are considering has that extra capacity--you'll miss it if you don't even know that.

Otherwise, the '14s stopped the "two tone" on the seats (not sure if that's even on the '13) and no longer have the "push-button" auto-open charge door.

I had a '13 and REALLY liked that feature--it was especially helpful when my hands were full. However, they were also plagued with issues of sticking which is why GM discontinued them. I had mine fixed 3 times but then never had a problem again. I miss it with the '17.

If those issues don't matter, then I would just go with price as you should get a better deal on an earlier model year.
What identifies the slightly larger battery?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
If it's after 5/14/14, mine has the larger battery with a build date of 5/23/14.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
'14s can display/read text messages to you on-screen.
And the manual charge door and battery, as mentioned earlier. Battery would be very hard to determine. Best to just assume you're not getting it - if you are, bonus.

The automatic charge door seems like a neat feature, but a lot of people have had trouble with them (thus the change to manual going forward). I personally do not miss the electronic opening door.

As for problems with the years - 2013s have a higher than usual % of issues with the heater not working in EV mode.
Some 14s have as well, but far lower %.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
When did the garage door opener button on the overhead go away? I think all the Gen I's have it but the Gen II's don't, or did it go away in 2014? Sorry for asking a question instead of answering one.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
whats a clean 2013 premiere(47k)(blk on blk) w/ leather worth?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
When did the garage door opener button on the overhead go away? I think all the Gen I's have it but the Gen II's don't, or did it go away in 2014? Sorry for asking a question instead of answering one.
Correct, all 2011-2015 have homelink built in.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In the 2013's the clock does not automatically update for Daylight Savings Time or revert to Standard Time. The 2014's do.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Also, the 2013's had a slightly lower front air dam that scraped angled driveways and speed bumps more readily. The 2014's air dam is somewhat shorter (higher off the ground).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts