GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever thought of this idea? I know I have heard about solar on the roof, but why not a couple of small wind generators in the grill? You would think a steady 50 to 90 mph wind could generate some extra power.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The net effect of that is to create more drag which will not be recouped by the energy it will generate. So you will have net energy losses from such a system.

Redesigning the shape of the Volt for better aerodynamics is a better approach, just my opinion. The engineers have modified the shape of the volt several times to fit various criteria.

·
3,689 Posts
Has anyone ever thought of this idea? I know I have heard about solar on the roof, but why not a couple of small wind generators in the grill? You would think a steady 50 to 90 mph wind could generate some extra power.

You only need to watch the following video. Yes fellow posters, it's time to laugh once again. BigCityCat, welcome to reality... ;)

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=bkcn8ZkvKKc

If you want the entire discussion here is the massive link. Great read:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141&highlight=wind+generator

·
Registered
495 Posts
It would work (but let me explain).

Imagine an electric car with city-bus-like aerodynamics. Big flat front. If you curved up that front and reduced the drag and placed wind generators on the bus that had less drag than the flatness you just curved and improved, you could improve aerodynamics and produce some power, but only compared to the previous inefficient model. You can never produce more power through a wind generator than it causes due to drag. In other words, it's much better to simply make the car more aerodynamic in the first place.

Wind generators are used on aircraft, but only for emergency power. Many passenger jets, for instance, have auxiliary wind generators that deploy to provide emergency power in the event of electrical system failure.

Just remember this: Drag is always 100% efficient. No device can overcome drag with that very same drag, because it could never achieve higher than 100% efficiency.

However, if you had wind generators on your Volt when it's parked (and retracted them when you get underway), that would work.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
It would work (but let me explain).
However, if you had wind generators on your Volt when it's parked (and retracted them when you get underway), that would work.
Ok, you got me there. And if you have a really big wind generator and there is wind where you parked, it would be a lot cheaper than solar, per watt. But it will never be mounted inside the Volt's grill. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
So you want to strap huge balloons to your car and just drive very slowly around power lines and overpasses?

The reason no one puts wind generators in the grille of a car is that wind generators create drag, and the amount of power required to overcome the generator drag is more than the amount produced by the generators as you drive down the street. It's a net loss, not a gain.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'm definitely not an engineer, so it was just a thought, but thanks for responding. It looks like I get one hell of a response when I'm an idiot than when I actually have something constructive.lol

·
Registered
495 Posts
So you want to strap huge balloons to your car and just drive very slowly around power lines and overpasses?
Nope, just when parked ;).

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I wouldn't mind an optional wind turbine that could pop up out of the trunk for charging the battery while the vehicle is parked!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Until someone steals it. :eek:

My guess is ligher-than-air generators would be as close to practical as one could hope to get for recharging a car off-the-grid. I would assume a standard wind generator would need to be too large and too high for practical deployment from a parked car. But a tank of helium and a back-pack sized canopy isn't too heavy or bulky.

Of course, it's still completely impractical. You would need a winch system, enough clearance, lots of deployment time, and FAA permits (they consider it a moored airship).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Until someone steals it. :eek:

My guess is ligher-than-air generators would be as close to practical as one could hope to get for recharging a car off-the-grid. I would assume a standard wind generator would need to be too large and too high for practical deployment from a parked car. But a tank of helium and a back-pack sized canopy isn't too heavy or bulky.

Of course, it's still completely impractical. You would need a winch system, enough clearance, lots of deployment time, and FAA permits (they consider it a moored airship).
or skip all that and use an oscillating generator rather than a rotating one. Cheaper to make and fewer moving parts, too ;)

You could put an oscillating generator on the peak of your house, working in conjunction with photovoltaics or other solar cells charging AGM batteries during the day. At night the oscillating generator continues to trickle charge the batteries even as your plugged in car transfers a large portion of the stored power to its onboard pack via a 220 connection.

The next day you're off to work, and the first 40 miles is completely free. As a bonus, so is the electricity for your house unless you have a power sucking plasma TV or something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts