GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012_Volt.jpg

This week I had to cover for 2 employees at work as well as my regular job, my wife and my youngest two children are at a cottage so I had to maintain the household, and I had to look in on my 89 year old father-in-law. To top all that off my 2007 Saturn Aura's engine failed and needed to be replaced (ouch). Well with little spare time, I had to make a decision. Was I going to pay to replace the engine in the Saturn which would take about a week, or attempt to trade it in for a new car?

I went to Chevrolet’s volt website and found a lease deal with $2,479 due at signing, $249/month with 12,000 miles per year allowance. This is a best case scenario. I sent out emails from the site to 3 local dealerships. All responded with the usual initial email. I replied to all three detailing what I was looking for a bit better. Two replied, one lease was for 27 month 10,000 miles per year with $3500.00 down for 27 months and $405.00/month payments which was partly due to the car being fully loaded. Well with my oldest in college that was not doable as they wanted nothing to do with my deceased Saturn. The other dealer actually indicated they might be interested in using the Saturn as a trade in for the down payment. So after sending 24 pictures and the VIN so they should check Car Fax, they agreed to take the car for the down payment on the lease. The deal was not quite as good as the Chevy website, but I needed a car. The lease was 24 months with 10,000 miles per year allowance and a payment of $268.00 per month. This works or me as I barely put 6-7,000 miles on in a year. Also as it turns out the engine wasn't quite as bad as they thought so they may actually give me a few thousand more back by check! What is the point of all this? I am now the proud leaser of a 2012 White Chevy Volt! :cool: Something I thought I'd have to wait a bit for. It is a "basic" model with no Bose stereo, cloth seats, standard wheels, and no backup mirror. Having said that the seats are still quite comfortable and nice, the stereo is just fine, and honestly I don't know why you would need a backup camera in a compact. The lower rear window is quite effective. As for the wheels, they still look nice, just not as shiny.

My impressions of the car so far are that it is extremely quiet with the radio off as many here can attest to. I am getting really used to (and loving) the keyless operation. Walk up to the car, push the silver button on the door handle to unlock/lock the doors, push the start button to start/stop very cool. The start up and shutdown sounds are pretty cool as is the sound the car makes after you get in and close the door. I find the controls pretty intuitive although it does take a bit to get used to. I’m in IT so perhaps I take to this better than some. One ding (a minor one) for me is the rear view mirror is located either too close to the top of the window, or the roof console sticks out to far, impeding the rear view a bit. Otherwise the car handles well, and is quite comfortable. I’m playing with the “L” driving setting and somewhat enjoying minimal use of the brakes. The OnStar RemoteLink app is wonderful. One thing I would recommend is that OnStar put a “call OnStar” button in the app. Overall the car moves through traffic effortlessly. Very glad to be a Volt leaser and now can better understand some of the comments made here. I would have to say that the gm-volt website has allowed this to be a well informed purchase. A warm thanks to everyone here.

JDan

·
Super Moderator
6,340 Posts
One ding (a minor one) for me is the rear view mirror is located either too close to the top of the window, or the roof console sticks out to far, impeding the rear view a bit.
Congrats on surviving such a stressful week so well. You'll find the quiet and smooth ride of the Volt an ongoing relaxed drive.

See my sig on how to potentially fix that rear view mirror issue.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Welcome to the Club! Enjoy the VOLT, your driving distance will help you be one of those VOLT drivers that rarely use gas. As for the mirror it is somewhat close, but since it has two pivots on the arm, one upper and one lower, you can likely get the mirror to move lower for you.

I have a base model '11 and love it just fine. To me the cloth seats are great in the hot and cold temps and there is really nothing base about the VOLT feature wise.

Enjoy the ride. I still do after over a year in the car, it still is awesome to drive and a fun experience.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Congrats on your new can and, as Scott has mentioned, on surviving such a hectic week. You seem to have gotten a good deal on your car. The advertised specials always assume the most favorable state tax treatment and some things are excluded, so getting close is good enough. Also with any lease, and especially a short one like you have, skipping all the options is a good approach. This lease is just a long term rental, so loading it up with options is just getting it ready for the next buyer.

Hope next week isn't as hectic. Enjoy your car.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Congratulations on a great outcome from all of the chaos elements that you had to deal with.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks every one. My co-workers and wife are back next week (OK that sounds a bit odd :) ). Getting the Volt certainly made my week much better. I'll try the suggestions and see if I can get the mirror in a better place. I previously test drove a 2011 Volt and one thing I noticed between the two is that the 2012 brakes have a very gradual shift from regen to disk transition. You almost cannot feel the difference. In the 2011 I could easily feel when the brakes went from regen to disk which was a bit of an odd feeling. Probably one could get used to it. If the 2011's now also have a gradual shift from my test drive perhaps GM implemented a software update.

1,214 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts