GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since GM discontinued the Volt, what’s your next car going to be? I’m not getting a volt mainly because my needs have changed. I used to drive 50+ miles per day, but switched to working from home (pre Covid). The volt was a great commuter car, but I really need more space and cargo room. My wife hates low bucket seats so the next vehicle needs to be SUV-like where you are sitting more upright to save her back. It must have adjustable lumbar support. And with how little we are using dino juice it doesn’t necessarily need to be electric.

I have my eye on the Cadillac Lyriq in a few years. I could probably get by with a Mustang Mach E. We could even go Subaru Outback or Ascent for far less money. My guess is that a Silverado/Sierra EV or Subyukonade EV will cost way too much.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I, like you, are thinking the Cadillac Lyriq in a few years. I could probably get by with a Mustang Mach E as well. Nothing that's available right now interests me at all.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Maybe Ford Ranger. Depends on how some other stuff goes. If some other stuff happens I'll keep cruising with the Volt for next years and see what's available then. Figure there's good 10-15 years left on the car anyway.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
My next car will be a BEV of some sort, but since I'm several years from looking I have no idea what it will be.

Reactions: Norton

·
Registered
465 Posts
Based on the information known today:
1. Tesla Cybertruck
2. Chevy Colorado diesel crew cab short box.
3. GMC Canyon diesel.

I'll be cranking on 20k miles a year for the foreseeable future. If anything, this number may be going up once I start teaching precision rifle in my free time. Tesla has the charging infrastructure to handle the planned routes. Currently the CCS infrastructure isn't there yet. Either I wouldn't make it, or if one charging station was down I'd be stranded. The Cybertruck would result in substantial fuel savings provided it's reliable and the battery can handle the miles.

·
Registered
13,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based on the information known today:
1. Tesla Cybertruck
2. Chevy Colorado diesel crew cab short box.
3. GMC Canyon diesel.

I'll be cranking on 20k miles a year for the foreseeable future. If anything, this number may be going up once I start teaching precision rifle in my free time. Tesla has the charging infrastructure to handle the planned routes. Currently the CCS infrastructure isn't there yet. Either I wouldn't make it, or if one charging station was down I'd be stranded. The Cybertruck would result in substantial fuel savings provided it's reliable and the battery can handle the miles.
Colorado with the Z72 package and big roll bar in the truck bed is on my wish list - surprisingly my wife kind of liked it (looking at web pics) for the off chance that we take a trip to Alaska. Alas, we don't make it a habit of offloading, at least not yet.

I just about barfed when I saw the Cybertruck reveal. I know, there are lots of people who will buy it to have a vehicle like something out of Bladerunner, but I'm not jumping onto that bandwagon.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Colorado with the Z72 package and big roll bar in the truck bed is on my wish list - surprisingly my wife kind of liked it (looking at web pics) for the off chance that we take a trip to Alaska. Alas, we don't make it a habit of offloading, at least not yet.

I just about barfed when I saw the Cybertruck reveal. I know, there are lots of people who will buy it to have a vehicle like something out of Bladerunner, but I'm not jumping onto that bandwagon.
Yeah, I can understand the reaction to the Cybertruck, you're not alone. I'm more of a functional guy, so the durable stainless steel panels appeal to me for long-term use. The idea is I could drive it for very long time, and put a high number of miles on it economically. This would allow me so save more money long-term by not having a car payment, working toward that greenback troll status. (y)
I'm also one of those weird people who like the look, and having something very different from everything else.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am in the market for a great-condition 2006-2008 Chevy Aveo hatchback.
Needs to be automatic and strongly prefer cruise control.
Orange/copper color would be fantastic.

·
Registered
13,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I can understand the reaction to the Cybertruck, you're not alone. I'm more of a functional guy, so the durable stainless steel panels appeal to me for long-term use. The idea is I could drive it for very long time, and put a high number of miles on it economically. This would allow me so save more money long-term by not having a car payment, working toward that greenback troll status. (y)
I'm also one of those weird people who like the look, and having something very different from everything else.
Every step along the way Tesla has failed to entice me to buy their cars. The Model S was too expensive to begin with, the Model X Falcon wing doors don't appeal to me. The Model 3 having a trunk instead of a hatch killed it, the Model Y seems close to my needs but now that so many enticing vehicles are around the corner the Y just looks too much like all their other cars where I'm not excited about it. If they only built the Model X with regular or sliding doors, I'd probably be driving one. If they came out with the Y before the 3, I'd probably be driving one. Why they didn't take the Model S skateboard and slap a 2 door coupe on it is beyond me. Imagine something like an Aston Martin Vantage-like body on an S platform, It would be tempting.

I'd love to get a Roadster 2, but I'm not ready to plunk down a quarter million dollars on a car. Maybe in 10 years (maybe by then they will finally release it).

Then comes the stigma of owning a Tesla.

LL

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had been considering a pure electric vehicle of some kind but I'm disappointed with the lack of battery advancements. The reason I bought a Volt was due to the lack of range in pure EVs and over the past two and a half years since I purchased it range barely improved. Those improvements have come at unlocking existing battery capacity and not advancements in battery technology. Very disappointed with the state of EV technology these days. Seems to have stagnated.

·
Registered
13,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had been considering a pure electric vehicle of some kind but I'm disappointed with the lack of battery advancements. The reason I bought a Volt was due to the lack of range in pure EVs and over the past two and a half years since I purchased it range barely improved. Those improvements have come at unlocking existing battery capacity and not advancements in battery technology. Very disappointed with the state of EV technology these days. Seems to have stagnated.
I agree. Even with the onslaught of EVs getting released in the next year or so, they have been coming at a glacial pace.

If I didn’t already have a volt, I might have bought an ELR. If I didn’t get that, I might have gotten a CT6 plugin.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
A Bolt or Bolt EUV size and capability vehicle isn't a long term solution for me. I can get by for a year but I need something that can go x-country and haul.
The plan is a dual motor cybertruck, IFF Tesla can hold the purchase price at $50K, not 50K after estimated savings or full self driving becoming a mandatory option for an additional 10K.
The Texas terafactory may well be producing vehicles late 2021 and my reservation number is low enough I might have one in 1st half of 2022.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Well, my IDEAL next vehicle would be a Leopard around 45 feet with a 3-cabin layout, but... At this point, a Bolt mostly likely suits me. I don't pretend I need to drive across the country in 50 hours at the drop of a hat, and I can afford a Premier one that's about three years old for cash. If I can hold out for a couple a years, then a 2019 in Shock will be three years and that appeals a lot.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
My next car hasn't been built yet. I keep my cars 20+ years (if I won't like it in a few years, I'm looking at the wrong car) and I just bought my used Volt 2+ years ago. With the million mile batteries around the corner (just announced by Tesla and GM) and at 60% cheaper, I don't see one in ten years or so. I'll be 84 by then so will likely be my last car as I don't expect to be driving past 104. They'll be auto drivers by then.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
13,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
My next car hasn't been built yet. I keep my cars 20+ years (if I won't like it in a few years, I'm looking at the wrong car) and I just bought my used Volt 2+ years ago. With the million mile batteries around the corner (just announced by Tesla and GM) and at 60% cheaper, I don't see one in ten years or so. I'll be 84 by then so will likely be my last car as I don't expect to be driving past 104. They'll be auto drivers by then.
I'm almost the same way. The last car I purchased was a 2013 volt and prior to that was a 2004 CTS for the wife and before that a 1995 Suburban. All three are in the fleet of cars we still drive in the driveway. I drive my wife nuts because as soon as we buy a car, I'm shopping for the next one which takes at least a decade to decide. I still surf car sites, watch youtube videos, etc as if I'm buying the car this week even though I'm not. But we're at the point there my wife is retired, the 401k is flush and I could break my frugal habit by buying something really, really nice and jettisoning the fleet, or even (dare I say it?) lease a vehicle and swap every few years. I have this wild thought of tempting 60 minute to do an expose of this crazy man who spent his entire social security check on an exotic car.

·
Administrator
20,222 Posts
I too hold on to my cars. With a 2011 Volt and a 2017 Bolt I'm set for the foreseeable future. But when the Volt needs replacing I'll likely get a used Bolt to replace it as I think my time buying new cars is over. Used are simply a better value overall.

Also, GM will have 20+ new EV's in North America by 2025, so one of those may end up on someone's "my next car" list

1 - 20 of 29 Posts