GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, my second Hand Ampera is still great, after a month of ownership, I'd found little to complain about this 2014 car, until today ! I took the mat out of the drivers side (UK car, so this problem could relate to your passenger side) and found the carpet to be rather wet in the middle of the footwell, basically under where the ball of your foot would go, the removable carpet mat itself is dry, so it looks like the water came from under.
A bit of reading online points to the possibility of water ending up there through a blocked drain under the hood, somewhere in the corners (that I couldn't locate) apparently can be blocked by dirt or leaves, those areas on mine seems fine, however, as I said, I couldn't find the actual drain hole on my quick inspection, anyway...
It seems that there was a recall, certainly for Vauxhall UK, and it seems the likely culprit is the AC evaporator drain pipe which whilst it can still put some water through and under the car as it should, water seems to find itself out inside the car, inside the tunnel, I guess somewhere under the gear selector, and then come through and settle at the lowest point in the footwell.

Questions :

I've seen some photos online, but can't place where in the car this pipe is, is it up under the dashboard somewhere, and how much trim and plastics have to come out to inspect it ?

I can run the air con, and I can look under the car, but the fact that I can see water coming out there (I didn't try yet) won't help because still some of it could be ending up inside the car also ?

Perhaps spraying water at the front of the car and observing very closely inside might show me if theres a leak coming from the under-hood drains ? but without the seat and carpet removed, this will be hard to spot

not sure on the best course of action with this, I wondered if anyone can give any advice ?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Typically a wet carpet by foot is a leaking heater core leaking coolant but this is on older collector cars. I would be surprised to find this is the case on newer cars (except for a heater core with a manufacturing fault). Sounds like you are on right track with a blocked A/C or water drain but am too new to this car to have know the details of plumbing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, I'm sure my mechanic will probably have a good idea where to look, but for now, I'm just wondering if someone can tell me where in the car I need to look for the possible source of the water, I need to know, is it out of sight, and behind which panel, or is it somewhere up under the dash that I can get to without removing trim ?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
It could very well be a clogged aircon evaporator drain hose, since the Volt/Ampera didn't come with a cabin filter from the factory. As a result, a lot of the dust and debris collects on the fins of the evaporator, and get washed down into the drain. You should be able to peel back the carpeting and find the hose.

Another possibility: Has the windscreen ever been replaced? Improper sealing of the new glass can also cause leaks to appear down there. However, this would typically happen after a rainstorm or washing the vehicle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your replies, I did infect wash the car last night actually. I reckon that I should enlist the help of my better half to hold the hose on the outside while I get the flashlight out and try and spot some water coming in, at least if we can't force water in that way, it's likely to be that evaporator. I'll keep you posted whatever

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
If you are noticing this right after going through a car wash, especially one with high pressure sprayers, then I would suspect that over an A/C issue. The sprays could have passed marginal door seals, a bad windshield seal or maybe those under hood drains you mentioned. Are you certain all windows and doors were tightly closed?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, everything was closed, I washed the car last night, but it was just with a hose. The water really is right under the center of the floor, right under the removable carpet mat, and the top carpet mat isn't even wet, so it's certainly got under the carpet somehow and perhaps just settled in the middle, the (under) carpet in that spot is kind of worn/ discoloured, so I reckon it's been happening for a while, I put the slightly damp smell in the car down to it being closed up for some time, it's not a bad smell.... but then theres not tonnes of a leak, but it's sure something that needs putting right.

I just watched a video of someone showing water leaking from where the fitting goes onto the evaporator, and from what I could see in the video, it's located behind the plastic trim, somewhere forward of the gear shifter, sort of under that forward cubby hole in the dash, and was on your driver side / left side of your cars, my leak is also on my drivers side, so obviously the right hand footwell, I wonder if the location of the AC Evaporator is also on my drivers side ? I'm not really clear on how many bits of cars get swapped from left to right, or right to left when they're for different markets, will have to take a look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts