GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to pick up my Volt yesterday I was so excited and showed up right at 9am and my salesperson drove the car around the front of the dealership. First thing I got in and battery completely discharged. Salesperson promised Volt would be charged up ready to go, ok what. Salesperson says it has gas in it let’s go for a test drive. I was hoping to drive the car on my first voyage with it without its gas engine running. So out we go for a short run and the salesperson says a little drive will charge up the batteries. I look at him and think do these guys get any training on how the Volt works.

We get back to the dealer and all I want to is do the paper work and get out of there and get home and surprise my wife with her Valentines present the Volt. We go inside and I meet the manager and we start the paperwork. I am leasing the Volt and was told it would be a little more than the $350.00 lease special as the Volt I got is a little more than base priced model. The sticker on the Volt I was getting was $42,350.00 they give me the work sheet to sign and to by disbelief the numbers were down payment $2,500.00 and $526.00 monthly payment. I told the manager there must be a mistake are you missing the $7,500.00 rebate. He tells me no and that the numbers are correct and I keep telling him how can lease numbers on the base price Volt be that different. He than tells me you can get your calculator out and that we are not hiding anything.

This is correct he keeps telling me and then he goes over the money factor with US Bank he tells me it is .00127. What, I remember the US bank deal calculated at a money factor of .00025 he tells me no that’s not right and then I get up and walk out he follows me and then the truth comes out. He tells me, yes you are right the deal with US Bank on the lease is a money factor rate of .00025 but at our dealership we use the money factor of .00127. That’s how we lease the Volt’s here at our dealership.

Don’t you want the Volt he tells me it just a little more. Yeah right a little more the monthly payment is $526.00. Wow, no Volt for now and I will never set foot in that dealer Power Chevrolet in Santa Clarita, Ca ever again. I thought I would be enjoying a Volt today but maybe soon.

·
Super Moderator
6,424 Posts
Don’t you want the Volt he tells me it just a little more. Yeah right a little more the monthly payment is $526.00. Wow, no Volt for now and I will never set foot in that dealer Power Chevrolet in Santa Clarita, Ca ever again. I thought I would be enjoying a Volt today but maybe soon.
Sorry you had to go through that. Good for you and the way you handled it.

In other threads, some have suggested a person/email at GM to contact for dealers charging more than "MSRP" and I'm sure they would want to know about this situation because they essentially lied to you and then fessed up! I can not find that email address but I'm sure someone will come along with it.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
If he got you to sign this he would send it to another bank, call you in to hand you a check for $350.00 saying his hard work saved you a lot of money, and proceed to get a much better deal for himself and the dealer. Good thing you walked away. I once bought a car at p* Honda across the street, but I don't think I'll be at any P* dealers again after reading this.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
So add Powers Chevrolet to the "Never Buy From" List

I keep saying that car dealers have a million ways to screw you and they're professionals while you're an amateur. It is not a fair fight. Some people think that negotiating the car price is the end of the story but it's actually just part of it. The financing is always a big deal. This is one reason why I would never want to fly somewhere to pick up the car. You're really out of your element and all the advantage goes to the dealer. So kudos to you for having the fortitude to walk out and tell them to stick it.

My suggestion is to always have a backup plan before negotiating the financing. Even better, work out all the financing details before you go in to pick up the car.

And if the dealer is a jerk just add them to the "Do Not Buy From" list.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Excellent idea! Post that list here since every potential Volt owner uses this forum as a base reference before ordering their own vehicle. Post both lists (the good dealers, too) and ask the new Volt owners to mention this forum when they visit any Chevy dealer.

Raymond

·
Super Moderator
6,424 Posts
This is one reason why I would never want to fly somewhere to pick up the car. You're really out of your element and all the advantage goes to the dealer.
I'd hate to scare folks off from this especially most of this year since the Volt has limited state distribution.

For Volt buyers going out of state I think we used this forum to make sure we knew who was legit and we ask that they follow up with their purchase satisfaction. Neal Diamond from NY, for example, has had several very satisfied customers.

I think you just need to be clear on what the "out the door" cost will be and know how that number was derived. Secondly, if you are paying for the car outright or making a deposit you need to take a 'bank check' and it is made out in advance.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I wish you were living near NY......You will def have better luck in the future......This dealer certainly is in the minority and simply does'nt have his act together..

Good Luck
Neal Diamond
Atlantic Chevrolet

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I'd hate to scare folks off from this especially most of this year since the Volt has limited state distribution
You can still do this is you want, not my preference for other reasons, but if you do: (1) make sure you have the financing terms worked out in advance; and/or (2) have a back up finance option. Your back up financing plan could be all kinds of things. You could pay cash, you could have a loan from a local lender. Whatever. But be aware of the risks and make sure you have a plan.

Taking Neil Diamonds approach and going with a known good dealer is a good idea as well. Even if you have a back up plan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the exact same experience with the exact same dealer, except I did it all over the phone. They were also attempting to include $6000 worth of Lo-jack equipment and some other BS.

Ended up going to Rotolo in Fontana, CA where I got it at MSRP and the payment was ~$396 with premium trim.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I went to pick up my Volt yesterday I was so excited and showed up right at 9am and my salesperson drove the car around the front of the dealership. First thing I got in and battery completely discharged. Salesperson promised Volt would be charged up ready to go, ok what. Salesperson says it has gas in it let’s go for a test drive. I was hoping to drive the car on my first voyage with it without its gas engine running. So out we go for a short run and the salesperson says a little drive will charge up the batteries. I look at him and think do these guys get any training on how the Volt works.

We get back to the dealer and all I want to is do the paper work and get out of there and get home and surprise my wife with her Valentines present the Volt. We go inside and I meet the manager and we start the paperwork. I am leasing the Volt and was told it would be a little more than the $350.00 lease special as the Volt I got is a little more than base priced model. The sticker on the Volt I was getting was $42,350.00 they give me the work sheet to sign and to by disbelief the numbers were down payment $2,500.00 and $526.00 monthly payment. I told the manager there must be a mistake are you missing the $7,500.00 rebate. He tells me no and that the numbers are correct and I keep telling him how can lease numbers on the base price Volt be that different. He than tells me you can get your calculator out and that we are not hiding anything.

This is correct he keeps telling me and then he goes over the money factor with US Bank he tells me it is .00127. What, I remember the US bank deal calculated at a money factor of .00025 he tells me no that’s not right and then I get up and walk out he follows me and then the truth comes out. He tells me, yes you are right the deal with US Bank on the lease is a money factor rate of .00025 but at our dealership we use the money factor of .00127. That’s how we lease the Volt’s here at our dealership.

This has almost always been my experience with new car dealers.
A sad reality.

Guess that's way I drive a used car.

Rob

·
Registered
329 Posts
My experience is used car dealers are far bigger crooks then new car dealers. The consumer does not have a higher authority
to complain to.

Might I suggest that you post the sales managers email so we can all send him a note telling how as Volt owners we will tell everyone that asks about our cars not to buy from Power Chevrolet. Lost sales is the only thing these guy will react to.

John

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ended up going to Rotolo in Fontana, CA where I got it at MSRP and the payment was ~$396 with premium trim.
I bought mine at Rotolo, too, and was very pleased with the sales process, especially the MSRP [plus options]. I recommend them, too. They are a family run franchise, not part of a large corporate-owned group, like Penske for example.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Did you say that:
>> Power Chevrolet in Santa Clarita, Ca
was a crappy dealer?

I understand that:

really screwed you over on this deal. What a crappy place this:

I think your story should be posted on this company's web site. Wish I could hack into it an stick it up there on:

>> Power Chevrolet in Santa Clarita, Ca 's

web site.

I wouldn't shop there either. Where? :

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have ordered mine from Don Hewlett just outside of Austin, TX. I know there was someone on this thread that has used them and was wondering if anyone else had heard any comments on them.
I like a family owned business rather than a big corporate chain. Don Hewlett's dealer rating on Google was very good like 4.5 stars. All communication has been exceptional. It has been the little things like they will pick me up at the airport and help arrange lodging/transportation if needed the night I get into town. They also told me to plan on a couple of hours of training because they want me to know as much as possible before leaving and having my OnStar, XM, Bluetooth, and mobile app all set up before I go.

02/12/2011 - (1100) Order Placed at Dealership Order passed GM edit tables but dealers has not received allocation to place order
02/12/2011 - (1102) Order Entered via Web
02/12/2011 - (2000) Order Accepted by GM Dealer used allocation to place order into production
02/15/2011 - (2500) Order Preferenced Order pulled to the production system
02/15/2011 - (3000) Order accepted by production control. Parts being ordered and production process is underway.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Rusty you really made me LOL, thanks!

I agree with bonaire: the moral of the story is to avoid Power Chevrolet in Santa Clarita, CA.

There are lots of great Chevy dealers out there who sell for what they say they will, but Power Chevrolet in Santa Clarita, CA is not one of them.

Buyer beware!

·
Registered
442 Posts
We helped Hewlett sell 4 Volts because of our postings on here. We were not able to buy from them though because they would not honor the national lease. If you are buying from them and not leasing, we feel you will be fine. We told them from the start we were leasing and they didn't tell us that wasn't going to happen until the car was invoiced and we were getting ready to head down there. Another forum member bought ours. Since that time, we have heard they were doing a better job of letting people know buy only option as they lost several other lease deals.

Paul (Cari's husband)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I must say that I am not surprised to hear that Power Chevrolet messed this up. I spend two weeks a month in LA and stay at a hotel just down the street from Power. When news came that dealers were starting to take orders, I took a walk over there one evening. The people there gave me the creeps. Every other time I have been there or called, they told me something completely inconsistent with what was public knowledge here.

We will see if my Michigan dealer (Heritage Chevrolet) keeps their end of the agreement.

Off topic: Best sushi in LA is at Maru.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts