GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just let my brother off at his house tonight after showing him my four-week old Volt for the first time. I was on a dark two lane road with no shoulders. I noticed I was still in sport mode (sport mode is for impressing skeptical ICE fans). So I knew I could get into normal mode by tapping the mode button twice. Can you see where this is going?

Keeping my eyes on the dark, winding road I reached down and instead of hitting the mode button twice, I hit the power button (right below it) twice, which shut off the car! Yikes! I had actually read about this situation but it took me a split second to realize what had happened. The good news: the lights stayed on, and the steering and braking seemed totally normal. The dashboard changed, the green battery indicator disappearing and of course, the accelerator did nothing. I remembered to shift into neutral, but I could not get the power back on, even though I kept double pressing the power button. I guess you can't be braking for this to work, but braking was a fairly normal response at the time. Fortunately I found a wide spot on the road and could safely pull over. Once I gathered my wits, I restarted the Volt and continued on my way.

This was something I actually thought might happen given the closeness of the two buttons and their similar feel, but it was still scary. Lesson learned and no harm done. From now on, no more double pushes. If I can't change modes safely without double tapping, I will wait until I feel comfortable taking my eyes off the road. (For those few of you so inclined, please spare me your sanctimony. I know I did something stupid and I'm sharing this in the hope that others may learn.)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Good thing you were able to resolve it without incident.

FWIW: Single tap restores normal mode. Double tap goes to sport mode. Triple goes to mountain mode. Quadruple activates hold mode.

·
Registered
169 Posts
good to hear nothing bad happened! Chevy really needs to re-position the on/off button back by the steering column dash where it belongs!

·
Super Moderator
6,340 Posts
It is 2" apart center to center. Completely different look and feel.

See attached. Use your middle finger to guide your other finger in position.

Volt Mode vs Power Button.JPG . CIMG3465 (Large).jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used to use sport all the time until i found out it just remaps the pedal. So Normal/Sport will go to 0-60 at the same time if you put your foot down. I stopped doing that extra step every time i started my car.

·
Super Moderator
6,340 Posts
I used to use sport all the time until i found out it just remaps the pedal. So Normal/Sport will go to 0-60 at the same time if you put your foot down. I stopped doing that extra step every time i started my car.
It can be handy if you like the seat far back because then less pedal travel gives you good propulsion.

The fastest I can get all motor is 111 kw, so far. Up a bit from the 104-107 I see on the stock vehicle. This is in sport mode. Normal mode 100% tps mapping for throttle is
<snip>

Where as sport mode is:
<snip>
Just a visual of this relative to 702:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is 2" apart center to center. Completely different look and feel.
Totally disagree. Plastic feels like plastic. And even if they are 2" apart center to center, they are 1" apart edge to edge. But I don't recall mentioning anything about this being a design flaw, just a flaw in performance by the driver. So do you think it's a design flaw?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...The good news: the lights stayed on, and the steering and braking seemed totally normal.
That's interesting. Several weeks ago I practiced a few times, and every time for me, the lights turned OFF! Not good!

I quit practicing when a Check Engine Light went on. It went away after turning the car off and on several times.

A positive result from the practice: Now every time I want to touch the Leaf or Mode buttons, I KNOW to be extremely careful which button I press.

Edit: And I definitely feel it is a design flaw. In fact, since turning the car back ON is a problem -- tapping twice does NOT seem to work for me. What works is tap once, wait......., tap again. That's stupid! The car's On/Off switch should NOT be a push button. It should be a toggle switch: Up for on, Down for off -- or a twisty, just like a key: left for off, right for on.

·
Super Moderator
6,340 Posts
Totally disagree. Plastic feels like plastic. And even if they are 2" apart center to center, they are 1" apart edge to edge. But I don't recall mentioning anything about this being a design flaw, just a flaw in performance by the driver. So do you think it's a design flaw?
The edges are different. As well one is flat and one is slightly raised and rounded. One is lit up and the other is not. See pictures in my post.

You can enter Sport without looking and with a quick tap tap as the 'commands' are buffered. I get why they allowed the same quick taps for emergency shut offs. People will packing and repeatively hit the power button to they made it naturally work based on what people would do in a panic.

Given all I've pointed out and pictures, it has happened to enough people that I think it should have been designed different. I would be a UI (user interface) fool to think otherwise when several people have done it. Still I don't think it affects the normal masses (cars target) because I doubt they use/know/care about SPORT.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The lights turn off if you don't have 'exit lighting' turned on. My car lights stay on for 1 minute or so after I turn the car off every day, and I assume the OP has enabled that feature as well. Sounds like it would have been bad news if he hadn't had that enabled.

Certainly a design flaw. The button should probably go next to the steering wheel, off the center console altogether. At the very least it shouldn't be right next to a button where a common action is a double press.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The same thing happened to me in very heavy and fast moving traffic in Houston. I was in the fast lane and no shoulder at all in a construction zone.Traffic was moving at a steady 35-45 MPH. While keeping my eye on traffic I inadvertently hit the Power button when I went to switch from Mountain to Normal mode. The Volt stopped running and slowed fairly quickly. I put it in N and restarted the engine. Very scary experience. People honked like hell at me. It could have ended a lot worse. People sure did let me know I was number 1. Just smiled and said have a nice day!

I think this is something that GM should look into. I think disabling the Power button while the vehicle is in operation is a wise idea.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You can enter Sport without looking and with a quick tap tap as the 'commands' are buffered. I get why they allowed the same quick taps for emergency shut offs. People will packing and repeatively hit the power button to they made it naturally work based on what people would do in a panic.

[...] Still I don't think it affects the normal masses (cars target) because I doubt they use/know/care about SPORT.
Exactly right! It's a car and not a play toy, and to me, sport mode is a useless gimmick - and I've had no need for mountain mode in the 51,000+ miles of driving I've done, not even in the Smokies - haven't been through the Rockies yet.

Maybe there is a real benefit in setting the headlight off delay at 30 seconds if one is going to be punching around at buttons there.

Speaking of headlights, I did inadvertently shut off my headlights once when I dimmed the high beams for a car approaching over the crest of a hill. The forward movement of the turn signal stalk caused the switch to rotate when I pressed it with a glancing blow off the radius. Using the reasoning of the blue button location, should the headlight control / override be a knob on the instrument panel?? At least there is a legitimate reason to use the high beam dimmer switch while driving.

·
Registered
376 Posts
For an example of how it was done correctly, check out the power button on a Prius. The location on top of the dash is much better (separate from any other switches), and the switch itself is larger and more responsive, too. When you press the power button on a Prius to turn the vehicle off, it turns it off 'right now'. With the Volt, you have to be much more deliberate. Of course, that could be due to cheap GM part sourcing.

Like so many other things, Toyota did it right (at least I can't recall the issue ever coming up on Priuschat). I have no doubt that locating the power switch on a completely separate piece of real estate isn't as cost effective as just bundling it with everything else on the console (the GM way).

OTOH, this was an issue in the fatal, San Diego unintended acceleration Lexus accident. Supposedly, when the cop who was driving the loaner ES350 had managed to get the accelerator stuck in a wide-open position (due to the additional, heavy floor mat) and couldn't slow down/stop with the brake, he had also repeatedly pushed the power switch with no effect.
I have not had an issue with the placement of the power button and have never felt the center stack design was the result of cheap GM sourcing or sub-par design. I'm sure glad GM didn't follow your idea of "doing it right" when it comes to unintended acceleration.

·
Registered
976 Posts
For an example of how it was done correctly, check out the power button on a Prius. The location on top of the dash is much better (separate from any other switches), and the switch itself is larger and more responsive, too. When you press the power button on a Prius to turn the vehicle off, it turns it off 'right now'. With the Volt, you have to be much more deliberate. Of course, that could be due to cheap GM part sourcing.

Like so many other things, Toyota did it right (at least I can't recall the issue ever coming up on Priuschat). I have no doubt that locating the power switch on a completely separate piece of real estate isn't as cost effective as just bundling it with everything else on the console (the GM way).

OTOH, this was an issue in the fatal, San Diego unintended acceleration Lexus accident. Supposedly, when the cop who was driving the loaner ES350 had managed to get the accelerator stuck in a wide-open position (due to the additional, heavy floor mat) and couldn't slow down/stop with the brake, he had also repeatedly pushed the power switch with no effect.
Cheap shot on the "cheap part sourcing", which has nothing to do with a user interface.

Obviously Toyota didn't do it just right if a cop couldn't figure out how to turn off the Prius in an emergency. From the looks of what people are doing on this post, I don't think the complaint is that it is too hard to turn off a Volt.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I think if adding a simple SW mod that pulled up a confirmation screen would do the trick. Example: While in drive or L, anytime the power button is pressed the Volt asks do you really want to power down the vehicle? If so press the power button again. Then if you do not press it the message simply goes away any you keep on motoring. Easy peasy:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
This happened to me when I tried to change the mode without looking. I was given some kind of warning screen, so I was lucky enough to not press it twice to shut down. I now wait until I can safely look before I attempt to change the mode.

·
Registered
820 Posts
This happened to me when I tried to change the mode without looking. I was given some kind of warning screen, so I was lucky enough to not press it twice to shut down. I now wait until I can safely look before I attempt to change the mode.
So it already has what I described. Now I wonder if it is in all model years? But back to the OP, this would not help because he did a double press right off the bat which essentially sealed his fate...OOOOP!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I think if adding a simple SW mod that pulled up a confirmation screen would do the trick. Example: While in drive or L, anytime the power button is pressed the Volt asks do you really want to power down the vehicle? If so press the power button again. Then if you do not press it the message simply goes away any you keep on motoring. Easy peasy:)
The Volt already has this message on the DIC. I'm one on the ones whose has accidently powered his Volt off...traveling on the Freeway, at night with no street lighting. Everything went dark even the headlights. This USER INDUCED MALFUNCTION hasn't occurred again.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts