GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but I love the new design. GM did exactly what was needed and what I'd hope they would do...streamline the frontend. It's all about aerodynamics. I mean who wants an electric car with a frontend that resembles a Dodge pickup?

Lets just hope this projected pricetag of 35-40K can come down to 30-35K (or less) before the rollout.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I also like the looks. I would be happy and proud to drive around this car if only I could afford it. By the time they reach production maybe I can. There is probably still 3 years before it reaches the masses.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know that you'll find much support in your feelings for the cars looks but everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Unfortunately, I don't believe you will see a price tag under $35K. This in and of itself may doom the car from the start in that the axtra cost of the car itself will outweigh any savings you get at the pump. And, once you see your electric bill go through the roof the savings may be further offset. I have heard many people say that they will add solar panels which will be dedicated to the charging of the car. So, let me see, people are going to spend more money on a car that will already be $15,000 more than a Hyundai to begin with. I would NEVER buy an import myself (although my wife drives a Subaru WRX) but you can clearly see why the imports become more attractive when all the extra $$ for a green car is taken into consideration.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Get Real. Stop paying more for less.

I am amazed at the mentality of many who don't like what they see. They would rather have less efficiency or pay more for less. The Volt design is pleasing and GM has put a lot on the line to give us this next generation electric vehicle. This is a great step forward for the hybrid concept. GM is right on the mark. They have invested heavily in designing and engineering a vehicle with extended range, and hopefully reliability. On that score, they took plenty of time to get it right. No rushing to the market. I can't wait to see it at the dealer's lot, and give it a spin around the block.:cool:

·
Registered
170 Posts
You are not alone... but some feel they need to vent... so each of them start a post instead of posting in the tread the other guy made.

I liked the prototype, it served its purpose by changing perception that electric = boring.

And the person that look at the production car and tells me that this is a boring car, well I guess they never were really interested in having an electric car. they just wanted the exterior scin, those are the one saying they will buy a gas guzzler Camaro instead, missing the point of what the Volt is all about.

This is a nice car, exterior and interior. And we don't even know about all the nifty toys they will add to it to create a new driver experience. It will be a car for techno savy people.

I like the car, I want one, I want it in red :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm amazed that people are surpised at people complaining about the car. Are people still that ignorant that they don't know that Americans buy with their eyes, not their wallet. If the car is slightly more expensive and people love the way it looks they will buy it. Please, tell me, is it really a surprize that it took Ford less than a year to saturate the market with the Mustang? It looked great and was reasonably priced. It's not rocket science. If you're being flooded with pre orders and you change the car. Is it really that much of a surprise that you've pissed people off?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Me too, EV51. I agree with your opinion and hope, that with enough support and purchasing power, the price can get to 30-35K(or less) soon. I agree with many that pricing the Volt to high may kill an otherwise good effort by GM. Just look at the Picken's Plan to get us off foreign oil; $700 billion a year that never comes back into our economy and ends up in the hands of terrorists. We need to get off of oil except for other uses than transportation. By not supporting U.S. auto manufactures efforts to give us a domestic made electric vehicle, we loose the opportunity to create new good paying jobs for American citizens. Anyone who would consider buying an ICE vehicle instead of an electric one, when they become available, doesn't realize the damage they are doing to themselves and this wonderful country. Look at the total picture. As technology improves the battery or supercapacitor as a energy storage device, the Volt will give us better and better performance with little or no engineering changes. As batteries improve and demand/production increases, we will see a reduction in costs and price.

·
Registered
218 Posts
...but I love the new design. GM did exactly what was needed and what I'd hope they would do...streamline the frontend. It's all about aerodynamics. I mean who wants an electric car with a frontend that resembles a Dodge pickup?
Amen. I like the production design as well. I thought that the concept looked like it was from the movie RoboCop.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm amazed that people are surpised at people complaining about the car. Are people still that ignorant that they don't know that Americans buy with their eyes, not their wallet. If the car is slightly more expensive and people love the way it looks they will buy it. Please, tell me, is it really a surprize that it took Ford less than a year to saturate the market with the Mustang? It looked great and was reasonably priced. It's not rocket science. If you're being flooded with pre orders and you change the car. Is it really that much of a surprise that you've pissed people off?
Your earlier post about the price problem was spot-on. Looking like the concept OR the production version, the Volt is doomed if it's priced significantly higher than the Prius (net after hybrid tax incentives, at least.) Even the radical-looking concept wouldn't be enough to sell many units at $40k (the Lutz price) with its impractical packaging.

Your comment about Americans buying "with their eyes instead of their wallets" applies to a certain segment of the population, but NOT the ones buying Accords and Camrys and Malibus and Fusions and non-SS Impalas. If you haven't noticed, *LOTS* of Americans buy those cars I listed, and others like them. Regardless of the racy looks of the prototype, the Volt is not a car for the Z28 crowd... there may be an electric street dragster coming later from the General if the Volt is a big success, but the Volt is a small/midsize family car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please, tell me, is it really a surprize that it took Ford less than a year to saturate the market with the Mustang?
Hell yeah it was a surprise. Even Ford was surprised...no more like pleasantly shocked! Although I really dont see how this pertains to the topic. :(

If you're being flooded with pre orders and you change the car. Is it really that much of a surprise that you've pissed people off?
Define flooded.

·
Registered
252 Posts
GearheadGeek hit you spot on. I buy what I can afford, just like the majority of the population. If it looks nice, even better. My first car was a 1989 Plymouth Horizon in 1997. $500 for that piece of crap, looked like a turd on wheels. Ran it into the ground after a year and a half, cracked the block and some shady salesman called me a year later looking for the title to try and sell it again. My point, not everyone is just like you.

I've got a question for you, did you actually pre-order and are pissed off now or are you guessing at the feelings of those that pre-ordered?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts