GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And the endless cycle continues.

Today was the first time I needed a fair amount of defog and it was pretty cool so I didn't -quite- make my commute on pure electric.

the insulting part is that I was within eyesight (maybe 150 yards) of my parking space when the REX kicked on :p

Anyway... Happy Fall y'all.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Yup my GOM has started creeping down from 73 miles to 69 this morning and the only thing that has changed are the temps and tire PSI's. We are about 15 degrees on average cooler than when I picked up my 17 in Aug.

I need to increase my lost PSI, surprisingly they have dropped by 3 to 4 PSI just due to the cooler temps, they were at 38/39 and now 34/35 when COLD.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That kinda caught me off guard too. My Jeep's tires have enough total volume that they don't shift that many PSI with the temperature changes but the Volt (and even worse the low profiles on my wife's Mazda) drop a rather surprising amount once the temps drop below about 45 degrees F.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Can't wait for all the ERDTT complaints from the new owners. Not.

Here in balmy Texas, we haven't had snow/ice accumulation for years. Yeah, I posted a pic of my ELR last 'winter' with a light dusting. Melted that day. Today's high will be in the upper 70s. Tomorrow... 80s. Saturday... 90s. Not even fall much less winter weather.

·
Registered
45 Posts
About what temperature does the ERDTT kick in? We rarely drop below freezing but can spend some time in the 30's. I drive a lot of 1-2 mile hops as everything is right around the corner. That could mess with the never gasoline goal.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Our overnight lows have just started to dip into the mid 40s or low 50s. Not very cold, but I am running defog and seeing lower numbers on my guestimator. In terms of actual kWh used, it has not changed very much, but the guestimator really reacts to some heat usage.

I aired up the tires a couple of weeks ago, but it is a little cooler now, so time to add a bit more. You have to really stay on the air pressure this time of the year.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
You have to really stay on the air pressure this time of the year.
When I was living in Northern Indiana, we let air OUT of the tires for better traction.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
About what temperature does the ERDTT kick in? We rarely drop below freezing but can spend some time in the 30's. I drive a lot of 1-2 mile hops as everything is right around the corner. That could mess with the never gasoline goal.
Depends on the user setting and model year. In general, 32F or 15F.

If it's going to do ERDTT anyway, I usually just run the generator with Hold. Doesn't happen often enough in Texas to matter though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just saw my 2013 display the ERDTT message yesterday because the temp was about 29° in the morning (-1.5°C for Canadians, 271K for physicists). I haven't read anywhere about what temperature it turns on, only that it turns on if it is cold. I might as well run the car in Hold mode for the next 4 months if they think 29° is cold.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
^ your cars have a setting in the menu to lower erdtt to 15F. And when it does run, it burns less gas than hold mode.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
From the manual:

Engine Assist Heat
If equipped, this feature selects the outside temperature level at which the engine may run to assist heating in Electric Mode. A change in selection will not take effect until after the vehicle is first powered down.
Select On for temperatures below approximately 2 °C (35 °F), or select Deferred for temperatures below approximately −10 °C (15 °F).
So the engine turns on at 34F or 14F, depending on the setting.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've lived with this for years with the LEAF, the loss of tire pressure and range in the winter. The Volt will be a snap by comparison.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh, so this ERDTT is for passenger warming comfort not due to the car needing it for operational purposes? I'd pick 15 then and not use any gasoline for it down here in that case.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I have my gen I Volt set to 15 degrees and I don't see any issue with the heat at any time now that I have had my heater repaired. Not sure what was going on with the 2013 heaters but a lot of them were not getting too warm at all, at first. Good now, though. Koons Chevy fixed it on warranty.
The other thing I have noticed is how DAM*** MANY DAYS have been right at 13 degrees this past 3 years! LOL!

Oh, so this ERDTT is for passenger warming comfort not due to the car needing it for operational purposes? I'd pick 15 then and not use any gasoline for it down here in that case.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ugh. Tell me about it. On Tuesday it was 37 degrees on my way to work. I had actually taken a picture of it to send to my friends...my commute is mostly highway. I think I got 29.9 miles of EV that day going 65-70 on the highway with no heat.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
That kinda caught me off guard too. My Jeep's tires have enough total volume that they don't shift that many PSI with the temperature changes but the Volt (and even worse the low profiles on my wife's Mazda) drop a rather surprising amount once the temps drop below about 45 degrees F.
Does your Jeep have aluminum wheels?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Ugh. Tell me about it. On Tuesday it was 37 degrees on my way to work. I had actually taken a picture of it to send to my friends...my commute is mostly highway. I think I got 29.9 miles of EV that day going 65 to70 on the highway with no heat
, relax and turn the heat on!, there is no reason to drive to work with frost on the inside of the windows just to not use a few ounces of gasoline....

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I find myself driving a lot more spirited now that it's getting cooler.
Subconsciously I was probably always trying to hit that '80' each charge
But now that it's pretty much impossible, it's fair game on that pedal.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Does your Jeep have aluminum wheels?
By the ideal gas law, pressure drop should only depend on temperature and not volume. Good idea that an aluminum wheel will cool faster than a steel one, or cooling rate depends also on a surface to volume effect - high profile tire vs. low profile tire.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts