GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the autodimming mirror. After stowing my EVSE in the cargo area, it seems that slamming the hatch closed causes the mirror to tilt down. Then I have to adjust it back up before driving. Sometimes just shutting the driver's door causes it to tilt down, but not as much. Since having the liftgate struts replaced, the hatch doesn't shut as easily and requires a little more force. What can I do about the mirror?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
There should be a screw on the bottom of the mount. You can try tightening that up.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Tighten the adjustment screws. They may be hidden under plastic trim.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I don't know about the tilting problem, but I didn't like my auto dimming mirror for a couple of other reasons and found that replacing the entire mirror resolved all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know about the tilting problem, but I didn't like my auto dimming mirror for a couple of other reasons and found that replacing the entire mirror resolved all.
What did you replace it with? I have a Gentex autodimming mirror in my other car and really like it. This one seems more sensitive than the Gentex. It activates under overpasses and in parking garages where the Gentex does not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I figured out part of the problem. The mirror was UPSIDE DOWN! I looked at a bunch of pictures of 2013/2015 Volts for sale, and about half of the ones with the automatic dimming mirror had the sensor on the bottom, the other half had it on top. But when I looked at the back of the mirror that faces the windshield, I noticed the part number stamped into it was upside down. So I flipped it over and adjusted the 2 pivot points--it seems to be more solid now. And the clincher is the photocell on the back of the mirror--that photocell looks toward the windshield where it senses daylight. With the mirror upside down, the photocell is looking at the back of the black box so it never sees daylight. That's why it seemed to be too sensitive, darkening under overpasses and such. Looking at the car from outside, I can now clearly see the photocell on the driver's side. Hopefully it will work better and stay put too. Remember, that black dot on the mirror goes at the top!

·
Registered
121 Posts
After a couple of years the mirror in my 2014 started to droop. After a while I had to adjust it before every drive. Chevy replaced it under warranty and the new mirror has been good since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts