GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I had a new one tonight.

First, car charged this morning for a 5:45 am departure time. Drove to work, depleted the battery finished .5 mile on ICE.

Second, About 9 hours later got in the car and drove 28 miles home on ICE CS mode.

About half an hour after I got home the family decided to go out to eat, I had plugged the car in but with a delayed charging set to departure time. When I hit the unlock on the key fob, the ICE kicked on. I am sure I did not hit the precondition button. Got in the car and there were no dialog statements on the screen just the regular stuff. Hit the start button and everything came up normal. Drove to dinner, parked the car and ate.

When we came back out, I hit the unlock button and the ICE started up again... Again I am sure that it was the unlock. Got in the car ICE still running and again no indications, and the car ran fine on the way home no messages.

Got home, plugged the car in and set it to charge immediately. Locked the doors and went inside. about 5 minutes after I got home I had to get something out of the car and when I unlocked it, it started the ICE again... I check and the hood is closed, again no messages...

I'm stumped. Any body have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
It would be a first.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
No messages? Battery too cold perhaps?

My ELR does something similar. Ambient temp 19F.

-proximity unlock and put laptop behind front seat
-turn on car (already did remote start earlier)
-unplug car and engine starts ERDTT.

My setting is to not start engine when plugged in. My ERDTT is at factory setting. I know it’s ERDTT, but, I’m outside the car and don’t see the dash message.

For yours: is the car off? Maybe unlocking a running Volt instantiates ERDTT.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
My thought is similar to Loboc's. This could make sense if you did not turn the car off when you parked it. If the car was definitely off, and definitely not preconditioning, then the behavior you are reporting makes no sense to me. AFAIK, the car should not do what you described.

Various odd, wonky problems have sometimes been traced to a weak 12V battery or poor battery connection. Also, some owners have done a deep reboot of their cars by disconnecting the 12V battery. This has cleared some odd issues.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Definitely odd behavior. Try a full reset (unplug/replug 12V battery). Also, have the 12V battery tested, and replaced if required. See if you can read any codes using OBDII. If everything fails, a service trip may be required.

Many moons ago, my engine was running (due to ERDTT). When I turned off he car, the engine revved up very high for a second, before turning off. Never happened after that. Sometimes, odd things do happen.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
How cold is it? Did you have the car washed in freezing weather? Sometimes the sensors get wonky when they ice up after washing in freezing weather. Still, would normally show something on the dash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts