GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I licensed my new 2017 Premier this afternoon. Washed the car and came home to put on the new plates. Much to my surprise, there are no screws in any of the plate holders. Has anyone else had this issue or did the dealer fail to give them to me? I've never had this with any other car before.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I licensed my new 2017 Premier this afternoon. Washed the car and came home to put on the new plates. Much to my surprise, there are no screws in any of the plate holders. Has anyone else had this issue or did the dealer fail to give them to me? I've never had this with any other car before.
Hmmm. Yeah. Sounds like the dealer may have forgot to include those. Though I'm in California where the cars have paper dealer advertising plates off the lot, so they always have the screws in place.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Dealer Fail!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I throw the ugly dealer screws away. Decorative ones from Pep Boys are much nicer. Along with a chrome plate surround.

·
Registered
678 Posts
In Washington State front plates are required. My wife got in a fender bender in our Prius and I just mounted the plate
on the dashboard against the windshield. She promised to save up the money to buy a new bumper, pre-painted and
available on eBay...I'm still waiting for her to come up with the dough... Me thinks I will have to pony up the money
as she is famous for saying, "I'll pay for that!", and eventually asking me to pay for things instead. It's OK, but the
experiment with placing the plate up there and never being pulled over in two months has raised the idea in my
mind - when time comes to order my 2nd gen Volt, to have them leave the front plate mount off...And just custom
mount the plate against the inside of the windshield on the passenger side.

Just think if the aero drag from that vertical slab of metal ruining the thousands of hours GM engineers spent
refining the aerodynamics of the Volt's nose! I bet I gain .5 MPG out of that, plus the aesthetics aren't ruined.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I throw the ugly dealer screws away. Decorative ones from Pep Boys are much nicer. Along with a chrome plate surround.
Yup, I like the stainless hex-head ones better anyway.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I do the same. But always black headed screws with a very simple and minimal black frame. Also IIRC, there were only two of the plastic blocks that the screws tighten into, so I had to add two more for all four screws. Another FLAPS item.

It is amazing when driving down the road to observe how carelessly most license plates are mounted. Even on high dollar cars where the rest of the car is pristine. Frames with dealer ads, no frames, bent frames, frames with stupid messages, missing screws, etc. Like maybe one in fifty actually look ok. It is so simple and inexpensive to do it right...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm typically screwed by car dealers, but I guess not this time. I called the parts department today at the dealer and the screws were surprised they were missing too. He even asked if there was an advertising plate on the back which would typically have at least two screws. They remembered to put their dealer sticker on the back (which I peeled off the minute I got home), but they failed with the screws. Oh well. I'll head to Pep Boys or something and find some nice ones. Its easier than driving across town to get the dealer freebies.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I'm typically screwed by car dealers, but I guess not this time. I called the parts department today at the dealer and the screws were surprised they were missing too. He even asked if there was an advertising plate on the back which would typically have at least two screws. They remembered to put their dealer sticker on the back (which I peeled off the minute I got home), but they failed with the screws. Oh well. I'll head to Pep Boys or something and find some nice ones. Its easier than driving across town to get the dealer freebies.
Forget the dealer. First, unscrew whatever your dealer put in back and see if any of the square white nylon nuts are missing. Then go to your local FLAPS (e.g., Pep Boys, etc) and pick up the following: Pack of the white nylon nuts (if needed), pack of black hex head screws (1/4-20x5/8), and a simple black metal frame - like the Cruiser #15050 or similar (http://www.cruiserframes.com/cruiser-accessories/cruiser-frames-basic-black-license-plate-frames.asp).

The front is same as the back (simple black frame and four black screws). However it won't need the white plastic nuts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts