GM Volt Forum banner

WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors are ready!!! :)

40608 Views 127 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  xfarmer
Thank you to 0to60n8 and other Forum members who have filled out "Request Product" info on WeatherTech.com, side window deflectors for Chevy Volt are finally ready.

For those of you familiar with the deflectors, no explanation is necessary. For others who are looking for solution to increase airflow inside your Volt without using HVAC...

OR

Reduce wind buffeting noise while driving with windows open...

OR

People looking for ways to keep the interior dry while using your L1 EVSE looped through your front windows in the rain... your prayers have been answered.

Here are the part numbers:
80731 - front set, dark tint
81731 - rear set, dark tint or

82731 - front and rear kit.

These parts do not appear on the WeatherTech website yet - you have to contact them by phone (800)441-6287 to order.

Cost for front and rear set, shipping included is approx. $114 - shipping cost may vary depending on your location.

If you'd rather wait until you can see installed photos, I expect to have mine by middle of next week. 0to60n8 might beat me to the install :).
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

· Registered
332 Posts
Thanks for the post Edju. I have them on other cars and I can have my windows cracked in the rain and get fresh air. On a nice day in the Camry having the front windows down, like the Volt, has be really bad buffer sound. The deflectors really help eliminate that in the Camry. The buffer sound is really much worse in the Volt, but I bet this will fix that.

When I get them on the Volt we'll let you know. WeatherTech is an American company with Made in USA products and materials.

· Registered
593 Posts
Yahou! Tks for the info ;)

· Registered
6,863 Posts
I'll be curious to see if they eliminate or reduce the horrible turbulence "air hammer" caused when you lower the windows. That alone will cause me to buy them.

· Registered
1,081 Posts
Just Ordered mine and the front part # in the OP is not correct.

80731 & 81731 $114.95

Also they said they only sell them in the In-Channel configuration, Which I was wanting anyway as I have door pillar post covers. They also said they are only being offered in light or dark smoke.

Woo Woo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally

· Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just Ordered mine and the front part # in the OP is not correct.

80731 & 81731 $114.95

Also they said they only sell them in the In-Channel configuration, Which I was wanting anyway as I have door pillar post covers. They also said they are only being offered in light or dark smoke.

Woo Woo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally
Thank you Jim for pointing out the error. I've made the correction in the first post. If they solve the various problems as I suspect they would, perhaps the post can become a sticky. Stay tuned :)

· Registered
286 Posts
After going to the WeatherTech web site and watching their video I have to ask "what exactly do these do?"

So far all I can see is that you could possibly have your window opened just a crack and not let moisture in your car. But why would I need to do that? I do see how this being a possible vector for even more noise in the Volt. And I know I don't want that for sure! I'm also not sure about the way the car would look with these things on. Kind of reminds me of those bug deflectors you see on cars in Florida.

It would be interesting if one of the forum members could post a video once they have theirs to show what practical use these have.

· Registered
1,081 Posts
I know you have not had your Volt long Richard, but those of us that have know that when you open all 4 windows about an inch the buffeting noise is gone and the deflectors will allow you to do that even in rainy weather. I have had these on many vehicles and if the car is subject to the aerodynamic chatter as it is also known it does not add to it but reduces it. And yes it is a preference and you don't need to do it but many of us want that flexibility and have been waiting years for them to be released by any company.

· Administrator
23,406 Posts
The buffeting noise is due to the aerodynamics of the Volt. The Volt's slippery shape increases battery range at the cost of thrumming when the windows are rolled down above ~45 mph. So making the Volt less aerodynamic (less efficient) will lessen the effect.

This can be done by installing a different set of sideview mirror skull caps that introduce turbulence (drag, less aerodynamic). GM sells a "wind buffering kit" as an option for the Volt. Chevrolet's Michelle Malcho said, "Some customers would prefer to drive with the windows down regardless of a loss of efficiency, but may find the wind buffeting annoying. Chevrolet has developed a dealer installed package that causes a disruption in the air flow around the car and minimizes wind buffeting when the windows are down. These parts and installation can be purchased through the Chevrolet dealer."

Wind Buffering Kit: A harder edged "tab" molded to the side of the cap.
Car Vehicle Mirror Rear-view mirror Automotive mirror
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Automotive mirror Rear-view mirror

The parts are about $320. Painted to match the car is another $100 or so. One gm-volt member who installed them reported, "Just drove 400 miles today. It looks like my CS MPG is definitely reduced with this mod. At 75 MPH I measured 36.9 MPG, at 65-70 mileage improves to 40 MPG. My Volt is 34 months old, when new it used to average 41 MPG on the highway. "

Another fix for buffeting is to open the rear windows a crack. This is what I do. But if you open all your windows completely at 50 MPH you better wear some ear plugs! :)

· Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like them, but they would probably cost you a mile or two of AER and I don't know if they are worth that...
voltbeaupre - there is a possibility to a nominal hit to AER. Then again, the deflectors allow one to defog the interior without running the HVAC. So depending on one's usage, one might gain AER.

In my case, I don't drive often enough where I run out of battery charge (less than 10 times in 28,400+ miles) where I can collect enough data to quantify the change.

FYI, I've had them installed on a 2000 Land Rover Discovery, 2009 VW Jetta and now 2012 Volt.

· Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After going to the WeatherTech web site and watching their video I have to ask "what exactly do these do?"

So far all I can see is that you could possibly have your window opened just a crack and not let moisture in your car. But why would I need to do that?
richard13, I minimize HVAC use in all my vehicles, and having these deflectors will let me run the Volt without running the A/C and keeping the windows from fogging up. That's a big plus for me.

I do see how this being a possible vector for even more noise in the Volt. And I know I don't want that for sure!
I don't think that will happen, and I'll let you know next week. I don't have them yet, but they are on order.

I'm also not sure about the way the car would look with these things on. Kind of reminds me of those bug deflectors you see on cars in Florida.
That is the biggest drawback of the deflectors. Some people hate the way they look. For me, I've already used them on multiple vehicles, and their utility outweighs the aesthetics.

It would be interesting if one of the forum members could post a video once they have theirs to show what practical use these have.
I'll try to shoot a video to document the changes.

· Administrator
23,406 Posts
voltbeaupre - there is a possibility to a nominal hit to AER. Then again, the deflectors allow one to defog the interior without running the HVAC.
I open my window a crack, Edju. No buffeting, the fog clears.

· Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I open my window a crack, Edju. No buffeting, the fog clears.
Steverino - that's what I've been doing too. And it seems rain drops make their way in no matter how I modulate the window opening.

Again, these deflectors aren't for everyone. I'm just glad a company finally paid attention to our request.

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Looks like just a different engineering compromise. I'm guessing these are going to lower the buffeting effect and noise at the cost of increased aerodynamic drag whether the window is open or not. So the driver has a choice; use these if he insists on opening the windows at highway speeds, or just leave them closed and adjust the HVAC for the desired climate. Whatever works. I've gotten used to the windows closed environment while driving. I can listen to the radio (at a lower volume), talk to a passenger, or answer the phone (hands free) without so much background noise. Some people want sun roofs. My current car has one. My experience is it's noisier even when stopped in urban traffic, glare from overhead can be annoying and exposure can give you sunburn, all sorts of air-borne stuff can enter and drop on your head; bugs, leaves, trash, bird droppings. I rarely open the thing. Sure, fresh air can be nice and it can initially cool off the car a little faster than the AC. No sun roof isn't a deal breaker and my windows are generally closed unless I need to open them to pass things or information through them.

· Registered
593 Posts
Thank you Jim for pointing out the error. I've made the correction in the first post. If they solve the various problems as I suspect they would, perhaps the post can become a sticky. Stay tuned :)
Just called weathertech Canada and they say those numers are for a buick Lacrosse, not for a volt!

· Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Just called weathertech Canada and they say those numers are for a buick Lacrosse, not for a volt!
Driverguy01,
I just spoke to WeatherTech USA and they confirmed the part numbers are for Volt. I'll verify for you when I get them in few days. My order hasn't shipped yet.

New info: Buick LaCrosse PNs are 80521 (front) and 81521 (rear). Volt PNs are 80731 (front) and 81731 (rear).

· Registered
2013 Diamond White
365 Posts
Edit, HI
How did you decide on light or dark tint? I've had dark in the past on dark vehicles. Current Volt is white. I am thinking the dark may look pretty good-looking on white. What say the rest of you?

· Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Edit, HI
How did you decide on light or dark tint? I've had dark in the past on dark vehicles. Current Volt is white. I am thinking the dark may look pretty good-looking on white. What say the rest of you?
e004698, I think it depends on the vehicle's color and window tint color, if they are tinted.
My Volt is black, with only the rear windows tinted (California regulation). I've always had dark tint deflectors on my other cars, so I went with dark again.

I'll post photos when they are installed, hopefully by next weekend.

· Registered
286 Posts
I know you have not had your Volt long Richard, but those of us that have know that when you open all 4 windows about an inch the buffeting noise is gone and the deflectors will allow you to do that even in rainy weather. I have had these on many vehicles and if the car is subject to the aerodynamic chatter as it is also known it does not add to it but reduces it. And yes it is a preference and you don't need to do it but many of us want that flexibility and have been waiting years for them to be released by any company.
richard13, I minimize HVAC use in all my vehicles, and having these deflectors will let me run the Volt without running the A/C and keeping the windows from fogging up. That's a big plus for me.

I don't think that will happen, and I'll let you know next week. I don't have them yet, but they are on order.

That is the biggest drawback of the deflectors. Some people hate the way they look. For me, I've already used them on multiple vehicles, and their utility outweighs the aesthetics.

I'll try to shoot a video to document the changes.
Jim: You are right. I've only had my Volt through the winter months. So no driving with the windows down for me right now. :) We'll see in the summer but even then I'll likely only drive with windows down at low speed. I don't like the wind (and I guess I have buffeting to look forward to) that comes with driving any car at high speed with the windows down.

Edju: Thanks for your response. I look forward to your review of this product.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.