GM Volt Forum banner

Weather Alerts from a different state

2975 11
I ended up buying a 2014. I couldn't justify waiting around for the 2016s with the price I got on my '14. I've really enjoyed the car so far, but I've run into a minor annoyance. I bought my car in Illinois, near Chicago. I am constantly getting weather alerts / warnings for the Chicago area at the bottom of the center display. I double checked the settings for weather alerts, which looked like this:

Hmm, okay — maybe it takes a while for "current location" to take effect, I'll give it a few days. Nope, still getting weather alerts for Cook County even though I haven't been in Illinois since I picked up my car on Memorial Day.

Okay, let's be more explicit:

No change... even when I explicitly set my weather station to Milwaukee, I'm still getting Illinois weather alerts.

Okay, Fine, let's just turn off weather alerts!

Maybe not. Next time I start the car, the pesky weather alerts have turned themself back on. I actually wouldn't mind them, if they were at all useful to me — but I don't live in Illinois, so I don't really care if there's a Godzilla attack there, yet alone a flash flood advisory.

Anyone have any ideas or do I just need to wait for my XM trial to end?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
10,056 Posts
I had the exact same problem with a car from Michigan. I took it to the dealer and they "reflashed" it. I get Illinois weather alerts now, but I wouldn't say they're any more helpful. I get alerts for counties I've never heard of and seldom my own county.

It still has the problem with not remembering to turn off weather alerts the next time I turn the car on. The only fix I've heard of is to cancel XM, but I got 3 years free, so....

I know a few spots that would benefit from a Godzilla attack.

· Registered
1,182 Posts
Hate to tell you this- but even if you let your XM free trial end... they give you a couple of free periods per year so those damn weather alerts will still bother you a couple of times per year.

Ask me how I know :mad:

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'll take it to the dealer (have a TPMS issue that needs to be checked anyways). Hopefully they can at least give me some Wisconsin warnings. From what I've read on a Cruze forum, XM can turn off the weather alerts after the trial is over. I'm considering keeping XM if I can talk them down (quite significantly) with their rates.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hate to tell you this- but even if you let your XM free trial end... they give you a couple of free periods per year so those damn weather alerts will still bother you a couple of times per year.

Yeah -- it's insane that there's a setting to disable the alerts that reverts when the vehicle is powered off. Who on earth would want to turn alerts off by digging through 4 levels of menus just until they power the vehicle off?

· Registered
10,056 Posts

True. The real fix is to program that weather alert menu button to be set properly so that it sticks when I set it to off. Not high on their priority list I'm sure.

· Registered
10,056 Posts
Yeah. I wish the center stack wasn't so much of an after-thought, and received regular free over the air updates... but meh, I guess I'll have to live with it until years from now when I buy a Gen-2 or Gen-3 :D
That's OnStar only from what I've heard and yes you'll get that no matter what. I'm sure my Silverado gets them too, I just don't have a history list I can view there (mine's an '08). New Silverados probably can show the list.

· Registered
4,890 Posts
I am curiously waiting to see if GM assigns me one :)
It'll be a long wait...if you don't have a problem and therefore you never contact the volt advisory group...you won't be assigned one that will contact you without you first contacting them...Never had any dealings with them in the time we've owned our 2013 Volt...:)

· Registered
3,504 Posts
It'll be a long wait...if you don't have a problem and therefore you never contact the volt advisory group...you won't be assigned one that will contact you without you first contacting them...Never had any dealings with them in the time we've owned our 2013 Volt...:)
It might be different for Canada vs US, but I received a call after 4-6 weeks or so to see how things were going.

And at least you have an option to disable weather alerts (even if it doesn't stick)
We have no options at all in Canada. And we don't even get Canadian data, its the nearest US counties. So annoying.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.