GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I bought my 2012 Volt yesterday and noticed the hatchback was harder to open than a different Volt I had previously test driven. The main difference is that on a flat surface I have to put muscle into pushing the gate all the way up for it to stay there- the one I test drove I pushed the button and gently lifted and it opened smoothly all the way. So when I got home from work and park in the driveway which is at an incline of probably about 15 degrees (the air dam scrapes SUPER hard), I opened the gate to get some bags out, when BAM it comes down full force right on the back of my head. Has anyone heard of this happening on a Volt?
Bruised,
Nate

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,654 Posts
Your incident is identical to the ones that caused a safety recall on the struts. I'm going to assume that your car has not had the recall done. See any Chevy dealer.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Hi all,
I bought my 2012 Volt yesterday and noticed the hatchback was harder to open than a different Volt I had previously test driven. The main difference is that on a flat surface I have to put muscle into pushing the gate all the way up for it to stay there- the one I test drove I pushed the button and gently lifted and it opened smoothly all the way. So when I got home from work and park in the driveway which is at an incline of probably about 15 degrees (the air dam scrapes SUPER hard), I opened the gate to get some bags out, when BAM it comes down full force right on the back of my head. Has anyone heard of this happening on a Volt?
Bruised,
Nate
There's a recall on the struts. Call the dealer with your VIN# and see if it's been done yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have looked up recalls pertaining to my VIN and all results say there are no recalls out for it. Interesting and little infuriating but I will call Monday. Thanks

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
check your on-star on line monthly report and if you have selected a dealer they should get a report as well.

My dealer has been sending emails to me monthly to get it done along with the shutdown software change.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
If the recall is marked as complete, bring it in to show them that it is still unsafe and to replace it again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My experience has been similar. My hatch struts have needed to be replaced about once a year. I purchased my 2011 Volt in 01/2012. The struts have been replaced twice. And I'm now experiencing the same issue again. So counting the original pair plus replacements, I've gone through three sets of struts in three years.

When the car is parked on an incline, the rather heavy hatch will now drop on my head with little or no warning. Frankly a safety hazard.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had mentioned that I've now gone through several sets of struts. And that my current set was failing. I took the car to my dealer today and they replaced the current set. This will now be my fourth set.

They made an interesting discovery. The current set was installed early this year. They were a post recall set, with black band around the middle. That set was installed incorrectly. Apparently there is a L and R unit. Per the service manager, they were each installed on the wrong side. So only lasted about a half year.

My first two sets were the original, flawed design. So is understandable that they started to fail.

Hopefully this fourth set will last me a long time.

I will give the service department credit. They had the integrity to promptly acknowledge their mistake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts