GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gas hit $1.639 here in Vancouver today and I'm gloating lol

That's $7.44 CAD per imperial gallon or $6.20 per US gallon.

At that price my old ICE would have cost me $100 to fill up for a range of 500kms. That same range costs me under $8 with the Volt

The local paper took a poll on how drivers would cope and sadly only 11% said they would consider an EV.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Consider yourself still lucky that you don't live in Europe where it's about $2.45 CAD equivalent per litre.
Very few people there would consider an EV either (probably because the cost of electricity is about 35-40 cents CAD per kWH).

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Its all the tax imposed on fuel, its not the real actual cost of the fuel on the world market. The high tax imposed on fuel in Europe
is due to in part to all that "Free" health care.

Do the people in Canada actually know what percentage of the tax on a gallon of fuel supports what part of the Canadian Government?

I believe a gallon of reg gas NY price is about $2.00(U.S.) per U.S. gallon

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
513 Posts
Post a link to that please - If true, that would mean New York State has the lowest gas prices (by far) of any of the 50 states . . . . and I don't believe that's the case. We're paying about $2.50 per gallon here in Mississippi and we typically have prices at or near the lowest in the US

Don

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Post a link to that please - If true, that would mean New York State has the lowest gas prices (by far) of any of the 50 states . . . . and I don't believe that's the case. We're paying about $2.50 per gallon here in Mississippi and we typically have prices at or near the lowest in the US

Don
Go to gasbuddy.com and put in NYC as your location and you will see the prices.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just paid $2.99/gallon for regular on Saturday to fill up the lawnmower tank. Premium was $3.75.

I'm glad I haven't had to buy gas in 3 months. The Volt had to do "Scheduled Engine Maintenance" this morning, so I burned .07 gallons on the drive to work this morning. Kinda made me mad, but I understand needing to run the engine every once in a while to make sure everything stays lubricated.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I am waiting to see what happens with E15 available year-round

·
Registered
101 Posts
Where I live (just north of Austin, TX) regular for us (at my local HEB) was $2.47 last night which would be nice but having a Gen 1 I need to use premium which was $2.95

Thankfully I only pay ~$0.086/kwh for electricity and hardly need to use gas.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Lowest price at the moment for 'regular' 95E10 fuel is 1.47€/L (Southern Finland) and for 'premium' 98E5 is 1.56€/L. Our octane ratings are different from those used in NA (EU uses RON), they roughly match 91 and 94 US. EU spec Volt owner's manual states 95 RON or higher is recommended so I don't have to buy the more expensive 98E5 fuel... I always find a bit funny when some NA people complain about having to buy 'expensive' premium gas for their Gen 1 Volt ;) My electricity rate is about 0.12€/kWh btw.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Lowest price at the moment for 'regular' 95E10 fuel is 1.47€/L (Southern Finland) and for 'premium' 98E5 is 1.56€/L. Our octane ratings are different from those used in NA (EU uses RON), they roughly match 91 and 94 US. EU spec Volt owner's manual states 95 RON or higher is recommended so I don't have to buy the more expensive 98E5 fuel... I always find a bit funny when some NA people complain about having to buy 'expensive' premium gas for their Gen 1 Volt ;) My electricity rate is about 0.12€/kWh btw.
It's all relative.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
,,, The high tax imposed on fuel in Europe is due to in part to all that "Free" health care.

Do the people in Canada actually know what percentage of the tax on a gallon of fuel supports what part of the Canadian Government?
Sounds Fair Enough to me! Wish we had that here!

Do you know where US taxes on fuel is used here?

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
659 Posts
Does BC have the dreaded carbon tax in play there yet ( the hated Trudeau carbon tax that 3 provinces just said FU to the feds)? Our newly elected premier in Ontario just killed the tax and fuel prices have been dropping. Filled up wife’s car at Costco for $1.149 last weekend.
Gas hit $1.639 here in Vancouver today and I'm gloating lol

That's $7.44 CAD per imperial gallon or $6.20 per US gallon.

At that price my old ICE would have cost me $100 to fill up for a range of 500kms. That same range costs me under $8 with the Volt

The local paper took a poll on how drivers would cope and sadly only 11% said they would consider an EV.

·
Registered
2013 Diamond White
383 Posts
Its all the tax imposed on fuel, its not the real actual cost of the fuel on the world market. The high tax imposed on fuel in Europe

Do the people in the USA consider what it costs us to patrol the Persian Gulf with the U.S. Navy? It may not be reflected in the price of a gallon of gas, but believe me, it would pay for a lot of health care.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Here in S. Louisiana, the price for regular is $2.45 a gallon, and $2.80 for premium. This is at Sam's Club.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does BC have the dreaded carbon tax in play there yet ( the hated Trudeau carbon tax that 3 provinces just said FU to the feds)? Our newly elected premier in Ontario just killed the tax and fuel prices have been dropping. Filled up wife’s car at Costco for $1.149 last weekend.

Carbon tax in BC is 7.78 cents/liter (30cents/US gal)

·
Registered
6,464 Posts

Umm, do you actually believe any of what you just wrote?

The reason gasoline is cheap in the United States is because it is highly subsidized, mostly paid for with the blood of our servicemen and women.

Canadian healthcare costs less per citizen than we pay in the United States, and Canadian healthcare results in better outcomes.

If anything, based on its impacts on the climate and environment, gasoline in the United States should have an additional $2 per gallon surcharge (about what it costs us currently to pay for the damages caused by an additional 20 lbs of CO2 in the atmosphere).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts