GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazing!

While swapping in snow tires this weekend in preparation for an ice storm, I decided to take a peek at my front brake pads with almost 90K miles. It's as if they are brand new (look for the curve in the reflection). Barring a stuck caliper, I may never need a new set of brake pads.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
.... Barring a stuck caliper, I may never need a new set of brake pads.
A stuck caliper piston is unlikely since it has not moved much from it's original position.
What you should consider doing is checking the caliper assembly slider pins. They are can get water and salt past the boots and rust up. I had that on one pin on my Spark EV that was rusted solid. I barely was able to remove it to clean it. (Cheap korean parts?)

But then since these cars don't wear through the pads it would be awhile before a rusted slider pin would start causing a problem.
Still, it's an easy maintenance item to disassemble, clean and re-grease.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An without driving in L. I'm shocked!

I guess no matter what we'll be saving our brakes for our great-grandchildren to inherit. :rolleyes:
Correct, I am a normal D with brakes type of driver. I also spent the first 2 years driving like a grandpa, then the last 2.3 years driving like Jeff Gordon, hitting brakes hard before taking accelerating hard out of the corners. I’m convinced regen kicks in no matter whether you are in D or L and those driving in L or using regen paddles hoping to save their brake pads are wasting their time. Here’s the proof.

·
Super Moderator
6,431 Posts
Correct, I am a normal D with brakes type of driver. I also spent the first 2 years driving like a grandpa, then the last 2.3 years driving like Jeff Gordon, hitting brakes hard before taking accelerating hard out of the corners. I’m convinced regen kicks in no matter whether you are in D or L and those driving in L or using regen paddles hoping to save their brake pads are wasting their time. Here’s the proof.
You are a good test example for sure. I think a lot of people like computer control max regen'ing in L (Low setting not gear like typical auto transmission) so they can do close to one-pedal driving.

I know you know what one-pedal (aka single-pedal) driving is but there may be some knew folks reading this:
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...r-2011-chevy-volt-drive-like-a-tesla-roadster

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are a good test example for sure. I think a lot of people like computer control max regen'ing in L (Low setting not gear like typical auto transmission) so they can do close to one-pedal driving.

I know you know what one-pedal (aka single-pedal) driving is but there may be some knew folks reading this:
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...r-2011-chevy-volt-drive-like-a-tesla-roadster
If I get a Tesla, maybe I’ll become a 1 pedal driver, unless Tesla ever implements blended brakes with auto-regen like the volt.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
If I get a Tesla, maybe I’ll become a 1 pedal driver, unless Tesla ever implements blended brakes with auto-regen like the volt.
You'll have to become a '1 Pedal' driver with a Tesla if you want more than a very minor regen.

Doesn't Tesla offer two levels of regen?
The one that demands you adopt to the '1 Pedal' driving style. Let off the Go Pedal = Full Regen.
The other is a minor amount and regen when you let off the Go Pedal.

And as always, anytime you are on the Brake Pedal with a Tesla you are using the Friction Brakes turning Kinetic Energy into Heat.
As Old School as it gets.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'll have to become a '1 Pedal' driver with a Tesla if you want more than a very minor regen.

The one that demands you adopt to the '1 Pedal' driving style. Let off the Go Pedal = Full Regen.
The other is a minor amount and regen when you let off the Go Pedal.

And as always, anytime you are on the Brake Pedal with a Tesla you are using the Friction Brakes turning Kinetic Energy into Heat.
As Old School as it gets.
Except, the Tesla has a slider bar to adjust the regen level in advance to your tastes. It’s not a toggle switch.

Speaking of Tesla, have any Tesla owners needed new brake pads? I can give them mine :)

·
Super Moderator
6,431 Posts
You are correct, LLninja's, statement above is wrong (slider is for charging %). There is a Standard and Low Regen option. I use Standard on my X.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You are correct, LLninja's, statement above is wrong (slider is for charging %). There is a Standard and Low Regen option. I use Standard on my X.
I stand corrected. My only experience driving a Tesla was fiddling with the entire infotainment system for about an hour and a quick 10 minute drive, so I wasn’t able to piece all the features together.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
By the time you save up to get a tesla,,they'll be out of business,,just finance 1 now and be done w/ it.:p

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I already own put options on TSLA. Maybe the profit from that can net me a new Roadster :p.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
....Speaking of Tesla, have any Tesla owners needed new brake pads? I can give them mine :)
The answer is YES, to the tune of 4, (or was it 5?) figures $$$.

Remember, Brakes is Brakes on a T. No fancy High Tech Blended Brakes here.

Some T owner in the NE had a brake issue, takes it into the 'local' T service center and was 'sold' complete brand new replacement Brembo calipers, discs, pads, the works on all 4 corners.
He was told 'Salt Water on the roads'.
I don't have a link to this sad saga,, but it's out there.

Which brings me back to Volt and Spark floating caliper slider pins. That has been reported as a problem before.
I experienced it before it turned into a problem. Why can't they make a water tight slider pin boot? :mad:

T and their (optional?) Brembos may not have sliders. They may be fixed caliper with 2, 4, 6 pistons, or gadknowswhat.:p

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Why can't they make a water tight slider pin boot? :mad:
Because it's USUALLY better to let a thing dry out if it gets wet than aim for absolute imperviousness, miss, and end up trapping corrosion-inducing moisture in there forever. It's exactly the same problem as people fussing about the Volt sometimes running the ICE without heating all the way up. But in the case of water trapped in the brake pin boot, there's basically zero chance of it heating up enough to drive out the water, while the cold ICE can be fixed with 20 minutes of Hold Mode.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts