1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
897 Posts
This is one of the reasons I bought the Volt. And it's #2 from a company domiciled in the United States. So more of the profits stay here.

The showing by Honda is impressive, but profits go back to Japan.

The domestic content for the 2018 Volt ( and perhaps late 2017's) is higher than for previous gen2 models. I don't know how it compares to gen1. The production of the ICE was moved from Mexico to Detroit.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Impressive.

The Cars.com 2018 American-Made Index

1. Jeep Cherokee: Belvidere, Ill.
2. Honda Odyssey: Lincoln, Ala.
3. Honda Ridgeline: Lincoln, Ala.
4. Ford Taurus: Chicago
5. Chevrolet Volt: Detroit
6. Honda Pilot: Lincoln, Ala.
7. Acura MDX: East Liberty, Ohio
8. Ford Explorer: Chicago
9. Ford F-150: Claycomo, Mo., and Dearborn, Mich.
10. Chevrolet Corvette: Bowling Green, Ky.

Now up to 66% from my 2011 Volt at 40%

Volt
2018 66% US/Canadian; ??% Mexico; ??% Korea <- ?
2017 50% US/Canadian; 19% Mexico; 18% Korea
2016 _________________ if you have this please provide
2015 _________________ if you have this please provide
2014 45% US/Can; 19% Korea; 17% Japan
2013 _________________ if you have this please provide
2012 46% US/Can; 18% Korea
2011 40% US/Can; 20% Korea

Model 3
2018 50% US/Canadian parts; 25% Mexico

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
The volt is #5 in this list
Last year it didn't make the top ten.

I read people posting about Tesla being American. I wonder how it didn't make either top ten list.

This is one of the reasons I bought the Volt. And it's #2 from a company domiciled in the United States. So more of the profits stay here.

With GM, I'm not so sure. I think the word "stay" might not apply. China gets 20 new EVs and what do we get that's new? Not feelin' the love here beyond the Bolt. I wonder if some of those US profits are being spent overseas.

Since I'm keeping the Volt a while longer due to nothing compelling showing up, I bought it some new wheels and tires. At least that'll be new.

I don't mind if Mary profits selling Chinese built cars to Chinese buyers (more power to her there), just don't try to sell one to me.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
I read people posting about Tesla being American. I wonder how it didn't make either top ten list.
I think the thing holding it back was mainly the Panasonic battery cell for the Model S and X.
Model 3 is different at possibly 95% per the article below.

Below via: https://chargedevs.com/newswire/tesla-model-3-could-take-the-title-of-most-american-made-car/
When Tesla begins using its new 2170 battery cell, which for Model 3 is expected to happen in the second quarter of this year,
its vehicles [Model 3, Y, etc] will be 95% made in the US, making them the “most American” cars available.

Panasonic continues to produce battery cells in Japan and elsewhere, but will be steadily expanding production at the Gigafactory in Nevada.

Tesla also plans to source much of the raw materials in those cells from the US.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Model 3LR (large battery) lists 50% US/Canadian parts, and 25% Mexican content.

tesla_100627561_l.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
The volt is #5 in this list
Last year it didn't make the top ten.

With GM, I'm not so sure. I think the word "stay" might not apply. China gets 20 new EVs and what do we get that's new? Not feelin' the love here beyond the Bolt. I wonder if some of those US profits are being spent overseas.

Since I'm keeping the Volt a while longer due to nothing compelling showing up, I bought it some new wheels and tires. At least that'll be new.

I don't mind if Mary profits selling Chinese built cars to Chinese buyers (more power to her there), just don't try to sell one to me.
It's all relative. I gotta believe more profits stay here with the Volt vs a Honda.

Also I am a union member and for me it makes a difference that the Volt was assembled in a union plant. None of the Honda plants are unionized. I know this is a contentious issue, and I am not going to get drawn into a discussion of the pros and cons of unions. I'll just say it's a personal issue to me. Our other car, a Chevy Cruze was also assembled in a union plant, and I like it that way.

Again, I'm not going to debate this issue. It's like debating religion. It will get me all wound up and nobody's mind will be changed anyway, so its rather pointless.

My 2018 Volt window sticker shows a US/Canadian content of 66%.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Model 3
2018 50% US/Canadian parts; 25% Mexico

Volt
2018 66% US/Canadian; ??% Mexico; ??% Korea
2017 50% US/Canadian; 19% Mexico; 18% Korea
2014 45% US/Can; 19% Korea; 17% Japan
2012 46% US/Can; 18% Korea
2011 40% US/Can; 20% Korea

2017 Bolt
shows 26% US/Canadian

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
It's all relative. I gotta believe more profits stay here with the Volt vs a Honda.

Also I am a union member and for me it makes a difference that the Volt was assembled in a union plant. None of the Honda plants are unionized. I know this is a contentious issue, and I am not going to get drawn into a discussion of the pros and cons of unions. I'll just say it's a personal issue to me. Our other car, a Chevy Cruze was also assembled in a union plant, and I like it that way.

Again, I'm not going to debate this issue. It's like debating religion. It will get me all wound up and nobody's mind will be changed anyway, so its rather pointless.

I said in another thread that I was neither for or against the UAW, but Mary Barra is making it hard to remain neutral. Which is to say that I'm, leaning UAW when she shuts down Lordstown while building cars with serf wage labor in Mexico.

Private unions still serve a purpose, when they're not blowing your dues on political contests they too often lose. Public unions are a perversion of what was meant to be a good thing, and are ruining states like the one I live in currently. Not too far in the future we may move to Indiana or Tennessee and build a mansion on the taxes we won't be paying anymore.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
With the rising trade war, soon you might not be able to afford any car that is not high on this list.
The trouble with any trade war is not only do you have to pay higher prices on imported goods or goods made with partly imported parts but the other countries apply tariffs on a comparable amount of US made goods meaning they will no longer be competitive which means cutbacks in production, manufacturing and services. It doesn't matter if the prices are higher if you don't have a job. None of this money comes back to the consumer which is ultimately the person who pays it.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I must have missed the post with pics of the new wheels and tires. Link please?

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I must have missed the post with pics of the new wheels and tires. Link please?
They're in transit. I'm getting impatient. ;)

They'll be at the installer tomorrow. I'll probably have them on the car by Wednesday.

I went with the same style wheels, but went for 18" this time.

·
Registered
897 Posts

I said in another thread that I was neither for or against the UAW, but Mary Barra is making it hard to remain neutral. Which is to say that I'm, leaning UAW when she shuts down Lordstown while building cars with serf wage labor in Mexico.

Private unions still serve a purpose, when they're not blowing your dues on political contests they too often lose. Public unions are a perversion of what was meant to be a good thing, and are ruining states like the one I live in currently. Not too far in the future we may move to Indiana or Tennessee and build a mansion on the taxes we won't be paying anymore.
I see they are now going to just one shift at Lordstown, and the Cruze hatch is being built in Mexico. I really hope they keep it open, but it may take another vehicle going in there.

The Cruze is a good car as compacts go but not much demand and little profit. Maybe Ford eliminating their Focus sedan will help.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They're in transit. I'm getting impatient. ;)

They'll be at the installer tomorrow. I'll probably have them on the car by Wednesday.

I went with the same style wheels, but went for 18" this time.
Well that's not every exciting. If I were to pay for another set of wheels, I'd probably do something completely different, just to be different. Yet, I've technically purchased 7 wheels over the past 2.5 years - Illinois potholes and train tracks are not kind to low profile tires and 18" rims.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Well that's not every exciting. If I were to pay for another set of wheels, I'd probably do something completely different, just to be different. Yet, I've technically purchased 7 wheels over the past 2.5 years - Illinois potholes and train tracks are not kind to low profile tires and 18" rims.
I saw a set I liked, and were similar but not the same. I took a lesson from your experience. The set I liked wasn't as structurally strong looking. I stuck with what I know is strong. Besides, I didn't see anything else I liked better, and I did go through all of the wheels they sell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts