1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
This is mainly about "taxis" and deliveries tho. Seems like a lot of Volt drivers here talk about wanting to buy (lease) and drive their own cars without automation and not be "tooled around" in slow driving cities (ie. <= 55 or even 45 mph).

Waymo and Jaguar
27-Mar-2018
Jaguar Land Rover and Waymo today announce a long-term strategic partnership. Together, the two companies will develop the world’s first premium self-driving electric vehicle for Waymo’s driverless transportation service.

https://media.jaguar.com/news/2018/...-long-term-partnership-beginning-self-driving

• Jaguar I-PACE will be the first premium self-driving electric vehicle in Waymo’s fleet
  • First Waymo self-driving I-PACE will start tests in 2018, and become part of Waymo’s driverless fleet from 2020
  • Up to 20,000 vehicles to join Waymo’s fleet in the first two years of production
  • Jaguar Land Rover and Waymo to explore other future collaborations

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Autonomous cars will first roll out to robo fleets. This is inevitable given the costs and opportunities. On the cost side. autonomous vehicles will be very expensive. To amortize the cost, you're going to need a high utilization and revenue. Robo fleets can do that. On the opportunity side, there is a lot more profit in transporting people than there is in selling vehicles. A lot more.

Individuals will have to wait. You're right about lots of Volt drivers talking about wanting to buy or lease an autonomous vehicle, but they also complain about a $40K price point. They'll have to be prepared to put a 1 or a 2 in front of that to get one.

Personally I don't think you need an autonomous car. Something that works on interstates, like SuperCruise, should work for longer trips, either pleasure or commuting. For shorter trips it's not a big deal to steer. All the other safety features like emergency braking and blind spot warning and lane keep assist should keep you safe. I never use ACC for local driving, only for longer trips.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Something that works on interstates, like SuperCruise, should work for longer trips, either pleasure or commuting...
This absolutely. A few car companies have this to the delight of their owners.

I never use ACC for local driving, only for longer trips.
ACC is a big deal and certainly removes an annoying part of driving on highways and any major road. So many cars juggling for positions or slowing/speeding up to get around trucks or people hypermiling or just driving super conservative (elders, etc).

·
Registered
716 Posts
That's a huge cash outlay, but probably dwarfed by the resultant legal costs waiting in the wings. They should probably invest a similar amount in preemptive hiring of lobbyists, litigation defense and civil law attorneys, class action attorneys, and in case the lobbyists fail in their mission, criminal defense attorneys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts