GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to be able to pull up the door knob manually (no electricity required) to unlock the door. I was able to do that for any other car that I've owned (to manually change the lock knob to locked/unlocked positions). But in volt, that's not possible once the door is locked and the lock knob dips. I need to press that lock/unlock button (requires electricity) or pull the door handle (requires electricity?)

I am wondering about this for safety reason. What is there is no electricity or it is not working anymore in an emergency situation and the door is locked? I have to break the glass to get out? How do I pull out that door knob physically?

On pg. 9 of 2018 manual, it says:

To lock or unlock the doors from
inside the vehicle:
. Press on the power door
lock switch.
. Push down the manual lock
knob on the driver door to lock
all doors. Push down the manual
lock knob on a passenger door
to lock only that door.
. Pull once on the door handle to
unlock the door and again to
open the door. Press the power
door lock switch to lock or
unlock all doors.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Read the last section of pg. 9 of the 2018 manual again. You can manually unlock and open the door by pulling the door handle twice. Try it at your leisure and be confident that you can get out of the Volt if the automatic door locking mechanism fails to operate.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Read the last section of pg. 9 of the 2018 manual again. You can manually unlock and open the door by pulling the door handle twice. Try it at your leisure and be confident that you can get out of the Volt if the automatic door locking mechanism fails to operate.
This is right. Pulling the interior door handle unlocks the door. Pull a second time to unlatch the door so you can push the door open. This does not require electricity. This is more convenient than pulling a separate lock knob because there is only one thing to find, reach, grab and pull to get out, rather than 2 things in different locations.

It won't work for the rear doors when the child safety lock is engaged.

A lot of car models have stopped using the old fashioned mushroom-shaped lock plunger that you pull up to unlock the door. Those are a security risk.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I want to be able to pull up the door knob manually (no electricity required) to unlock the door. I was able to do that for any other car that I've owned (to manually change the lock knob to locked/unlocked positions). But in volt, that's not possible once the door is locked and the lock knob dips. I need to press that lock/unlock button (requires electricity) or pull the door handle (requires electricity?)

I am wondering about this for safety reason. What is there is no electricity or it is not working anymore in an emergency situation and the door is locked? I have to break the glass to get out? How do I pull out that door knob physically?

On pg. 9 of 2018 manual, it says:

To lock or unlock the doors from
inside the vehicle:
. Press on the power door
lock switch.
. Push down the manual lock
knob on the driver door to lock
all doors. Push down the manual
lock knob on a passenger door
to lock only that door.
. Pull once on the door handle to
unlock the door and again to
open the door. Press the power
door lock switch to lock or
unlock all doors.
You must not have owned a new car in a very long time. I haven't seen a lock knob that you can physically grab in more than 10 years. Pulling the door handle will open the knob. Pull on it a second time and the door will open. No electricity required.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Although the double pull on the handle without the need for electricity is an absolute fail-safe design, do we know for certain that that is occurring when the handle is pulled twice?????

An experiment with the 12 volt battery removed would put that to bed. Or does someone have schematics showing this to be absolutely true?

EDIT: I should have added with no electricity to the first question.:(

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Yes, pulling the handle engages a purely mechanical connection to unlock, open the door; pull the handle once to unlock, twice to open.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You must not have owned a new car in a very long time. I haven't seen a lock knob that you can physically grab in more than 10 years. Pulling the door handle will open the knob. Pull on it a second time and the door will open. No electricity required.
In fact, my old car was a 2012 and it has the door knob designed in such a way that I can manually/physically change it from locked or unlocked position. And actually a lot of new cars let you physically switch on/off the door knob. Look at this 2017 prius prime door knob. Check out that red knob that can be pushed forward and backward. It's this chevy door knob design that makes it not accessible once it dips.

https://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/2018-toyota-prius-prime-in-depth-review-gallery#37

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Yes, pulling the handle engages a purely mechanical connection to unlock, open the door; pull the handle once to unlock, twice to open.
Thanks for the clarification...failed 12v battery and two yanks at the door handle will open the door. That is good engineering design.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts