GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I feel like this is a potential owner FAQ, but I didn't see it in the FAQ. I also googled, but couldn't get the right terminology to find the result I'm looking for. Sorry if this has been covered before.

I'm shopping for a used Volt and I'd like to know if there's a way for me to determine how many of a Volt's total odometer miles are due to the combustion engine (vs how many miles are electric).

For example, consider the case of two Volts with 25000 miles and all other things being equal. Volt A was charged often and 75% of its miles are all-electric. Volt B was rarely charged and only 25% of its miles are all-electric. Since the Volt warranty covers the battery and electric motor for a greater time/duration than the gas engine, I would buy Volt A because it has less wear-and-tear on its combustion engine.

So I'm wondering if there's a way for me to find this information; hopefully there's some screen on the center stack, deep in the menu system.

thanks,

!!Dean
As long as the ICE has been serviced as recommended it should far outlast the rest of the vehicle:)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
As long as the ICE has been serviced as recommended it should far outlast the rest of the vehicle:)
Not me, so far I have skipped all servicing for my ICE with the exception of the bi-yearly oil change. Of course I only have 139 ICE miles after almost 3 years.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The VoltDC app will give you your lifetime MPG number in whole numbers, and voltstats.net will show you the number to two decimal places. Voltstats also lists the lifetime MPGcs. MyVolt.com stops the MPG number at 1000+. Volt owners who use US units can find precise MPG numbers there and don’t need to convert from liters/100 km to discover their lifetime gas used.
Yes, but my method is a way to determine the gas/electric miles for when you are looking at a used volt on the lot, and don't have access to the onstar data.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The estimates stated previously should get you close. I wish we had a display of hours on the engine since you also have times it will run during EV mode (especially during winters).

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
The estimates stated previously should get you close. I wish we had a display of hours on the engine since you also have times it will run during EV mode (especially during winters).
I've said this before the Volt needs either a Trip C we can dedicate to the ICE or a hard coded screen that records events since new and the ICE needs an hour meter as well. My new 2014 Stingray has an hour meter.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Just do what I do and never reset one of the trip odometers.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I use a formula
but in rough numbers, this table will do:

combined lifetime mpg %Electric
304 88%
253 85%
217 83%
190 80%
169 78%
152 75%