GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be on this like bees on honey! Watt represents the power in electricity... so fitting to have a power outlet to power the tools that manly men need for their manly man duties.... please GM, make it so!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Nice- but would never sell well in some areas...
No self dis-respecting ******* would ever consider buying an "electric pickup" cause:
1) It doesn't smoke- so you cant "roll coal" on a Prius!
2) It's not as noisy as a 747
3) It doesn't stink like diesel or gasoline
4) Doesn't require constant repairs
5) It's red- which proves it's a commie car!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice- but would never sell well in some areas...
No self dis-respecting ******* would ever consider buying an "electric pickup" cause:
1) It doesn't smoke- so you cant "roll coal" on a Prius!
2) It's not as noisy as a 747
3) It doesn't stink like diesel or gasoline
4) Doesn't require constant repairs
5) It's red- which proves it's a commie car!
Wait a minute.... I'm a *******!

All joking aside... those things are true for a few people I know! Guess I'm a disrespected ******* then! :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would buy one tomorrow...When is Lutz (Father of Volt) going start selling his pickups and vans to general public?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I gotta wonder how often these "manly men" who drive trucks actually use the parts of the truck that makes it a truck over any other vehicle. (If I need a truck, I'll just go rent it)

For what it's worth, most of the truck drivers I know at my workplace are women, not men...

·
Registered
985 Posts
I gotta wonder how often these "manly men" who drive trucks actually use the parts of the truck that makes it a truck over any other vehicle. (If I need a truck, I'll just go rent it)

For what it's worth, most of the truck drivers I know at my workplace are women, not men...
SOme simply buy it because they feel safer in it, in a case of a collision.

·
8,680 Posts
In that case, I want an All-Spark. Or possibly a Quad-Spark for the non-SciFi crowd.

Four Spark motors on independent half shafts, each driving one wheel directly (through their standard reduction gearing, of course.) Put a bunch of battery modules between the frame rails where the transmission and trasfercase used to be, and then maybe add a series only range extender under the hood - possibly the Cruze 2.0TD?

Gobs of power, AWD, dynamic handling. And probably only about $70k to start...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seems to me like this might actually make a lot of sense, given the emphasis placed on torque in truck commercials.

·
8,680 Posts
Seems to me like this might actually make a lot of sense, given the emphasis placed on torque in truck commercials.
Unless the supply chain production is limited and all committed somewhere, I think it makes a heck of lot of sense.

Based on the analysis I did a few months back, I think it'd be the fastest truck GM sells - off the line and on the highway. It'd have limited slip by default, and of course all the benefits of being basically electric (instant torque, low running costs, nothing to maintain or break.)

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?91681-Bob-Lutz-Volt-should-have-been-a-truck&p=1230113

Without a doubt, taking the most expensive parts of an EV an putting multiple sets of them into a truck will make it expensive - but that crowd is used to paying a lot of money for top end trucks, and this could outrun any of those trucks and likely get 20-25 mpg while doing it (after the battery is drained.)

·
2,358 Posts
I gotta wonder how often these "manly men" who drive trucks actually use the parts of the truck that makes it a truck over any other vehicle.
Hardly any of them. Trucks used to be "for work" - now they're about image. Trucks were a small portion of sales in our fathers' and grandfathers' times. Do today's men work more or harder than they did? :rolleyes: Not a chance.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hardly any of them. Trucks used to be "for work" - now they're about image. Trucks were a small portion of sales in our fathers' and grandfathers' times. Do today's men work more or harder than they did? :rolleyes: Not a chance.
Agreed!
Most of the pickups we see on the road here are really overly expensive "show ponies" vs working trucks.
My bro in-law has a farm upstate, with a real working pickup truck... not raised/lowered, stock exhaust, no chrome doodads, no alloy rims, running boards, light bars, grill guards, rain deflectors, etc... he has a hitch welded to the rear frame, a front hitch, keeps snows on steel rims permanently mounted year round, and if you tried to eat of the interior you'd be dead in a few hours. That's a working truck..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interestingly enough, in the last two weeks after I got my Volt, most of the responses from friends and family have been "I'd buy an electric SUV/Truck if they made one".

·
4,881 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The main reason for Pickups and SUVs is CAFE. CAFE laws limited the HP by driving MPG too high too fast. HP was so low in wagons and large cars that there was no choice for people needing 7-9 seats and tow capability.

Unintended consequences.

I would not buy a small pickup again. The difference in cost and economy is negligible. A VIA or Tesla pickup could be my retirement vehicle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts