GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I love the idea of the volt and have been following it for quite some time now. I am eagerly awaiting its release, and I plan to be one of the first to buy. I have 2 major concerns at the moment.

Obviously based on the title is, what happens if I run through a puddle of water, or if the car becomes submerged in water? Will I be electrocuted if its raining heavy and I accidently run into a flooded section of road? I understand this sounds a bit silly, but its just a concern I have with a high voltage electric vehicle. Does anyone know of any safety mechanisms in place? I hope it will be completely waterproofed.

I also have the same concern as many other about the battery life. I see they may warrant it up to 10 years or 100k miles? I dont suppose anyone has any more information. All I see is more testing needs to be done. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Obviously based on the title is, what happens if I run through a puddle of water, or if the car becomes submerged in water? Will I be electrocuted if its raining heavy and I accidently run into a flooded section of road? I understand this sounds a bit silly, but its just a concern I have with a high voltage electric vehicle.
It's not really a silly question at all. GM will no doubt be looking into all the possibilities for law suits. Given enough time, somebody somewhere will try to cross a flooded road with a Volt. These are the sort of answers that will come out in time. My guess is some kind of big ol' GFIC. I don't really know.

·
Registered
146 Posts
... what happens if I run through a puddle of water, or if the car becomes submerged in water?
Will I be electrocuted if its raining heavy and I accidentally run into a flooded section of road?
An electrocution scenario like that seems doubtful.
More than likely, the critical/high voltage electronics for the Volt will be sealed.
I went looking for complaints of EV1 drivers and found no references to drivers having been electrocuted during any kind of rain or submersion situation.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I went looking for complaints of EV1 drivers and found no references to drivers having been electrocuted during any kind of rain or submersion situation.
Not very likely to when they only had a bit over 1,000 cars on the road for a short period of time and only in warm, dryer climates.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not very likely to when they only had a bit over 1,000 cars on the road for a short period of time and only in warm, dryer climates.
Yes, and just like Albert Hammond says-'Seems It Never Rains In Southern California'.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts