GM Volt Forum banner

Water Spilled In Cargo Area $1500 Damage Not Covered By Warranty

8K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  FI Spyder 
#1 ·
I filled up several 5 gallon water bottles from the water store around the corner. A half a block from my house turning a corner one of the water bottles tipped over. Usually if that happens it leaks a little. This time the plastic cap broke off and 2 1/2 gallons leaked out by the time I got home.

The stereo started making weird noises as I backed into the garage. I turned the car off. The noises continues for a little bit. I opened the back, saw that a bottle had tipped ofer and leaked out half its contents. I immediately took everything out and started pulling the carpeted cover off and also took out the foam cover underneath and saw there is a 12 volt battery sitting in a depression filled with 3 inches of water like a little lake. I immediately soaked up all the water and even used an air compressor to blow out any water hiding under anything. Above the battery compartment and towards the front a little bit is two computer looking things. That had a little bit of water around them and I blew out and dried all of that.

I let the car sit over night open and with a fan blowing on it to dry it out. The next day I started it and it ran fine. The stereo no longer worked and the touch screen was off and inop.

I took ot to the dealer. They have had ot for a week now. It is not covered by warranty. The stereo and the power amp are fried and they say it will be around $1500 to fix.

Bottom line is don’t spill anything in the back of a Volt. The water will go right down to exposed electrical equipment and it will cost you a lot to fix. I am kind of mad that they leave such delicate electronic equipment so vunerable. I am certainly not the first guy to spill something in the back of his car.

I haven’t gotten the car back yet because they had to order the stereo and replace it only to find that the amp was destroyed to and that had to be ordered as well. I just hope they don’t replace that and then find it still doesn’t work and the price continues to skyrocket.

See less See more
#2 ·
The amp is not in the lower hatch area, it's to the right side of the hatch next to the subwoofer IIRC.

IMO, the Volt is not unique at all in not being able to take multiple gallons of water to interior electronics without issue.

The front two electrical components in the lower hatch area you mention are the charger and 12V voltage converter, and those are both mostly sealed (as evidenced by no problem in your case with splashing them with lots of water). The audio electronics in all modern cars don't use sealed connectors or take much care to completely seal the components, as it'd add a lot of cost to each to guard against a pretty "unlikely" usage case.

Sorry your radio got fried, but I wouldn't really blame the car.

#6 ·
This is an insurance claim, not a warranty claim.

#9 ·
+1. I'd take the car back immediately and contact the insurance company. This is a great point. If it's fixed before the claim is filed, by may not cover it.

I took ot to the dealer.
This is why it's so expensive... They are probably charging you $600 to install parts that only need a screw driver and are plug & play and are also charging you $900 for parts that you can get for $550 from an online dealer.

#8 ·
“Why would something you caused be covered under warranty? *. You think other modern cars can take 2.5 gallons of water into the trunk?”

Yes I do. Traditionally trunks are storage areas with zero electronics. Just a storage area. I have owned dozens of cars in my lifetime. I could pour 2 1/2 gallons in the trunk area of every single one of then and have zero damage.

This is my first time posting here and probably my last considering the snide remarks I see posted in response.

IMO putting delicate electronics right under this area was a bad design idea. I used to do audits of GM cars and was a test driver at GM for several years.

#19 ·
The last three cars I have had (Ford, GM, and Acura have all had electronics in the rear area.Not at all unusual on a modern vehicle. As others have said, this is an insurance call not a warranty call...

#14 · (Edited)
You might want to double-check what the dealer is replacing. The amp is the radio. It's an all in one unit. Make sure they give you the old parts back or refuse to pay the bill.

I agree and this has been my procedure for decades. I want the old part to verify it was replaced and because I'm curious.

I'd like to know where the parts are located that were affected by water.
Take the cargo deck off and expose the 12V battery. You will see all the other goodies down there as well.

12v should be sealed so the bottom of that standing in water shouldn't be a problem.
Right, the OP said the 12V was fine.

And if 2.5 gallons did this, what's the minimum it would take? Could a gallon spilled in just the right (wrong) place do the same thing?
Let us know the results of your experiments, :) My guess is pouring a few ounces in just the right place might do it.

Trunks transport liquids all the time such as sodas, gallon jugs of distilled or spring water, and even 2.5 gallon water containers with the little spout on them. What if something shifts in the trunk area and punctures the bottom of the water container? I may not expect it to be a warranty claim but I would sure find myself wishing that they put important electronics above the spill line back there!

Mike
The spill line? I think you are suggesting that all the electronics that are now below the deck must be mounted above the deck in the trunk/cargo area (taking up a lot of room). Of course, they would still be subject to people spilling things on them. Without mounting a big box on the roof, there are only so much space in a car that can be used for stuff like this. I think making them water-proof or enclosed inside a water-proof shell are the only realistic options. Given the rarity of the event, how much more would you be willing to pay for the car?

And then there is no-to-low cost prevention.

I pack things so they don't flip or fall. I also have a 3-bay cargo container that keeps things like grocery bags (or water jugs) upright. And I have a heavy duty deep ribbed cargo liner to help contain spills, though none on the market would contain 2-1/2 gallons. Finally, I have bungie cord and netting that can be used with the D rings in the cargo area to better lash things down to keep them from shifting.

It boils down to prevention.

Trunk Car Vehicle Auto part Family car
Trunk Vehicle Auto part Car
Car Trunk Vehicle Auto part Family car

#17 ·
The spill line? I think you are suggesting that all the electronics that are now below the deck must be mounted above the deck in the trunk/cargo area (taking up a lot of room). Of course, they would still be subject to people spilling things on them. Without mounting a big box on the roof, there are only so much space in a car that can be used for stuff like this. I think making them water-proof or enclosed inside a water-proof shell are the only realistic options. Given the rarity of the event, how much more would you be willing to pay for the car?
It is my experience from doing things like replacing the remote door lock receiver that there is plenty of dead space on the left and right of the trunk area inside the side body trim panels. Why couldn't important electronics be located inside those panels instead of below where liquids will drain if spills occur in the trunk area?

Mike

#18 ·
It is my experience from doing things like replacing the remote door lock receiver that there is plenty of dead space on the left and right of the trunk area inside the side body trim panels. Why couldn't important electronics be located inside those panels instead of below where liquids will drain if spills occur in the trunk area?

Mike
That *IS* where the amp for the audio is located along with some other electrical boxes IIRC. It's not just dead space if that's what you're thinking...

#13 ·
I'd like to know where the parts are located that were affected by water. 12v should be sealed so the bottom of that standing in water shouldn't be a problem. And if 2.5 gallons did this, what's the minimum it would take? Could a gallon spilled in just the right (wrong) place do the same thing? Trunks transport liquids all the time such as sodas, gallon jugs of distilled or spring water, and even 2.5 gallon water containers with the little spout on them. What if something shifts in the trunk area and punctures the bottom of the water container? I may not expect it to be a warranty claim but I would sure find myself wishing that they put important electronics above the spill line back there!

Mike

#15 ·
The amp is at the highest point mounted to the subwoofer if it is a bose unit. Unlikely to see water if spilled into the hatch. Of course, if the 12v circuit shorted in any way, anything along that part of the circuit could have gotten fried. Did you smell any burnt electronics at all?

#16 ·
I use thermal boxes (usually soft sides) otherwise known as coolers. For other things I have some plastic boxes similar to those used to carry milk jugs in store fridges, 24 of pop etc. that can't turn over. Yah, prevention works. Think, if it can turn over, it will turn over.

#25 ·
In over 35 years of driving I have never spilled more than a few ounces of liquid inside the car and that was coffee/soda. Perhaps I lead a charmed life?

Again, there are inexpensive, collapsable cargo carry containers readily available for those who are concerned about stuff (liquid or not) tipping over. No need to make the car into a submarine.

#26 ·
The only spill I've ever had was a pinhole leak in a gallon water jug that only leaked maybe a half cup which wouldn't be a problem. BUT, here in FL where well water tastes like rotten eggs, we buy multiple gallons of water every time we make a trip to the grocery store. I usually buy one of the 2.5 gallon containers with the spout on the bottom and I know from experience how easily the spout pops off. Carrying several plastic bags plus that 2.5 gallon container, if you raise everything up to set it on the counter and that spout rests on the edge of the counter as you are coming down, just the weight of the container is enough to pop it off and expose a 1.5 inch open hole where all the water spills out in under a minute if you are not there to stop it.

If that thing shifts in the back among other groceries or slides back and contacts a bag of water softener pellets, box of soda cans, etc. while driving, it's good to know that could cause $1500 worth of damage. I need to be WAY more careful how I load those knowing this!

Mike

#27 ·
f that thing shifts in the back among other groceries or slides back and contacts a bag of water softener pellets, box of soda cans, etc. while driving, it's good to know that could cause $1500 worth of damage. I need to be WAY more careful how I load those knowing this!

Mike
Stores sell plastic tubs of different sizes that will fit in the cargo bay. Get one or two. Put the water jugs in those. They will contain the water leak and help hold the jugs upright. Maybe $20 and your $1500 nightmare is prevented.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.