GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gen 1:

How much water depth can a Volt handle? Is the battery area and its electronic a "tub" protecting from deep water?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
On the other hand, there was a forum member caught in a flash flood that lifted and carried his car away. IIRC, it was a total loss, but I believe there was body damage. Not sure about electrical damage. As a general rule with any car, I would not want it to be in water that is deep enough to reach the body of the car.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
It's pretty well sealed underneath.However if the car was submerged for a long period with the water height equal to the top of the center console at the shifter (or higher) the battery may have taken on water through some membrane sealed vents neat the top of the housing.
Probably wouldn't hurt the cells themselves but as for the electronics within the enclosure...
Only way to know for sure would be to pull it out and inspect

WOT

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
It's pretty well sealed underneath.However if the car was submerged for a long period with the water height equal to the top of the center console at the shifter (or higher) the battery may have taken on water through some membrane sealed vents neat the top of the housing.
Probably wouldn't hurt the cells themselves but as for the electronics within the enclosure...
Only way to know for sure would be to pull it out and inspect

WOT
So, no pretending to be a submarine for extensive periods of time? I'll put away my snorkel gear and cancel my planned weekend. :)

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I had the "opportunity" to drive through about 6 inches of water yesterday in a flooded spot after a heavy rain. I opted to turn around and use a different route. All the other traffic just streamed through the water like it wasn't there, throwing up big waves as they went. 95% were SUVs and trucks with high clearance, so not of much concern to them. I decided a couple extra minutes of my time was well worth avoiding the risk, even if it was small. The only thing I regretted was letting the SUV crowd see an EV having to avoid the hazard. They were probably feeling really smug.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I had the "opportunity" to drive through about 6 inches of water yesterday in a flooded spot after a heavy rain. I opted to turn around and use a different route. All the other traffic just streamed through the water like it wasn't there, throwing up big waves as they went. 95% were SUVs and trucks with high clearance, so not of much concern to them. I decided a couple extra minutes of my time was well worth avoiding the risk, even if it was small. The only thing I regretted was letting the SUV crowd see an EV having to avoid the hazard. They were probably feeling really smug.
Heh. Water like that can easily conceal an undermined road surface, so 6" of water can become 4' of water without even a visible disturbance on the surface. "Smug" is usually the last step before "foolish".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts